Two New Projects

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its diamond blue actually :D an old ford colour. i tried getting sonic blue but they couldnt do it. then i tried dione blue (which is toyata and really really close to sonic) but they could only do that in two pack which cost almost three times as much as regular. then we found diamond blue so i went with that.

heres the lapsteel with all its bits on. nothing glued or sanded or anything hence it still looking rough as bugger

08.jpg

oh and avenger - i found my old design for the cherry blossom inlay/soundhole and scanned it specially for you. photoshopped the inlayed bits so you can see what i meant it to be like. not too far off what you did huh?

sakurafull.jpg

there was a big patch on the front that was reacting for no reason and i just got angry today and took the whole lot off. and the binding suffered as a result too

Best course of action. I hate when that kinda crap happins.

Just kill the offending part & start over. You staying with the same finish ?

iv got the binding on again. STUPIDLY tried acetone to fix it on. which in itself wouldnt be a bad idea, only i had primed it BEFORE putting the binding on this time, so it melted the paint as well. idiot. but it was only on a little bit and i quickly went back to superglue. SHOULD be ready for colour coats in the next day or two.

again

• 3 weeks later...
well iv calmed down a bit so im giving it one more chance. its almost exactly the same place as before. im misting some colour coats over the front. i'll have to wait and see what happens when i get some clear on it

I feel your pain. I had to strip all the clear off the SG I am building because of weirdness while finishing.

I know it seems like a silly question for a veteran builder so don't take these the wrong way.

Did you accidentally get something on the wood in that spot? When I have run into this it was always related to residue from something...

Also did you clean the surface really well with your favorite solvent? I got some nasty stuff on one the other day and had to spend a few hours with lacquer thinner getting all of it out of hte wood.

If no customer is involved I have waited months before returning to a project... nothing destroys great work like frustration.

Love the work! Finger crossed X

theres nothing on the wood or anything like that. it only happened when i put the clear on so it must be something in that reacting with something that just happens to be there. its not in exactly the same place, just in the general area. and when i stripped it back first time i made sure it was all clean and everything. just me and my bad luck continuing. im about ready break a lot of things

You could look at it another way, that your standards are high enough that you don't accept crap work. :D

Just a counterpoint to being angry over having to re-strip, we've all been there, done that, it sucks complete ass no matter how you slice it, but not giving up or accepting suck-ass work is a big deal, remember to give yourself some credit for that. :D

It does suck Hoog's. I just finished a guitar that took me six attempts to get the top right. Five sandbacks! I spent to much time and put to much love in other areas. I owed it to the guitar not to settle for a crap finish. Time is the key i think that got me back on track, the weather was bad for 2 weeks and it gave me that buzz to get the job done properly.

Stick to your guns and produce another beautiful instrument mate.

• 3 weeks later...

well after many many paint problems its getting there again. still waiting for the body to cure a bit more but the headstocks done. no point having a full pic yet as the boards still taped up waiting for frets to be done.

as the paint was kinda doing it itself anyway, i thought id give it a checked old nitro look.

18.jpg

and this is the back - the other half of my £5 find. not a bad neck for £2.50

17.jpg