Stain And Blending Post Stained?

spudler

I am curious if anyone knows what I can use to lighten certain spots on the guitar body I stained?? I followed all directions exactly, I used pre stain wood conditioner let it sit for max 15 min wiped it off and within 5 min applied the Minwax dark walnut stain, let it stand max of 5 min and wiped it off as directed. I let it cure for a couple days due to no time to work on it. I was looking and I noticed on the Horns, sides, bottom and a area on back where the chamfer is that sits against body took the stain to almost black. The rest of it looks awesome so I need to find something I can use to possibly lighten/remove some of teh stain in the dark areas.

It is a Ibanez RG 570 body.

I am curious if anyone knows what I can use to lighten certain spots on the guitar body I stained?? I followed all directions exactly, I used pre stain wood conditioner let it sit for max 15 min wiped it off and within 5 min applied the Minwax dark walnut stain, let it stand max of 5 min and wiped it off as directed. I let it cure for a couple days due to no time to work on it. I was looking and I noticed on the Horns, sides, bottom and a area on back where the chamfer is that sits against body took the stain to almost black. The rest of it looks awesome so I need to find something I can use to possibly lighten/remove some of teh stain in the dark areas.

It is a Ibanez RG 570 body.

I would suggest just sanding it back and re staining.

The problem is this is the second try. and I am trying to lighten the dark areas. How would you suggest I keep those areas from darkening so much if I decide to start over again? I even made sure I concentrated on those areas when I did the pre-stain conditioning as I had it happen first time, Though not close to as bad as this time.

There is no acetone,Thinner something that may disolve or lighten the stain in those few areas?? Its a shame as 80 % is perfect exactly what I was trying for as far as color and even ness.

Maybe I will give up on staining and just do solid colors as they seem to be simple to do.

Edited by spudler

Stain is notorious for this kind of thing. Wood's response to it will vary widely, even within the same piece of wood. For that reason, dye is typically used for guitars. But to work with what you have, you can simply sand back the parts that are too dark until they are the right shade. If you have already put pre-conditioner on (nothing more than some kind of sealer), then chances are it will keep doing this. Perhaps others with more experience will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks everyone. you would not believe just about a year ago I bought and started playing my first guitar in 18 years. I knew little about guitars back then and even less a year ago. I must thank you and all on the internet forums. Since then I have learned to play ok, do all my own maintenance, setup etc. and actually taking parts and modifying them quite extensively. I learn more and more everyday. I will try dye next project. I decided that even though it did not come out the way I had envisioned it actually has quite a unique and very cool look. SO I guess I learned just because it is not what you want does not mean it is not something quite remarkable. I decided not to do any clear on this and leave it the way it came out. I will see if I can get some pics of it posted later. I am real happy with the neck. I took a MIK Wizard II profile neck and shaved and re- radiused it to a Wizard Profile. I did it because I was having a hard time finding a Wizard Profile neck in AANJ with sharktooth inlays for a decent price.