Project Bloodfire (name Is Subject To Change)

I couldnt help myself. Ive wanted to sit down and plan out this project for some time now and I finally stayed up all night to do it! I was never really a big LP fan until the release of the Dark Fire robot model. I dont care that its a robot, all I care about is the gorgeous blood red flame top with the black accents. The faux carbon fiber on the pickup covers and neck inlays is kinda cheesy, but the overall theme is amazing. More recently I fell in love with the PRS 25th Anniversary Swamp Ash Special for much the same reason. Then I figured, I need a classic design in my guitar build repituar, so why not combine elements of both of these guitars to make one bloody work of art that will challenge my skills as an amateur woodworker (poser)?

So here is the pitch:

carved top LP style

chambered mahogany body

Set mahogany neck

24 3/4" scale length

ebony fingerboard with jumbo frets

dark smoked acrylic pick guard

black hardware

EMG 81 Bridge 85 Neck

tune-o-matic bridge with piezo saddles

Graph-tech (Tusq) nut

2 vol 2 tone , three way toggle switch

black pearl block inlays

Here are the 2 proposals I am submitting. The first is inspired by the PRS 25th Anniversary Swam Ash Special and features a blood burst over Swamp Ash.

bloodfireSA.jpg

The second features a quilted maple top with black binding a la dark fire (the Dark Fire uses famed maple)

bloodfireQM.jpg

The headstock inlay needs to be worked out still but I dont plan on going any further with this design for a good long while as I have plenty of other projects baking at the moment, but I just need to get these out of my head! Let me know what you think anyways.

Edited by MuffinPunch

I would definitely say the Ash top it looks so much nicer i think, quilt is gorgeous but if you found a nice piece of ash that would follow the body lines it would look amazing. By the way I'm definitely going to end up using that idea some day.

can we see the maple with the burst? i kinda think that would be the winningest.

Your wish is my command! I decided to switch the finishes on both, so so now the ash has the black binding and the quilt has the burst.

bloodfireAB.jpg

bloodfireQB.jpg

Is there a website you used to come up with those designs?

Actually I do them all on Photoshop. There are a couple of sites that allow you to design a virtual guitar, but most don't have the exact body shape or components I want to use, and the finishes and inlay options are very limited (This (click here) is the best one ive found) but to do the exact specifications I want there really is no alternative to doing it myself. Its grueling work trying to find images of the components you're going to use in the right perspective, but the outcome is always spot on. Heres one I built with the above virtual guitar builder.

I tend to be drawn toward the original ash with the burst best still.... that seems to be the winner.

Edited by MuffinPunch

I like it with the ash, but you are going to have to be choosey with your lumber. A straight grained piece of ash is not going to cut it as well.

If it was me, I would lose the pickguard. Even with it being transparent, I wouls still go without it. I would also go with a matching headstock instead of black.

I wish I had that much skill in Photoshop. I have training in Inventor and some in Solidworks, but I would really like to get good enough to do work that cleanly in Photoshop.

I like it with the ash, but you are going to have to be choosey with your lumber. A straight grained piece of ash is not going to cut it as well.

If it was me, I would lose the pickguard. Even with it being transparent, I wouls still go without it. I would also go with a matching headstock instead of black.

I wish I had that much skill in Photoshop. I have training in Inventor and some in Solidworks, but I would really like to get good enough to do work that cleanly in Photoshop.

Once again, your wish is my command!

bloodfireApg.jpg

The 'shopped' image I used for the ash top was from a flat piece of ash. The really beauty comes out when you carve into it but its hard to simulate that with a 2d image. I will have to be choosy when I pick out my board tho for sure.

I think your'e right. It does look quite good without the pick guard. At least in these images it does. I also like the matching HS, but the red truss rod cover was one of my favorite elements. it would just look redundant if the HS was also red. For the sake of retaining some of the original flavor of the Dark Fire, I think Ill make the pick guard anyway and see what it looks like on and off and make my final decision on the spot. It is a really cool detail that adds a lot to the character of the Dark Fire, so in person it might look better. As might the red TR cover with a black HS if I can get a tasteful and interesting inlay design figured out. We'll see. thanks for the suggestion.

Quick question tho, since I am leaning toward the ash version, would it make better sense to make the whole body out of ash? I never really considered swamp ash a "top wood", but ill be chambering the body so it will need to be two pieces anyway. That way I could do a similar burst on the back of the guitar. Just a thought.

not that it would make much difference with the EMG's,

/yes it will.Just as much as with any other good pickup.But what do I know,I have only installed them in about 30 of my guitars over the years.

I had assumed it would be solid ash,but yeah,mahogany or Limba will definitely add some charachter in the bottom end.

I have a solid ash Edwards Forest GT,and the bottom end is just a hair "rubbery"(for lack of a better term).Mahogany or Limba with a hard Ash top would likely sound great...I also assume the neck will be mahogany?

hehe.I spent a good hour playing with that LP custom site..really cool..now if only I could find one for other styles,like a V or ESP F

I have a solid ash Edwards Forest GT,and the bottom end is just a hair "rubbery"(for lack of a better term).Mahogany or Limba with a hard Ash top would likely sound great...I also assume the neck will be mahogany?

How did you get your hands on one of those!?!? The Japanese get some awesome guitars...

Yeah, the neck will be mahogany, but I think go with a mahogany core sandwiched between ash so I can get the burst on the back too. Like I said, this will be a long time in the making so its likely I wont get started for a good few months at the very earliest, by which time a lot of my details will have changed im sure.

hehe.I spent a good hour playing with that LP custom site..really cool..now if only I could find one for other styles,like a V or ESP F

Kinda sucks you in huh? Its the most realistic one Ive come accross, but I wish it was a real LP instead of an Artist. Close enough tho i guess. There are a few different ones on this site (click) but they are nowhere near as lifelike. There is a V but no Forest, sorry.

How did you get your hands on one of those!?!?

Ebay..I found one new for just under $1000 and even with shipping and customs it was worth it.Very silky smooth guitar,but they are a hair smaller than American ESP,and the volume is just a bit too close to the st6rings,so I do bump it time to time.