Pickguard Material Options

Hey Everyone,

Could you offer some suggestions on pickguard material that can be purchased locally from a plastics store? The local plastic stores don't have Garolite. Is there any other material that can be used? I would prefer something with a pearloid effect, but will settle for a solid color material.

Also, what is the standard thickness for pickguards, 1/16"?

Thanks for all your help.

Ron

Edited by Ron.

you can order peraloid from any luthier suply or ebay.

personaly i like ot think outside the box on this one. i have been doing leather just layering fiberglass and then a sheet of copper on the back to stiffin it up and add instant shielding.

you can order peraloid from any luthier suply or ebay.

personaly i like ot think outside the box on this one. i have been doing leather just layering fiberglass and then a sheet of copper on the back to stiffin it up and add instant shielding.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Fiber glass and leather sure does seem way "outside the box" I would love to see a picture of that.

I'm sure It looks great.

I know there are a lot of places online that sell pickguard material and pearloid, but I need It for tomorrow , so I was hoping that the local plastic store would have something that I could purchase today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ron

Around .100" is pretty common. I find it interesting that StewMac's clear pickguards are spec'ed at .085" thick, when clear plexi sheets that are so common are around .100"

And I mention clear, 'cause you can paint the back side any color (that will stick to the plexi) and it looks top-notch on the shiny side. Or you can do something more simple, yet crazier looking, by backing the clear guard with Christmas wrapping paper or whatever (not gluing it to the guard, but a carefully cut match)

im about to go to work but i will see if i can get some pics up either tonight or in the morning.

Hi Tim,

that would be great, thanks.

Around .100" is pretty common. I find it interesting that StewMac's clear pickguards are spec'ed at .085" thick, when clear plexi sheets that are so common are around .100"

And I mention clear, 'cause you can paint the back side any color (that will stick to the plexi) and it looks top-notch on the shiny side. Or you can do something more simple, yet crazier looking, by backing the clear guard with Christmas wrapping paper or whatever (not gluing it to the guard, but a carefully cut match)

Hey soapbarstrat,

Those are great idea's. Thanks a lot

Ron

ok dont laugh

IMG00025-20100518-0940.jpg

IMG00028-20100518-0942.jpg

IMG00029-20100518-0942.jpg

the black one still needs some work (some day i will get off my lazy rear and order new screws for the trem pickgaurd and some new sadles) but honestly i dont pick it up much the natual one is the one i usualy go for even though it looks like crap it plays great. anyway the leather isnt for every one but i like it i was mainly sugesting to think a little diffent some times great ideas come for not being able to do the norm.

btw if any one dicides to do this for any strange reason make two tempalates counter sink the screw holes in one of the temps, then double stick tape the back fo the pickgaurd to one then drill out all the screw holes and blot the two templates together sandwiching the pickgaurd between them. it will keep the edges nice and crisp.

Edited by Tim37

ok dont laugh

the black one still needs some work (some day i will get off my lazy rear and order new screws for the trem pickgaurd and some new sadles) but honestly i dont pick it up much the natual one is the one i usualy go for even though it looks like crap it plays great. anyway the leather isnt for every one but i like it i was mainly sugesting to think a little diffent some times great ideas come for not being able to do the norm.

btw if any one dicides to do this for any strange reason make two tempalates counter sink the screw holes in one of the temps, then double stick tape the back fo the pickgaurd to one then drill out all the screw holes and blot the two templates together sandwiching the pickgaurd between them. it will keep the edges nice and crisp.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and explain the process. Why would anyone laugh, they look cool and different. I can see myself doing something like that. Your reply and sopabarstrat's have made It clear that you can get really creative when making pickguards.

So that I'm clear, the leather is sandwiched between the copper sheeting and the fiberglass, right? Also, how thick is the fiberglass?

Thanks again,

Ron

Edited by Ron.

the layers go leather(top) fiberglass cloth i used 2 layers and resin of coarse then the thin copper sheeting. the copper isn't necessary but would recomend maybet three layers of fiber cloth if ya dont use it. btw i got the copper frome hobby lobby. what i did was tape a peice of wax paper to a board then tape the leather to it then i put the fiber glass and resin on then the copper foil then layed another piece of wax paper over that then another board and put some wieght on it to make sure every thing set up nice and flat. let that sit a day or so then pull it all apart mounted it to my templates rough cut it as best i could then took it to the router table.

i hope that was clear if not i will see if i can explain it better.

the layers go leather(top) fiberglass cloth i used 2 layers and resin of coarse then the thin copper sheeting. the copper isn't necessary but would recomend maybet three layers of fiber cloth if ya dont use it. btw i got the copper frome hobby lobby. what i did was tape a peice of wax paper to a board then tape the leather to it then i put the fiber glass and resin on then the copper foil then layed another piece of wax paper over that then another board and put some wieght on it to make sure every thing set up nice and flat. let that sit a day or so then pull it all apart mounted it to my templates rough cut it as best i could then took it to the router table.

i hope that was clear if not i will see if i can explain it better.

Hi Tim,

You did just fine explaining the process in more detail. Thanks for your help.

Ron.