Project Open Telecaster

Excellent neck to body transition. I really like the cutaway scoop on the back. Something about the same scoop on the front keeps catching my eye though. The way the light catches the top edge of the curve of the scoop, on the horn side makes a visible line that makes you compare it to the curve in the cutaway. Those two curves do not look smooth together, they kind of pinch in a bit and it's the scoop carve that's doing it. I'm sorry I don't have the tools to point out on the pic exactly what I'm talking about.

SR

Excellent neck to body transition. I really like the cutaway scoop on the back. Something about the same scoop on the front keeps catching my eye though. The way the light catches the top edge of the curve of the scoop, on the horn side makes a visible line that makes you compare it to the curve in the cutaway. Those two curves do not look smooth together, they kind of pinch in a bit and it's the scoop carve that's doing it. I'm sorry I don't have the tools to point out on the pic exactly what I'm talking about.

SR

Trust me I know what you are talking about. I am this close || to scraping the whole body and starting over.

I will fix the scoop when I take it apart for finishing.

Another problem is their is a grain mark running right through the front scoop causing an optical illusion that the horn is not carved right. That should go away when I finish it. Right now I am thinking about just oiling the thing...

After looking at the carve I am not sure I am happy at all with it.

I am also not happy with the bridge again. It cuts into the side of my hand. So I either switch it with a regular hipshot fixed (it is a stainless vintage) or I rip it out and install a tremolo.

I just wanted to test my new pickups and work on my bolt-on tele prototype... I am thinking there will be a few more of these before I get it right.

SR

Trust me I know what you are talking about. I am this close || to scraping the whole body and starting over.

I will fix the scoop when I take it apart for finishing.

Another problem is their is a grain mark running right through the front scoop causing an optical illusion that the horn is not carved right. That should go away when I finish it. Right now I am thinking about just oiling the thing...

After looking at the carve I am not sure I am happy at all with it.

I am also not happy with the bridge again. It cuts into the side of my hand. So I either switch it with a regular hipshot fixed (it is a stainless vintage) or I rip it out and install a tremolo.

I just wanted to test my new pickups and work on my bolt-on tele prototype... I am thinking there will be a few more of these before I get it right.

Don't waste your time, scrap it! (I'm sending you my address I'll pay shipping) :D

Mmmmm...carve-top tele with attitude. Between this and andyt's metal tele, I forsee a singlecut in my future...

Cool. Look forward to seeing it.

I am planning on fully metalizing this one. I am going to replace all the bolts and screws with allen socket heads. Even the strap buttons will be replaced with allens.

Just not sure what to do about the bridge... I want something more comfortable but hate to spend money on this one as it was just meant to be a pickup horse.

• 5 months later...