Quilted Maple Satriani

Just checked Jaden online. He can get them easy enough it seems. Might give em a shout when the finish gets movin along again, Just found a set of power trons I totaly forgot I had. Im checkin em out tomorrow in my groovey JS test bed thing.

Speakin of builds fightin you. The dog scared the crap outa me earlier when a stupid cat stroled into the workshop. Dog freaked & launched at the maengy little fooker, I ended dousing myself & most of the neck in danish oil. So now the fret board has a single coat of danish on it :D. But the workshop floor looks great now :D

Somehow the chicks strat managed to dodge all of it

Did the cat survive or does Don't eat that now like cats as well as walnut? (tastes just like chickin B) )

Are you staining walnut?

SR

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paulie, hows your dye holding up?

Holding it's own, still fading, or getting stripped?

SR

Hey Scott. Its still fading :D

The back is holding up realy well, Including the black. Makes me think there is something up with the maple on the front.

But Oddly enough, the sample piece I done up is still strong as ever. Green & black are still good :D I just dont get it. has me totally stumped.

Im gona get some more done on the neck, you know - radius, frets, oil, bla bla bla.

Then I rekon I will just strip the body & start over.

You said you have a couple of coats of clear on the body to seal it. Do you have any clear on the sample piece? If not, do you suppose therre is some kind of reaction between the dye and the clear that's leaching the color out?

SR

Na, both totaly the same.

Not like they are even different pieces of timber, The sample is an offcut from making the top for this guitar. has me totaly stumped, cant figure it out at all.

Yep, Here's my stain try outs, you can easily see the stain fade at the side of the bit that has had some lacquer on it on the red piece.

348msed.jpg

looks like stain doesn't have much resistance to fade until its sealed in.

Just checked Jaden online. He can get them easy enough it seems. Might give em a shout when the finish gets movin along again, Just found a set of power trons I totaly forgot I had. Im checkin em out tomorrow in my groovey JS test bed thing.

Speakin of builds fightin you. The dog scared the crap outa me earlier when a stupid cat stroled into the workshop. Dog freaked & launched at the maengy little fooker, I ended dousing myself & most of the neck in danish oil. So now the fret board has a single coat of danish on it :D. But the workshop floor looks great now :D

Somehow the chicks strat managed to dodge all of it

Did the cat survive or does Don't eat that now like cats as well as walnut? (tastes just like chickin B) )

Are you staining walnut?

SR

Na. Cats too fast, once the dogs have em into the trees they have no chance.

Yea im staining walnut, I do it sometimes to exagerate the grain. Little black dye cut way back looks groovy. Or at least i think so. I dont stain all my walnut, Just depends on the build.

Nice build bro :D just a question did you do the vine inlay yourself or is it a pre -done one ? reason I ask is I would love to build a Jem for myself and although I have seen some pre-made ones the quality wasn't very good any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Did it myself. Have done heaps of them over the years & they can be a real pain if not planned out properly.

I would not do an ebony board to start, Rosewood will be easier.

use pearloid for the first one as it will be easier than real pearl.

Make the inlays first, then rout your board to fit the inlay - NOT the other way round.

sand the board with 2000 grit paper & mix the wood dust with clear epoxy to glue in the inlays. only make up a little at a time. your glue will then be almost invisible

Most importantly, take your time, if you start getting frustrated then leav it & go chill for a while then come back to it.

I used a template made by a guy on here called bionic dave. Needs a little finishing when you get it to tweak it to your liking, spray it with teflon to help protect it bla bla bla.

But it cut the time to do the inlay almost in half, get in touch with him about one. I dont know why I ever did these freehand after using it. B)

& put up piks on the forum as you go, Builders on here will spot potential errors way ahead of you & help you avoid problems.

Hey Paulie,

Tiny little Put That Down ate his first piece of Walnut last night. Hey Don't Eat That would be so proud. :D

Have you peeked at your green dye job lately?

SR

COOL !! :D its weird, they seem to go for the oily woods, or the ones that smell groovey when you work them.

Yea the green seems to be hangin there realy well, Im happy again B)

But havent realy gotten anything done for the past week or so on any builds. Getting married this weekend so thats kinda takin priority you know, So the blue strat is getting sorted first. Gotta have a shredder strat that matches the brides maids dresses for the chick to let rip on, every wedding needs that B) .

Hey Paulie,

Tiny little Put That Down ate his first piece of Walnut last night. Hey Don't Eat That would be so proud. :D

Have you peeked at your green dye job lately?

SR

COOL !! :D its weird, they seem to go for the oily woods, or the ones that smell groovey when you work them.

Yea the green seems to be hangin there realy well, Im happy again B)

But havent realy gotten anything done for the past week or so on any builds. Getting married this weekend so thats kinda takin priority you know, So the blue strat is getting sorted first. Gotta have a shredder strat that matches the brides maids dresses for the chick to let rip on, every wedding needs that B) .

WOAH! Jumpin right in the middle of that one aren't you? Congrats mate. That might make all 3 or the Ps tougher to come by, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. You are kind of making it sound like "the chick" getting the blue strat is going to be "the bride". I bet Irish weddings are a hoot.

Best of luck and long life Paul.

Scott

Yea the bride is getting the blue strat, Im bringing along one I call Skinny Les & a 7 string nylon jobbie.

she cool for a chik. Lets me away with a 100 watt marshall, a strat, a les paul & a nylon string in the living room, 350 watt marshall, 100 watt marshall, 100 watt vox, 100 watt fender & a crap load of guitars in my little office at home aswell. Cant go wrong realy :D

Wedding should be a laugh. Most of my extended family are fairly savage musicians, there will be banjos, bouzukies, spanish pipes, flutes, low whistles, guitars & a 7 string guitanjo (guitar necked banjo) in the hotel for after the band are finished up. should be a good one :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Wedding sorted, time to get back to work.

Took this thing out of the drying area today & man was I glad it is still green. Dye seems to be holding up this time so time to get moving on it again. Got the neck levelled, frets installed & edges cleaned up. cut the clear & got another coat onto it, Drying over night now.

Few piks.

DSCF1771copy.jpg

DSCF1773copy.jpg

DSCF1775copy.jpg

DSCF1772copy.jpg

Yeah, I think this dye job came out better than the first one even when it was fresh. I just realized that you are clearing this before you have drilled for your pots. Do you always do it that way?

So, was Mrs. Paulie happy with the blue strat......and what not?

SR

Yea I always do it this way if im using dye.

Stain it, let it dry out thoroughly, apply the first 2 coats of clear, leav it a few days, then drill the holes.

Im paranoid about the wood splitting around the holes if I drill them then apply moisture in the form of a dye, happens sometimes as the wood dries out again. So I wait till its dyed, dried & sealed to drill.

The chick loved the strat, Had a whole heap of people sign it instead of a guest book. Its stripped down & getting some clear put on it to protect the signiatures. Looks fookin cool. :D

Played fairly savage aswell. Poor wedding band guitarist had no chance :D

• 1 month later...
Hey Paulie,

Is this still yours? First it was, then it wasn't, then it was.....

Business must be good, you sound busier than a peg leg pirate at a butt kicking contest.

SR

Hey Scott.

Yea its mine again. hence the absolutly no freakin progress problem :D

The guy who bought it came in for a look at the finish & neck, while he was there he tried out another one I had made, JS with an ash body, ash neck, rosewood board, loaded with TV jones pups. wouldent give it back ha ha ha :D .

So we came to an arrangement & this is mine again. all worked out in the end.

Have a funky 01 piece in the works for him just now. All cut from a single lump of sapele. only glue joint is for the fret board. I might throw some piks up later.

Im tryin to decide on black or gold pickups for this green JS. cant decide, Any opinions ?????

Will a gold trem & machines be too much with Gold power trons ?

Gold would probably work and would look pretty rich, but I see black every time I close my eys and picture it. And black plays such a major part in the front and back wood coloration. Maybe with some silver accents?

One piece gits always get my attention. I've never held one, but I'd think they feel very alive when played. Be sure to give us a glimpse.

SR

No problems man. I will put up some piks of the one piece later, Almost ready for a buff & hardware install. Probly should have taken piks & done a thread but what the hell :D

As for black pups, i duno. I keep thinking they will be to much of a big black mass in the middle of the guitar. Maby I should do a quick test fit & slap up a comparison pik of the 2. Driving me nuts trying to decide.

Hey Scott, check it out.

This is the one piece guitar I was talkin about. Sapele. Body, neck & headstock all cut as one piece & then carved by hand to the final shape.

Rosewood fretboard.

Only glue in the whole thing is holding the board onto the rest of the neck & the side dots into the board :D

Its called a Black Lotus, I dont get to do very many (only the second one) as most people want it with a figured top.

DSCF1789copy.jpgDSCF1793copy.jpgDSCF1786copy.jpgDSCF1790copy.jpg

Couldent find any black pickups, Only zebras. And they didnt look anywhere near good. But I rekon the gold is gona work fine. These are just a stand in for visual aid. But I think gold pups with black rings is the way to go here

DSCF1800copy.jpgDSCF1797copy.jpg

And just in case anyones interested. This is the chiks strat by the end of the wedding.

johnhiggins_20100902_00496.jpgjohnhiggins_20100902_00495.jpg