wip02.jpg

wip03.jpg

Rhoads V

1 1/2" thick mahogany body

bubinga neck

24 fret canarywood fretboard

chrome hardware

Ibanez & Washburn HSH pups

The body & headstock will be painted purple.

This one might be a slow burn, or it might get knocked out sooner than I expect. I really don't know yet.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that's looking great! the neck tenon looks like it will be nice and long!

Also cool choice for fretboard wood! it will look awesome!

Good work!

C

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

wip03.jpg

Rhoads V

1 1/2" thick mahogany body

bubinga neck

24 fret canarywood fretboard

chrome hardware

Ibanez & Washburn HSH pups

The body & headstock will be painted purple.

This one might be a slow burn, or it might get knocked out sooner than I expect. I really don't know yet.

DiezelMonster - It'll be a bolt-on, so the extra beyond the f/b is getting cut off. I just haven't got there yet.

Valentine - I cut it from a board I picked up at Woodcraft a few months ago.

Juntunen - Recessed TOM with a V through-the-body plate. I don't do trems very often. When I do, my preference is a Kahler.

Is the purple gonna be a girly light purple, or an evil dark purple?

No lavender for me. It'll be medium to dark.

I'm actually going to re-do the neck. I got past inlaying the dots when I remembered that I have a set of pearl V inlays I had set aside for this exact project. It's not like I can't or won't use the neck somewhere else, but DANGIT! :D I might even finish it up and put it on eBay to recoup the investment. That would make it easier to re-do the entire thing since I have issues with using the same woods in different builds.

Right now, I have a BUNCH of options.

NECK: granadillo, bubinga w/pinstripes, maple, makore

FRETBOARD: canary, chechen, makore, bloodwood

I need the neck to balance tonally with the mahogany body, and the fretboard to contrast with the inlays.

I cut the pieces for the replacement neck today - the one that will get the pearl V inlays. It'll be a 9-piece maple/makore neck with a makore fretboard. Not nearly as sexy as the canary, but it'll show off the inlays quite well. And I don't recall seeing anyone use makore before.

I call copy cat.

Did you do something similar? Can you please link the post?

out of curiosity why did you go with the older designed rhoads?

Because that's the template I have.

I knew you would... that's why I asked for the end results.

After sleeping on it, I think I've changed my mind. I have some granadillo & bubinga left, and they're pretty close in color to the makore. The makore is pretty uninteresting to look at. I took a look at the other woods I've used for a f/b, and they're all way harder than makore - even the flamed & birdseye maple.

What? No purpleheart in the mix? Could look cool with the suggested mid-to-dark purple paint :D

Welcome back!

I fave PH some thought for the lams, but decided against it. I didn't think the purple wood would look alongside the purple paint. They wouldn't match up closely enough. I AM using it on a different neck I haven't shown y'all yet.....