my guitar

Oh.. 31Fret.. ^^

Fretting is difficult working ^^

How Long time Your wood is dried..

Fine have resin. so long time air dry need.

if you have router.. make Template is importance.

make Template and try cheap wood.. and check ..

Good luck..

Custom_Curtis Posted on Jan 2 2004, 09:11 PM

nice guitar, 31 frets eh? damn, be insane, become so hardocre guitaris and have a solo on the 29th fret, see how many people can play it

Curtis 

thats the plan :D

hyunsu Posted on Jan 2 2004, 09:41 PM

Oh.. 31Fret.. ^^

How Long time Your wood is dried......

Fine have resin. so long time air dry need.

if you have router.. make Template is importance.....

Good luck..

wood has been drying for ages now! closing on 5 months for the body wood i think! i used a jig to guide the router and used a printed template for the routs.

thanks!

darren wilson Posted on Jan 3 2004, 12:06 AM

Pitch pine? I'm curious to learn how that sounds and whether it's strong enough to hold trem posts and a bolt-on neck! Sure has some gorgeous grain, though!

I think itll be plenty strong for holding those things, its a strong wood!

For finish i am thinkng either oiled or PolyU for a really high gloss job.

krizalid Posted on Jan 3 2004, 01:26 AM

hai mikeB... go on dude... go on for your dreams... it rocks dude...

thanks alot!!

thanks everybody for all your great feedback!

mike

BLS Posted on Jan 2 2004, 01:53 PM

31 frets huh? just like Michael Angelo  Looks Good so far 

thanks alot man!! tho my playing pales in insignifigance when i hear him!!! his 31 fret guitar is cool. is that the one from the origional vid speed kills? the origional vid of that was the best!

mike

Yep that video is amazing. I still think he wears a wig though :D

9of7 X 3of2 Posted on Jan 3 2004, 01:41 PM

That wood is beautifull  great job!! 

If it were me, Id get some of that Stew Mac stain, and stain it light blue or green. With the way that grain looks it would come out awesome. But no matter how you do it, its gonna look sweet!! 

cheers man!! i might stain it, im still unsure. i am going to research this more, look at some stain tests on the off cuts.

canuckguitarist Posted on Jan 3 2004, 04:57 PM

wow, thats going to be awesome!

please tell me your not putting a solid colour on the body, that grain is soooo cool! What did you use for to carve the top btw? 

thanks dude!!! no solid colours!!! bought the wood for its grain, hehe!!!

lol, for carving the top, hehe, i used a disk sanding attachment for the power drill and sanded away!! btw i marked how far in i wanted the carve to extend prior to the carving. i finished the carve with lots of elbow grease and a sanding block to remove the ripples.

thanks all!!

mike

daveq Posted on Jan 3 2004, 06:29 PM

Do you have any info on that pitch pine? Do you think it will be hard enough? It certainly looks great. I'd like to learn more about it if you have any info or links about it. 

yea, it looks very good! i have a woods catalogue on disk somewhere, but i think its on another computer. tomorrow ill get the info for you. i think itll be plenty hard enough, as its equally hard as ash i think.... ill post the info asap!

cya!

mike

Ava-Adore Posted on Jan 3 2004, 06:39 PM

i think 31 frets is an awesome idea, brilliant. 

really? that is quite inspiring!! i was expecting a sorta "hes not doing whats normally done, hes different" kinda approach, but all these compliments are totally great!!

Tuned to E it allows me to play up to b, which i think may be useful! (check the caprices!!)

here are some figures from the catalogue, as promised.

I am going to quote the percentage of volumetric shrinkage of green to oven dry wood in these following examples.

Alder, red 12.6%

Ash, white 13.3%

Maple, silver 12.0%

Walnut, black 12.8%

Basswood 15.8%

and now my wood, pitch pine :D

Pitch Pine 10.9%!!

above i have quoted the most likely used woods in guitar making, these are also the best figures for that type of wood, for example:

Black ash is 15.2%

and

sugar Maple is 14.7%

this shows that Pitch Pine is by far superior!! i will post density and hardness tests when i find them!!!

mike

i think 31 frets is an awesome idea, brilliant.

Me too. All looks grande from here. Cant wait to see it!

I only ever saw one 31 fret guitar and that wasnt a real 31 fret guitar. Anyone remember the Washburn strat with the fretboard that ended in an arc shape? It had 27 REAL frets on all strings, but ended on 31 on the high e string because of the shape. I seem to remember it had a crackle finish.

thanks man!!!

Anyone remember the Washburn strat with the fretboard that ended in an arc shape? It had 27 REAL frets on all strings, but ended on 31 on the high e string because of the shape. I seem to remember it had a crackle finish.

yea, i know the one. there were 2 guitars of this type, there was a 29 fret one and a 36 fret one.

washburnec-closeup.jpg

that the one?

washburn_full_frontal.jpg

theres another!!

Image177.jpg

another closeup!

washburn29fretflame.jpg

theres the 29 fret!

later guys!!

Snork Posted on Jan 4 2004, 08:06 PM

i dont think thats his... but if it is PROPS! 

those guitars in the pics above are the product of george washburn, the EC36 and the EC29. both very nice guitars!

mine are found here.

goat Posted on Jan 4 2004, 08:02 PM

Looks awesome! :)Great grain ,great job! 

thanks alot!!!

What was the sanding disk like to use? I've just borrowed one and I'm still umming and arring about whether to use it. I'm thinking about using it to put a curve on the top.

Very nice job by the way. That wood is gorgeous.

Hotrock Posted on Jan 5 2004, 09:25 AM

What was the sanding disk like to use? I've just borrowed one and I'm still umming and arring about whether to use it. I'm thinking about using it to put a curve on the top.

the sanding disk is very good at shaping, provided your work piece is well clamped!! use a really firm grip on the drill. the one thing about the disk is that it leaves little ripples which have to be sanded off, i removed them by hand sanding with a block and an orbital sander. wear a dust mask also!!! trust me!

Very nice job by the way. That wood is gorgeous.

thanks alot!!! very nice wood to work with!

mike

The grain looks really wide, do you think you'll have any problems preparing the wood for finishing? (wide grained wood are harder to fill arent they?). Whats the finish gonna be Mike? I like the carved parts, is it difficult getting it looking even and not...well....uneven?

Ava-Adore Posted on Jan 5 2004, 08:05 PM

Can't wait to see it! 31 frets or 29, however you want to look at it, is very cool, like an artist, the guitar is your tool. awesome 

yeh mee too!! hope its as good as the kit guitar i made...

mike

fidgec94 Posted on Jan 6 2004, 07:04 AM

The grain looks really wide, do you think you'll have any problems preparing the wood for finishing? (wide grained wood are harder to fill arent they?). Whats the finish gonna be Mike? I like the carved parts, is it difficult getting it looking even and not...well....uneven? 

i dont thinkl there will be any problems at all, because i wont need to fill any of the grain, its in very good shape! wide grains are harder to fill yes.

finish will be a clear polyU finish, hopefully very glassy and deep looking! i may add a stain, i cant think at the moment!

Thanks for complimenting the carve! the trick is to take time over it, as dad said to me it has to get worse before itll get better!! just be patient with it, and dont rush the carve, keep an even surface (as much as possible) because this leaves you with not too much finish sanding.

Thanks for the comment fidge!

Mike