Intricate F-hole Ideas

That's even easier than Pete's idea. If I spray it from the back, there would be a lot less to clean up on the front. I could even spray the front before the pattern (which is covered in clear tape) is removed. Nice crisp edges that way. Thanks!

Hey - I'm OK with the fact that I have a LOT of nerd hobbies . I came to terms with that a loooooong time ago. :D

oooo you bugger!!!! one of my models is called 'sakura' - japanese for cherry blossom - and i was one day gonna either inlay something like that or do pretty much exactly what you've done.

i hate you :D

Don't hate be 'cause I got to it first.

Besides - you're a MULTI-GOTM winner. I'm going to lose this month again with a last minute rally of TWO different entries.

I chose not to try the spray paint idea. If it didn't work out, it'd be a mother getting the paint out of all of the holes.

Given the intricacy of the design that seems like a sensible decision. I'm guessing it would have been near impossible to get the inner edges covered with any degree of uniformity.

That said, you've done a beautiful job.

Nothing unusual - just standard scrollsaw technique. I cut everything with a 12 TPI blade, burned off the fuzzies on the back with a lighter, and sanded the front by hand. On a scrollsaw, anything past 7TPI leaves a pretty smooth surface with no sanding or filing needed.

My concern in the finishing is not getting the holes filled up with finish. I may have to buy a rattle can of finish just for the front. Worse things have happened.