Am I mistaken or does the Deep-C allow you to switch between full-lock and dive-only?
Let's try it this way:

1. Tremol-No UNlocked withOUT Deep-C: Allows trem movement in both directions (aka Full Trem Mode).

2. Tremol-No LOCKed withOUT Deep-C: Allows NO trem movement in either direction (aka Hardtail Mode).

3. Tremol-No UNlocked with Deep-C: Allows trem to 'dive only' (aka Dive-Only Mode).

4. Tremol-No LOCKed with Deep-C: Allows NO trem movement in either direction (aka Hardtail Mode).

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone.

In the pics of the Deep-C that in that prior post, imagine the trem is in the middle of the dive. I separated the Deep-C from the Receiver so folks could see it a lot easier than if it was set against the Receiver.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Scott! Good to see ya over here man!

thanks! good to be here, especially since i'm planning to start building bodies again after an 8-year layoff. lots of very cool discussion here.

and i've been looking for a way to dive-only my floating trems for over 10 years -- i like the recessed route, so the trem is parallel to the body and the neck doesn't have to be angled, but i never pull up on the bar. i'd rather have the extra sustain and everything stay in tune when a string breaks that a dive-only setup has. like EVH has been doing since day 1. if the Tremol-no could do all that and still be so easily convertable back and forth, i'd be sold.

In the pics of the Deep-C that in that prior post, imagine the trem is in the middle of the dive.  I separated the Deep-C from the Receiver so folks could see it a lot easier than if it was set against the Receiver.

i got to thinking that had to be the case.

how solid is that Deep-C clamp? i.e., after thorough setup of the Tremol-no, can you lift the guitar up by the bar and still have it stay in tune, not pulling back at all?

another question for you, from that RG pic: what keeps the Tremol-no spring claw from sliding up the spring claw screws? if it slid up those screws, the bridge would not lock. are those holes through the Tremol-no claw threaded?

Scott- I'm gonna quote you a bunch here...make it into a little FAQ. I hope you don't mind.

i'd rather have the extra sustain and everything stay in tune when a string breaks that a dive-only setup has.  like EVH has been doing since day 1.  if the Tremol-no could do all that and still be so easily convertable back and forth, i'd be sold.
That's exactly what it does. One trem can now float, dive-only or hardtail.

Can't even do that with a Steinberger or a Parker! :-)

how solid is that Deep-C clamp?
Very solid. The one pictured is 304 Stainless Steel. The production ones will be made from 304 or 316 Stainless Steel. It clamps on there damn tight. A hammer & punch would be needed to move it along the shaft once it's locked down. Tight enough for ya? LOL

After thorough setup of the Tremol-no, can you lift the guitar up by the bar and still have it stay in tune, not pulling back at all?

With the thumbscrews locked and the Deep-C on? Yes.

With just the Deep-C on? Yes.

With just the two thumbscrews locked and no Deep-C? If you do it slowly (i.e. don't yank up on the bar quickly), it'll stay put. That bar produces A LOT of leverage.

What keeps the Tremol-no spring claw from sliding up the spring claw screws?  if it slid up those screws, the bridge would not lock.  are those holes through the Tremol-no claw threaded?
The holes for the claw screws are not threaded, but they do have set screws to lock the claw into position (preventing it from sliding up when raising pitch with the trem). See the little green set screws on the top of the claw, at either end of the word "TREMOL-NO"? There ya go.

I'm not sure if anyone's checked out the updated Spec page. Here's a link for all you health-concious players out there:

http://www.tremol-no.com/specs.html

So in order to be able to quickly switch between "1.Full Trem Mode" and "3.Dive-Only Mode", the Deep-C would have to have thumbscrews.

Yes.

Well, just one thumbscrew. :-)

Depending on what design works best for folks, set screw or thumbscrew, the unit might have to be changed a bit to allow for screw head clearance. No biggie though.

We'll see what happens with the test units.

After thorough setup of the Tremol-no, can you lift the guitar up by the bar and still have it stay in tune, not pulling back at all?

With just the Deep-C on? Yes.

then i'm sold! :D

the allen screw on the Deep-C would be fine for me. the dive-only setting would be how i'd keep the guitar all the time, and if i ever needed full-float in the studio it'd be no problem to whip out an allen wrench. i'd never want to change in the middle of a gig or anything.

The holes for the claw screws are not threaded, but they do have set screws to lock the claw into position (preventing it from sliding up when raising pitch with the trem). 

cool -- i looked for set screws like that but just didn't see them.

BONUS!!!!

I've been working on getting some sound clips and video up for the Tremol-No site. Of course the sound part is easy, and I left that up to a professional- my spokesmodel, Rob Keeler (Professor of Music at UMASS), and he should have those done any day now.

The video, however, ummm....wow...

As usual with my projects, the pieces that I need don't exist , so I have to build them. Here's the camera mount I made:

http://jemfest.com/misc/P5130029.JPG

The gimble came from a mini-tripod I had for some webcam (back when they were cool). That's mounted to a custom-machined U-clamp that I built. The U-clamp slides up and down on the Irwin clamp, and clamps into any position. It also allows for the gimble to be mounted on the side (90 degrees from where it's pictured), for alternate angle shots. Oh, and it's milled out of 6061 T-6, for all you metal heads out there. LOL

Ok- enough with all the nerd-speak. How about some VIDEO?!!?

CLICK HERE--->Tremol-No Test Video #1

(MPEG....approx. 10MB....00:04:28)

Keep in mind, this is only a test. Also keep in mind that I'm not Jon Finn or Vai or Rusty Cooley. LOL

I'll work on better lighting (and playing), and let you guys know when the *real* demonstration clips are up.

Oh- tech stuff:

Guitar: Ibanez 565 (neck pickup only)

Amp: Rivera TBR-2SL

FX: Dirty- reverb from Digitech 2101 Pro.

Clean- delay & chorus mix from Digitech 2101 Pro.

Cabinet: Peavey 4x12 with Sheffields.

Mic Used: In-camera

Camera: JVC GR-DVP7

Capture/Editing/Exporting: Nero

BTW- When playing a guitar with this camera mount on, the 7th fret is directly over your belly button. It's VERY uncomfortable to play this way, and it's not like that mount is light either! :D

More clips to come!

that's pretty cool, an interesting perspective having the camera stay on the tremol-no the entire time.

i'd love to see a video with someone who uses a graphite nut and locking tuners instead of a locking nut, they could really show off tuning to alternate pitches on the tremol-no, for example if someone played a 20 second riff, then engaged the tremol-no, went into dadgad tunning or something, played a part of a song, tuned back up, then turn the tremol-no off and be back in full trem mode and still in tune, all in real time... that would really show off the versitility of the unit... (just make sure you get an experienced player that's got a good ear for tunning on the fly)

have approached Vai and Satch to try it out?

IMO if you get them, they'd be THE biggest and best endorserers you could get.

i reckon you got a good chance of them liking it too B)

video is very impressive too.

IMO in the next one, try to highlight increase in sustain with increased distortion too

:D

Roman

This is from a Tremol-No thread on another site:

"Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have mine in a floral Jem, and I love it - especially for easy drop-tuning. I'll soon install it into another guitar I'm having built specifically for drop-C tuning.

I took Tony MacAlpine by to check it out too and he was impressed. After playing it, his head was swimming with ideas about how he could use the device.

Steve also has one installed on a white Jem called "BFG" - his bus guitar during the G3 tour.

I'm really impressed that Kevan has taken this idea and turned it into reality. It's one thing to think of a good idea - but it's another to actually bring it into the physical world! I really hope the tremol-no brings him much success.

Cheers,

Mikey

vai.com"

Some mis-fires in communication left Mr. Satriani's unit kinda hangin' out in the wind, but that's been resolved. He'll have one on a guitar very soon.

Derek- I'll get crackin' on those clips. It'd be great to have video of that.

Now, where's Will Ray's number......

:D

so basicly the top of the threads for the lock screws have the same thing going on as a lock nut? (non guitar style)

I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere. LOL

Please rephrase it and/or be a bit more specific (parts diagrams are on Tremol-No.com in the Support section), and I'll get it answered for you.

so basicly the top of the threads for the lock screws have the same thing going on as a lock nut? (non guitar style)

I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere. LOL

Please rephrase it and/or be a bit more specific (parts diagrams are on Tremol-No.com in the Support section), and I'll get it answered for you.

i believe he is asking if the threads are distorted at the ends like a locking nut you would buy at an auto parts store....they score the threads so that when you get it in place,it will stay put,even if there is no torque pressure

Ahhh...I see what you guys are talking about.

Answer: No.

The threads on the thumbscrews (and on the clamping mechanism of the Classic unit) are not scored, nor do they "lock".

On the production models, I think we're going to use a Nylock insert with the threads of the thumbscrews. This will help prevent them from falling out due to excess vibration, though it rarely happens.

The clamping screw on the Classic unit will remain as-is, but the instructions will recommend some blue (removable) threadlocker on that screws threads. It stays put quite well, but the threadlocker is nice insurance.

I hope that answers the question.

Can anyone tell me what the*other* site is thats mentionned all over the first couple of pages of this thread??

Is that a build or mod site that could be interesting to visit for anyone here??

It's a site where opinions are welcome, as long as they're the same as the Admin's.

Also, posting of facts is NOT allowed. That got me banned several times.

You sure you want to go there?

i want one...no i neeeeeed one. all messin aside, i really need one . how do i get my dirty little hands on one? what is in the backage exactly? a new grip to hok the springs onto , and then 2 solid bars that can be locked into position? what i cant understand, is on my guitar, the metal plate that holds the springs to the body is actually a good bit from the body, so if i locked this int place , it could still move the length of the screws holding the bridge to the body. hope you understand what im saying.

I do believe I understand what you're saying:

If you lock the Tremol-No, then raise the pitch of the strings, why won't the Tremol-No claw move 'forward' along the screws that mount it to the body?

Here's the reason: Part #SS-01. :-)

These are the set screws on the top of the claw (at the ends of the word TREMOL-NO) that keep the claw in place when attempting to raise pitch when locked. They're the little green guys in the CAD drawaings on the main page. Check out the parts drawings on the Support page too.