Country Rhoads, Take Me Home...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good one Muzz. :D

Given that the Rhoads ia basically a big slab with beveled edges - no roundovers, belly cuts, or anything else curvy like that - I decided to use a brush. I've ALWAYS been able to get extremely good results with a brush... until this one time. Application wise, brushing is a lot easier and faster than the Misto.

Fret not. Misto will make more appearances in the future.

As for this ax, I still haven't been able to get back to it. Too much going on this week. Between the Firebird, last night's dinner party, and today's having to get a tetanus shot because of the nail I stepped on last night, it's been pushed aside for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally got off my lazy azz and fixed the wiring. I ended up having to yank the DiMarzio pups. The bridge was pencil thin no matter what I did to it. It was a toss-up between some brand new Epiphones and some brand new "Powered by Lace". I went with the Lace. The sound isn't bad, but it's a little bland. I was expecting the bridge to have a few more highs, but it isn't unplayable.

Now I just need to make the c/c cover. Maybe it'll be done before 2012. :D

I finally got off my lazy azz and fixed the wiring. I ended up having to yank the DiMarzio pups. The bridge was pencil thin no matter what I did to it. It was a toss-up between some brand new Epiphones and some brand new "Powered by Lace". I went with the Lace. The sound isn't bad, but it's a little bland. I was expecting the bridge to have a few more highs, but it isn't unplayable.

Maybe by that time I will have the paperwork submited to Seymour Duncan and I will be a dealer for them and you can get some decent pups for that guitar :D I have been meaning to get that paperwork in for a few months but I've been too busy with other things.

Hmmm... wonder what is the prob? If you want send them to me and I will take a look.

There's a brand new issue. :D There's an unbelievable amount of "lack of clearance" past the 12th fret. It's like there's a really high fret, but there isn't.

I took the neck off, adjusted the tension on the truss rod so that it was as close to straight as possible, then re-leveled the frets. As the issue is with the upper register,I gave some extra attention to them. Believe me - they are NOT higher than the lower ones. But when I put it all back together, almost everything frets out past the 12th-14th fret.

OK.... what do I do?

Both of those necks are very nice. Good work!

That's too bad that under tension, you loose clearance in the higher registers. If you put a straight edge along the neck while under tension, can you measure (with a feeler gauge)

1) relief at the 7-8th fret

2) check that the higher frets are not coming up towards the strings

3) chek the nut slot depths. When you fret at the second fret, what is the clearance between the 1st fret and the bottom of the string?

I put, a few years ago, a Fender Custom Shop 69 set in my strato. CS69´s are a vintage low gain pups, to compense this I put all pups higher that I can.

The results sounds great till 10th fret, at this point to the end of scale, in all strings, when played sounds the main note and a ghost note, like a bad octave was conected to the guitar. I disassembly the guitar about 4 times, leveling the frets twice, remake the eletrical conections one time and nothing change: the ghost note was always there. And may clearance gone to hell, this ghost note dirt completly the sound.

When I decide to remove the pups I begin to down then, thinking "this not gona happen" so I plug the guitar with pups completly down and for my surprise the sound was perfectly! The final setup was made with the neck position completly down, the middle a little bit higher and the bridge position completly high.

Well all this to ask you if you don´t try do drop the neck position pup. In my case the alnico magnets was to strong that causes this deformation in the sound.

Lucky!