Actually, I have a question here that Kevan (or any of the current Tremol-no owners) could probably answer well.

Being a bassist, I know nothing about playing, setting up, or tuning a guitar-- and yet I have decided to embark on a guitar construction project for my bass teacher, who also plays guitar. Now, he's looking for a heavy metal guitar, so naturally it needs a Floyd Rose setup of some sort.

So here's my question: what are the pros and cons or buying a Floyd Rose Speedloader setup versus an Original Floyd Rose with a locking nut and a Tremol-No? I'm specifically curious about setup and tuning issues, though any additional info about added features either setup would give me would also be helpful.

Thanks, you guys! :D

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the "brass device" on Kevan's comparison refers to the FREELOK, then it's inaccurate and should be corrected.
The device I tested is the one used for my comparison chart. I see that a couple of different models are offered now (though no pictures).

I'll update my comparison chart with the new information. It wasn't on that site last week......

This thread ought to get back to "when can I buy it and where?"
The Tremol-No is now available through AllParts. Part # BP_2005-010. You can order via their site (www.allparts.com) or by phone.

If anyone has questions about the unit, we have a new forum over on Tremol-No.com. I'll be taking care of most of your tech questions there to keep ProjectGuitar as uncluttered as possible.

Thanks everyone.

The questions relating to patents etc were all speculative and hypothetical as far as I can see, no foul there, with the notable exception of Crafty:

That's just blatent infringement, man. Hope your attorney shuts hisazz down fast with a nice little injunction.

That is unargueably an explicit accustation - I know I'd be pretty P'd off if I was on the receiving end of it. Frankly, I think were I the one who had levelled that allegation, I'd be working on an apology, not finding more percieved fautls to pick on.

I wish both parties the best of luck with their products, only the market can decide which is better, and I'm sure it'll do just that.

At the time I made that statement, there was nothing listed on the USPTO's search system for either the provisional or approved patent. NOTHING. We had Kevan's patent sitting in front of us, and nothing listed for the Freelok. In that context, I would hope that Kevan's attorney would file for an immediate injunction and review of the patent for possible infringement.

I have nothing to apologize about, Setch, and if you're going to join the bash Crafty bandwagon, nothing further to say to you. :D

Edited by crafty

I'm not debating the 'evidence' he had, that's an entirely separate issue to the accusation. If you call someone a thief or a criminal (even if you had evidence to support the idea) and it's subsequently revealed that you were wrong, you APOLOGISE. If you're too much of a stubborn child to ever admit you're wrong, then you better learn not to call people out without knowing the facts.

Given the *huge* amount of time the patenting process takes (well documented by you in this thread!) and the massive amount of data the patent office has to deal with and update, it strikes me as pretty foolish to make an accusation of infringement because a relatively new item isn't on the register. I'd have no arguement if Crafty had said 'he's not on the patents register, looks fishy to me', but he didn't - he added 2+2, got 5, and used that as grounds to libel somebody - not cool. No biggie if you apologise, but pretty offensive if you take the position that you did nothing wrong, and try to claim the moral highground over the libelled party!

I'm not debating the 'evidence' he had, that's an entirely separate issue to the accusation. If you call someone a thief or a criminal (even if you had evidence to support the idea) and it's subsequently revealed that you were wrong, you APOLOGISE. If you're too much of a stubborn child to ever admit you're wrong, then you better learn not to call people out without knowing the facts.

Given the *huge* amount of time the patenting process takes (well documented by you in this thread!) and the massive amount of data the patent office has to deal with and update, it strikes me as pretty foolish to make an accusation of infringement because a relatively new item isn't on the register. I'd have no arguement if Crafty had said 'he's not on the patents register, looks fishy to me', but he didn't - he added 2+2, got 5, and used that as grounds to libel somebody - not cool. No biggie if you apologise, but pretty offensive if you take the position that you did nothing wrong, and try to claim the moral highground over the libelled party!

FOR THE LAST TIME, YOUR ROYAL HIGHNESS: You don't have a clue about what you're accusing ME of, and I don't have the time nor the desire to educate you on the legal nuances of libel--none of which my comment even came close to satisfying. Merriam-Webster's isn't exactly the foremost authority on libel and slander, either.

Edited by crafty

Can we move on now? This is getting stupid. Don't try to force people to appologize even if they are wrong or not. This is Kevan's thread of the tremol-no, not people's court. The guy added in his stuff about the freelok, and if he wants to, he could start his own thread about it, but it seems that he ran away, which is fine. Let the patent people and their lawyers deal with it first, if everything's okay, let the buyer's market deal with it second.

-Jamie

I think that Kevan and Bill both have a great invention, each implemented in a unique way. We've had the pleasure of watching the Tremol-No come from conception to reality, unlike the FreeLok, which most of us haven't heard of until now. I'm sure both of them have their own patent, pending or established. It's really up to them, and their lawyers to deal with the business end of it, and who legally can do what. I think both inventions are great, good luck to both.

The guy added in his stuff about the freelok, and if he wants to, he could start his own thread about it, but it seems that he ran away, which is fine

Yet another completely unnecessary, derogatory, and inflammatory comment.

Actually, the guy's acting far more mature and restrained than those lobbing the inflammatory comments at him, that shows class in my book.

If these comments were directed at yourselves, you would be screaming for a mod to cry foul for you, or hurling childish remarks back.

Keep it civil and adult or just don't post.

:D:DB):DB)

Setch- check the dates on Crafty's previous posts. He's correct.

The FREELOK patent application was published (made available to the public) on 5/06/2004, as stated on the USPTO web site. That would be over a year and half prior to that post.

Crafty- This is not personal. This is business. Some of the posts implied I was infringing and deceiving the public as to the status of my patent, which could prove to be damaging to my reputation and volume of sales. I am clarifying the truth of the matter so as to diminish the damaging effect of unfounded rumor(s).

Thank you to the others that display empathy for my situation. I do have to admit that I could care less if Mr. Crafty apoligizes though. I do not believe he had anything to gain by his comments. Likewise to most the other members. I feel that it started with "some one stole your concept Kevan" (post 206) that has implications. so does post 207, that implies that Kevan was going to take legal action against me.( how and why? ) post 208, "stole your design" and "Patent pending my ass". Post 209, "cheaply made copy" . How can it be a copy when it was designed first? All these examples imply that I did something wrong and I have not.

I feel I deserved the chance to defend myself against these allegations. I'm not asking for apoligies. But I'm not saying that I would not accept them either. Once again, MOST of these comments were posted by people that had nothing to gain by doing so, there is only one member that would, that I'm aware of. The rest simply did not have the facts of the matter and I do not intend to hold it against them. Honest mistakes deserve to be forgiven. Providing false information for personal gain does not.

As far as starting a FREELOK thread; this is YOUR forum. I have a product to sell. My views would be biased. I believe advertising should be paid for. I have made no "sales pitch" on this thread. I am responding to comments that reffered to me, my business, and my product in a derogatory manner.

Edited by FREELOK FREEK

Everyone's getting huffy-puffy over a purely hypothetical sentence. Let's all re-read it, just for fun:

if the guy hasn't even tried to get a patent...
And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his azz.

The keyword there is "IF".

Next we have:

The FREELOK patent application was published (made available to the public) on 5/06/2004, as stated on the USPTO web site. That would be over a year and half prior to that post.
But just one page back we have:

Nobody has accused you of anything, Bill. The only thing that came up was whether or not you had actually applied for a patent, and at the time I questioned whether you had done that, the USPTO website had NOT been updated with your information.

And speaking from experience, just because it's "published" doesn't necessarily mean that it's "available online", esp. when it comes to the USPTO.
OK then, to try and get this thread back to civil. Kevan - I just found this on a the Patrick Eggle website.

http://patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/index.p...opic,456.0.html

Very cool. The Eggle stuff is nice. I'm glad to see that an Irish lad is enjoying the Tremol-No.

FREELOK & KEVAN - The way that you two are handling this is very admirable.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have to step away from this thread now (my attorney is going to beat me like a rented goalie! LOL).

This thread was originally about supplying the members here with progress updates, and now that the unit is available to the public we can probably finish this one up.

Unfortunately, I have to step away from this thread now (my attorney is going to beat me like a rented goalie! LOL).

Ha ha. I've just filled out a form for a new project and the solicitor for the client is called Right Hastle (albeit spelt differently, but that's how it's pronounced), couldn't have summed it up better myself :D

Guest AlexVDL

I feel that it started with "some one stole your concept Kevan" (post 206) that has implications

At that time I was following this thread and I found this device the perfect solution for all my tremolo problems. I could not wait for it to come out. Then suddenly there was some device that looked like it could do almost the same, and it was all over ebay. I went to your website with the tremol-no in mind, and my first opinion was that the concept looked awefully the same. I'm no lawyer or stuff so I did not look up the patents... I always thought pat.pend. was BS just like a © at the bottom of a website heheh. But I was wrong.... I instantly judged you as a fraud and wrongly accused you.

Hereby I really apologize.. I never thought that line would cause so much trouble!!

Btw I bought the T-no, but I will try a freelock too, just to compare :D

kevan- you should sell a modified back cover so people don't worry as much about playing without a cover. maybe include a way to extend the thumbscrews so they're easy to reach, so you can make the cover cover more.

just my 50th of a semitone...

If I'm not mistaken there are templates in his web site, or at least there were a few months ago.

I swear I'm going to rename the Support section "Naked Chicks!" just so people will *accidentally* click on it. There are more hits to the Privacy statement than the Support section. LOL

The problems with doing backplates and selling them are many:

- So many different shapes and designs and thicknesses and colors and...well, you get the idea.

- Setups vary on each guitar. So, the thumbscrew location on your guitar might be a little bit forward or backward from my guitar.

Most major manufactuers have backplates available, and they're usually pretty cheap. Pick up an extra one and cut an access hole into it. You can use the templates on the T-No site as a guideline, then make whatever adjustments you need for your particular guitar's setup.

Extending the thumbscrews is a little more difficult. :-)

The thumbscrews for the Tremol-No are the same size as the fine tuners on the Ibanez Edge/LoPro trems, except shorter. You can pick up a couple of those fine tuner screws from an Ibanez parts dealer, then trim them to whatever length you desire.

Ok folks. Thanks for hangin' in there with me during this whole process. I really appreciate it. Thanks for all your kind words and suggestions. I will continue to work on advancements to bring you the best Tremol-No possible.

If anyone has questions, they can email me (kevan@tremol-no.com) or may post on the T-No forum.

Again, thanks everyone! Enjoy your Tremol-No's!

THREAD CLOSED