i was actually worried about the same thing when i looked at it, then i eventually reconized there were 2 little set screws, they must be pretty tough :D do they work with the standard spring claw screws or does the tremol-no come packaged with a required set that have a groove for the set screw?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Phil Mailloux @ Apr 28 2004, 04:22 AM)

Can anyone tell me what the*other* site is thats mentionned all over the first couple of pages of this thread?? Is that a build or mod site that could be interesting to visit for anyone here?? 

It's a site where opinions are welcome, as long as they're the same as the Admin's.

Also, posting of facts is NOT allowed. That got me banned several times.

You sure you want to go there?

I at least want to see WHAT i'm missing.

Do they work with the standard spring claw screws or does the tremol-no come packaged with a required set that have a groove for the set screw?

Yes- You can use your original claw screws.

I'm not sure what the licensee will want to do, but offering badass claw screws is a possible option. But remember that grooving a pair of claw screws will raise the price.

If you've already got the part, and it's not broken, why pay for new ones? (Save the Pam Anderson boob job jokes; you don't get to watch a Tremol-No run down the beach...)

Phillip- I wish I could get that site address to ya, but after the last year of therapy, the doctor finally erased it from my memory. He was worth the money. I'm much better now.

My T-No came in the mail a couple of weeks ago. When I saw the envelope I had a minor stroke. I mean, much like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, this was something I'd heard great things about, but never thought I'd see.

I opened up the package and pulled everything out. My wife and I then ran around going "think - scalpel" for 45 minutes, but then we stopped and I began playing with the T-No and discovered <Dramatic Music and Voice>Problem Number One</Dramatic Music and Voice>.

Kev put Loc-Tite on the thumbscrews to keep them from slipping out. Loc-Tite, well locks things. So I actually had to grab some pliers to unlock the T-No.

So I played around with it some and then I cleaned the garage. Then I worked 10 hour days for 6 days in a row. Then I was tired and grumpy and didn't touch my guitars.

So I finally installed it on my Squire Strat. My Squire Strat has the worst fake floyd ever in the history of man. Seriously, a worse bridge has never even been contemplated. It was, in other words perfect. This is where I ran into <Dramatic Music and Voice>Problem Number Two</Dramatic Music and Voice>.

Kev once told me that on the assembly line all of the guitar is CNC'd, EXCEPT the screw holes for the trem claw. For that they just give Kim, Hiro, or Billy Bob a drill and say "put them about here." Which for the most part works just fine. In my case, they're about two MM's shy of being "square" with the holes in the T-No claw. It's not a big problem, but it did make installation a smidge harder than I thought it would be (2MM doesn't seem like a lot, but it was enough to make turning the screws a little of a pain).

Another installation problem was my fault, I lost my 2MM (? maybe it was the 1.5, either way) allen wrench. Oddly enough, many allen keys start at the next size up. oh well.

So I fitted the T-No in another guitar just to see what was up and, guess what? <Dramatic Music and Voice>Problem Number Three</Dramatic Music and Voice>. Because there's no standard to where the screw holes go, the claw ended up just a smidge too high and I can't put the back plate on. That's not a big problem, 'cos, well, I never put the back plate on that guitar anyway.

So I put it back on my Squire, got everything all set up and....It's cool. Unlike most people here, I'm using the T-No as a block. I'm not really interested in unlocking my trem. Also unlike most people I use heavy strings, unlike the girly girl strings of people like Kev. As Billy Sheehan said if you want manly-man tone, you need manly man strings. .10 - .52 (sometimes .56) for those who are interested. Yeah, that's for standard tuning.

So far, so good, there hasn't been any string slippage. It holds tune well, bends sound better. I'm not going to comment on sustain, because I didn't play that guitar enough pre-T-No to notice any difference. I'll probably slap it on my GTX which is set up the same as my Squire, but with a non-crap bridge (a TRS 101, one of the better Floyd copies IMHO).

What would I change?

The Loc-Tite thing, there's gotta be a better way to make sure the thumb screws remain secure. The problem with Loc-Tite is, well, it locks tight.

Also, maybe I have fat fingers or big springs, but the thumbscrews are just a little too short for me to grab easily.

That's it, first impressions, more to come

The Santa Bunny speaks!

Sorry about the Loc-Tite thing. It was only 'blue', so it should have been fairly easy to remove. I guess manly strings don't necessairly give you manly finger-strength. B)

Since your first IM about how hard they were to remove, the Loc-Tite has been shelved. The nylock inserts should work just fine (see previous posts in this thread). Sorry- but that's what you get for being a tester. LOL

As much as I tried to compensate for EVERY guitar EVER built, the Tremol-No might not work in all of them. Some will have the claw screw holes drilled too high so the plate can't go on (or too low and the claw will touch the bottom of the cavity before it's set properly), some will have holes drilled un-square, etc. Pick a freaky anomaly; there are hundreds available. It's that damn Murphy and his damn law.

In my $149 super-store "anniversary sale again this week" Strat, the claw mount screws aren't square either (angled in toward each other by about 2mm on each). In my testing, that doesn't affect Tremol-No usage at all.

Let me know how your long-term tests turn out with those manly-man strings.

Sorry about the stroke, GE.

I told ya it was on it's way. :D

Oh no, I don't blame you for the anomalies. Just pointing out my experience. So far teh T-No has done what I've wanted to. my preference would be about 1/8" more on the thumb screws to make them easier to grab thru the springs.

Also, you told me it was on it's way for 8 years. You can imagine my surprise.

"8 years"?

From 2002 to 2004 is 8 years?

Are we doing puppy math now? LMAO

For the 'blue' Loc-Tite, try some acetone (finger nail polish remover). It works good on the 'blue' threadlocker.

For 'red' (aka permanent) threadlocker, use heat.

In my world, 1/8" is HUGE. That's more than 3mm! I tried to design a T-knob for the thumbscrews, but the "t's" were all way too large to fit inside a trem cavity. I'll see what I can do about that.

I'm glad to hear your uber-crappy Floyd is now working great as a hardtail for ya. :D

I've only known you for 7 years.

That's 49 dog-years.

:D

And, just to bring the rest of the folks up to speed, EVERY message from GE in the last two years has started with "How goes the revolution?".

It finally stopped when he got his Tremol-No.

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Just a quick site update: Endorsee pics are up!!!

I don't have photos from everyone yet, but these guys have sent me pics:

- Carlo DeDios

- Norm Hammer

- Darren Hunt

- Rob Keeler

- Shane Regal

- Butch Slusher

...and more pics coming soon!

Kev,

Nice to see things are going so well, sounds like it's really snowballing.

I've got alot of respect for people who actually get their ideas off the ground. I must have abou a million inventions floating around, if only I could get off my arse and sort some out.

If there is anything in the UK that you need doing then please PM and I'll do what I can. I'm trying to help my old man get something off the ground (it's at the prototype stage at the moment) and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling helping out :D

Good luck dude.

Kaj

• 2 weeks later...

sory to bother you kevan, as im sure your very busy but any news on when your fantastic invention will be up for grabs?i havnt played guitar for the last 5 months ( was away due to work) and i want to get into alternate tunings when i get back, but theyre impossible with a floyd rose. sorry for bothering you again

sory to bother you kevan, as im sure your very busy but any news on when your fantastic invention will be up for grabs?i havnt played guitar for the last 5 months ( was away due to work) and i want to get into alternate tunings when i get back, but theyre impossible with a floyd rose. sorry for bothering you again

Can I just say "A lot sooner than you think"?

Does that help?

See you all in Nashville.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Just wanted to update my buds here.

We *will* be at Summer NAMM in Nashville, but in our licensees booth (main floor, far right side). I'll have the RG-ART with me, so you can't really miss us. LOL

If you don't have a badge for the show, don't worry. We're doing PLENTY of jamming that weekend. Thurs. night we're hitting some bars on S.Broadway with some Canadian friends. If you're around, you're welcome to join us.

Then Friday evening (right after the NAMM doors close), we're heading out to Bob Oakman's place for some BBQ/'adult beverages'/jamming. There will be PLENTY of guitars/amps/FX there, along with some cool folks- and members from this Forum! Feel free to contact me for more info, or just call my cell and we'll get hooked up with ya. (Cell number is on the Contact page of Tremol-No.com if you need it)

On Sat. night, we're hitting Printers Alley. For those that don't know, this is a little alley (literally) that's packed with about 20 bars (and a few strip clubs) that has some FANTASTIC bands, and sometimes "guest" players that rock the house. Every bar is loaded to the rafters, and it's a great time, with some great bands.

As for Tremol-No news: Check out the new Endorsees page. A whole bunch of new pics are up! Click on the name for their pic and what the artist has to say about the Tremol-No. The underlined link takes you to their site.

Thanks for all your support with this. You guys have been fantastic. I look forward to meeting you at NAMM!

• 2 weeks later...
On floyd Rose's site he mentions
the new Floyd Rose tremStopper that enables the player to block the tremolo system with a simple turn of a screw

Just something you might wanna know. Sounds like a tremolno.

Thanks man, but I think when you see his "trem stopper", you'll understand why the Tremol-No got rave reviews from everyone at NAMM.

For those that want to check out Floyd's thingy (and screw into the body of your guitar, and have to use a wrench to turn it on and off), here's a highlighted pic for ya:

http://jemfest.com/misc/kevan/FR-TremStopper.jpg

Now that we're done with the silly stuff (LOL), how about some pics from NAMM? Ok...

http://www.tremol-no.com/images/NAMM2004/

7 is a pic of the two guitars I took into the NAMM show.

9-14 and "evil eyes" are from the Sat. night hang/BBQ/jam at Bob Oakman's place. 12 is an extremely dark pic of our own Vwall with the RG-EGYPT.

15 is Mike Martin (Tremol-No endorsee)

18 is Tremol-No Spokesmodel/Demonstrator Rob Keeler talking with Mystery (soon to be) Tremol-No User #1.

19 is Tremol-No Inventor (me) with Darren Johansen of About Time Designs. Yes- the swirl master himself. If I remember correctly, his Tremol-No is on one of his personal JEMY2K-DNA guitars.

20 is Mystery Tremol-No User #2.

21 is another pic of Mystery Tremol-No User #2.

23 is Tremol-No Inventor (me) with Mystery (soon to be) Tremol-No User #1.

Guess the Mystery Users and win the admiration of your friends! :-) Maybe I'll get ya one of the cool "Tremol-No Equipped!" stickers.

We had a FANTASTIC time, and every single person that checked out the Tremol-No absolutely loved it. There were a few small manufacturers that said, "That's amazing! I want the first one!". That made me feel really, really good.

Oddest Memory Of SummerNAMM 2004: Watching Paul Reed Smith play an EB/MM Stingray 5-string while chatting with Sterling Ball and Floyd Rose.

Just....kinda.....odd.

Oh, and if you go to NAMM, and get invited out with the Graph-Tech guys, be warned. They'll say "Let's go get a few beers", but what you don't hear is the word 'hundred' before the word 'beers'. In Canadian, it's silent. LOL

THANKS MARTY, DAVE AND TRINA!

Thanks for the welcome back, Brian. You'll have to come to one of the shows sometime. It's a lot of fun (and don't forget to send me the new pic for the site!).

Darren is our winner!

Be sure to give him a big pat on the back when you see him next time. :-)

Darren- I'll get ya a "Tremol-No Equipped!" sticker. How's that sound? It's the only swag I have right now.

Will Ray and Jerry Donahue were at the booth next to us (G&L Guitars) on Fri. and Sat. VERY nice guys, and MONSTER players. I didn't want to play 'fan boy', but with Mr. Ray so close....I just had to. LOL

Jim Donahue and Darren Johansen (long-time friends) came by the booth to say hey, and we hung out for a little while. Jim's got some great stories from his 15+ years at Ibanez bringing us everything from the RG & JEM to the S-series to the JetKing, and Darren is just plain funny (he's a comedian on the side)...plus, he can swirl ANYTHING. :-P Darren joined us for dinner on Sat. night. The guy has an infectious laugh.

The Winter NAMM show is in January. I'm not sure of the dates, but you can check namm.org for more info. It is NOT open to the public, so be sure to get your badge early. There's about a 90% chance I'll be out in Anaheim again this coming January. Be sure to stop by and say hi.

Oh, and if you go to NAMM, and get invited out with the Graph-Tech guys, be warned.  They'll say "Let's go get a few beers", but what you don't hear is the word 'hundred' before the word 'beers'.  In Canadian, it's silent.  LOL 

THANKS MARTY, DAVE AND TRINA!

B):D:D:D:DB)