My latest project- engraving related

Clavin

Craig,

What I meant by the straight line was the cutting - not the drawing. I have found it difficult to cut shell in a straight line with a jewelers saw. I always seem to get a bit of wandering here and there. Did you need to file it to be straight or were you able to cut it that way?

I have been cutting with size 1 saws, and of course if I need someting as flat seeming as that I will file it to be perfect. There is nothing "wrong" with filing. The goal is to get as good a cut as possible, but there will always be some filing in a complete piece. The more pieces in the inlay, the more off your going to be on some of them.

After you make as good a cut as you can the first time out, then you should only have to file a little.

It makes the piece take a little longer to finish, but your making art that should last way beyond you. :D

B)

The materials for the sword are sterling silver, black pearl, gold pearl, and green abalone.

Materials for the girl and water are pipestone, red abalone, gold pearl, black pearl, Mother of pearl, all in different configurations (top or botom side flipped)

Materials for the whales inlay are paua shell, silver dust, black abalone heart (extremely rare- I can't get any anymore, I don't even bother.. ) white river pearl, black plastics, mother of pearl, and the tuner knob "teeth" inlays are fossil ivory. They are actually inlaid on both sides, so when you turn the knobs the inlay remains visible.

Craig.

The tuner knob inlays are what I would call "advanced" they were more of a pain than any other inlay, and do take a lot of time! My Living sea guitar has the tuners inlaid as well, with gold stars all over to match the headstock pattern. I don't have any good pics though..

There are about 10 or so variety of shell available, and at least 20 or so stone. three common metals, and tons of plastics. Baked clays are starting to show up in some inlay as well, but I have not gotten into that yet.

Craig

clavin, man. You are my new god. guess that makes me a pagan. Those inlays are so nice, i could rant for hours. But, where do you get these shells? Stew mac only sells like 3 varieties... ok for making dots and such, but nothing ultra cool. Do you have a vendor for all the materials, or do you have to go to different places for each type? And once again, I must say, the next fretboard you are going to inlay like these ones, definately, please make a tutorial. I'm learning how to cut and inlay right now and there aren't enough tut.s on inlaying. and once again, very nice. :D:DB):D

Rescuepearl.com ( pearl- abalam, other things)

Masecraft supply- (plastics, pearl, recon stone, acrylics, tons of other stuff)

Duke of pearl- pearl orders over $1000.00 each- rare pearl species and abalam.

Andy Depaul- white river pearl, pink mussel, a lot of other odder things, but very good different shell materials.

Basically I search out whatever material suites the color or effect I need.

I have had customers wait over a month for me just to get the proper materials in.

They don't seem to mind waiting for something special.

Craig.

Hey Clavin,

Just because I am incapable of that kind of work does not mean I don't appreciate it. It is wonderful. The choice of colors/materials is first rate. The workmanship is first rate. The result is first rate.

One thing that I am not 100% sure on. The lines on the hands are in pencil, is that correct? Or did I misunderstand, and those are several pieces of inlay each?

Keep up the good work. I see some of your work in the Smithsonian some day.

Guitar Ed

Thanks..

The lines are drawn in with pencil, then engraved with a graver tool, then filled with a wax type compund.

It will wear out with play eventually, but it will take a while. Most people that get that degree of inlay are collectors, and not really using that particular guitar for gigs.

Pencil is how I get the pattern on to the shell to lay out my engraving pattern.

The process takes hours.

Craig