Quilted Maple Satriani

Holy guacamole Pualie, I LOVE THAT BLACK LOTUS! Bueatiful flowing lines and contours. Damme that's nice. Did you build any neck angle into it? What kind of finish and hardware is that going to get?

The gold on the green beast will look very rich. I hope you've got gold tuners to balance it out.

I agree about all the signatures as a great momento from the wedding. Much cooler than a guest book. What's the story behind the reversed headstock. That totally got past me in the first shots you posted of it.

SR

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, guest books suck. They just get put away & never seen again. waste of money. At least she can jam out on her guest strat @ anaversery parties & crap. Looks cool mounted aswell :D

I use reverse CBS styled heads on all my strats, except my SRV. I just think the standard headstock doesent look right, Has a bad vibe, looks kinda depressed. You know, kinda like its lookin down. But flip it over & its an instant mood change, Maby im showing my inner weirdo here but screw it :D

Yea, gold tuners for the green JS. so green quilted top, Sapele black burst back, Black walnut neck, Rosewood board, Gold hardware & TV Jones powertron pickups. works for me.

Hey paulie - like your guitar website. You're Aeolian, I'm Lydian LOL!

www.lydian.ca

HA HA HA COOL ! & into the bookmarks that goes. There is a lydian music school over here in dublin :D

Glad you like the geets, Have a very cool pair of Jems in the works just now that I will be putting up soon, Kinda like your evil twin explorers.

www.lydian.ca

HA HA HA COOL ! & into the bookmarks that goes. There is a lydian music school over here in dublin :D

Glad you like the geets, Have a very cool pair of Jems in the works just now that I will be putting up soon, Kinda like your evil twin explorers.

I have to revive the mahogany/lacewood Jem thread I decided to complete. I'd love to see yours.

www.lydian.ca

I have to revive the mahogany/lacewood Jem thread I decided to complete. I'd love to see yours.

Havent bothered to take piks of the actual builds, Was just gona put up the finished guitars. But I might throw up a few of the top being done on one of them. Seeing as this thread is turning into a mashup of a few geets being done simultaniously.

• 2 months later...

Happy birthday Paulie.

So, is this green beastie still hiding in the dark, or are you bringing it out into the light every once in a while?

SR

Hey scott. The green thing is still on the go. Trying to get the final sanding & buffing done on the finish at the moment. Have a few others on for customers that are taking up all my time so its taking a while but thats ok. 3 of the customer jobs are for JS models & I love carving them so its all good :D

Customers getting in the way huh? I suppose that is the plan isn't it? I hadn't seen you around for a few weeks....wanted to make sure you were still kickin'.

So do you still have that 1-piece sapele git or does it have a happy new home now?

...and I had forgotten about that busted up acoustic....did that make a nice warm fire or did you get it sorted?

SR

Customers getting in the way huh? I suppose that is the plan isn't it? I hadn't seen you around for a few weeks....wanted to make sure you were still kickin'.

So do you still have that 1-piece sapele git or does it have a happy new home now?

...and I had forgotten about that busted up acoustic....did that make a nice warm fire or did you get it sorted?

SR

Yea, customers are a problem. But they pay me to mess about with guitars all day so I can forgive them :D

I had a dose of pneumonia over the last 3 weeks of december so things were kinda not happenin you know, But back on the feet now so its all good. I still have the dead acoustic. Guy just abandoned it when he heard the work involved. So it will be a little project for later in the year.

• 3 months later...

Got some time for one of my own today. So a few hours of buffing on this green jobbie & the top is lookin groovey :D

Should be able to get the back done this weekend aswell , I hope !!.

DSCF2194.jpgDSCF2188.jpgDSCF2185.jpgDSCF2182.jpg

Got a little on the headstock done aswell. Routed out for the inlay, I think I might just let it stay a shallow recess, Looks kinda cool without the inlay in it with the green surround. Ill get a pik when the camera is charged again, batteries crapped out taking these.

I can see little people swimming around in the top, it's either a beautiful finish or my current state of mind, or both :D

Must be loosing yer mind Muzz. this is just a plain white guitar, Honest to god B)

But Then again I can see homer just above the trem cavity. The overall look of the thing makes me think of a big squishy green brain, Which for some reason makes me hungry :D

Wow Paulie, you really did get some work done on this. That top is gorgeous. The quilt looks to be just under a mile deep and I love how transparent the black burst got. It looks like it is suspended halfway between the surface of the clear and the top mound of the quilt. Stayed nicely deep green this time too. 4000 may not be enough to keep it from selling.

SR

Wow Paulie, you really did get some work done on this. That top is gorgeous. The quilt looks to be just under a mile deep and I love how transparent the black burst got. It looks like it is suspended halfway between the surface of the clear and the top mound of the quilt. Stayed nicely deep green this time too. 4000 may not be enough to keep it from selling.

SR

Glad you like it scott. but as you predicted, i didnt get much time for my own builds. one of my younger cousins arrived up with a brand new Gibson Les Paul, he wasnt very happ with how it played & I have to say i dont blame him.

The finish is nice & the top has a nice mild flame. The neck is good & heavy & its got those 57 custom pups in it that hey are putting out now. But fook me, someone needs a slap in the gibo factory for their quality control, the frets were awfull :D & the fret board had some realy bad tear out on the surface, i mean bad enough that I would have spent a while re-radiusing it to get rid of them or just used another one.

I ran a diamond file over the frets thinking it would just be one or two that were messing it up, But there were about 10 that needed attention. So I did a fret level & dress on it for him, Couldent let him play a Les Paul like that.

I tell you man, Gibson are the pinacle of guitar building for me, Les Pauls are the pick of the bunch. My Opinion anyway. But this is not the first one like this I have seen new from the factory, Realy tiks me off you know. Like getting a new Ducati that handeled like crap of a harley that was a rough ride.

Maby i just didnt know any better when I was younger & getting into the whole guitar thing. But its just kinda depressing when you idol sucks :D

someone needs a slap in the gibo factory for their quality control, the frets were awfull :D & the fret board had some realy bad tear out on the surface, i mean bad enough that I would have spent a while re-radiusing it to get rid of them or just used another one.

I ran a diamond file over the frets thinking it would just be one or two that were messing it up, But there were about 10 that needed attention. So I did a fret level & dress on it for him, Couldent let him play a Les Paul like that.

I tell you man, Gibson are the pinacle of guitar building for me, Les Pauls are the pick of the bunch. My Opinion anyway. But this is not the first one like this I have seen new from the factory, Realy tiks me off you know. Like getting a new Ducati that handeled like crap of a harley that was a rough ride.

you wouldn't believe how many times i've heard this about Gibsons..... :D

someone needs a slap in the gibo factory for their quality control, the frets were awfull :D & the fret board had some realy bad tear out on the surface, i mean bad enough that I would have spent a while re-radiusing it to get rid of them or just used another one.

you wouldn't believe how many times i've heard this about Gibsons..... :D

I understand that extra time spent on finish & quality control pushes up the cost, but come on. its not hard to level frets in a factory. some others seem to manage it OK. Just annoys me you know.

Maby i just didnt know any better when I was younger & getting into the whole guitar thing. But its just kinda depressing when you idol sucks

I actually was able to tour their factory in Memphis. I don't know if I was impressed or dissapointed.

All industrial line, specialized and mechanized. Very impressive from an industrial view, but you lose the individual care that specialty instruments have. Or maybe Ive spent too much time in these forums and working on so few guitars. :D

I actually was able to tour their factory in Memphis. I don't know if I was impressed or dissapointed.

All industrial line, specialized and mechanized. Very impressive from an industrial view, but you lose the individual care that specialty instruments have. Or maybe Ive spent too much time in these forums and working on so few guitars. :D

and isnt memphis supposed to be the high end custom shop side of things

• 1 month later...

and isnt memphis supposed to be the high end custom shop side of things

Indeed it is wez. Indeed it is. I duno. I still love Les Pauls, take one over just about anything else out there. Except for my own stuff of course, But I cant expect these factories to be as good as I am :D

I re-radiused the board on that standard & refretted it. Replaced the bridge with a gotoh unit that locks in place, reversed the magnet in the neck pup, rewired it all with nice heavy vintage wiring, replaced the pots & put in 2 sprague orange drops. NOW it plays & like one of my own les pauls.

Anyway, All that time on other peoples guitars doesnt give me much time for my personal gitirz. But I got some hours into this one today. I will get good piks when its day light again (01.00 in the morning now ) But for now these will do.

DSCF2409copy.jpgDSCF2412copy.jpgDSCF2413copy.jpgDSCF2417copy.jpg

Verrrrrrry tasty Paulie. :D

I had forgotten what the back looked like, so I had to backtrack to see it again. I saw your wife's wedding strat and a really nasty beat up broken acoustic on the way. So my point is I got another look at the original dye job, before it faded. I like this one much better. This is gorgeous. It took forever, :D but, you got a lot done in this thread.

SR

Edited by ScottR

Verrrrrrry tasty Paulie. B)

I had forgotten what the back looked like, so I had to backtrack to see it again. I saw your wife's wedding strat and a really nasty beat up broken acoustic on the way. So my point is I got another look at the original dye job, before it faded. I like this one much better. This is gorgeous. It took forever, :D but, you got a lot done in this thread.

SR

The back is not quite finished yet. Still need to polish the cover for the trem cavite. But otherwise its all good. Plays realy well & sounds even beter than I taught it would. Realy thick smooth tone. I will see if I can put together some sound samples, If I can get my head around how to do it (all that recording crap baffels the hell outa me) If I get it all done I might GOTM it for next month (Just for a laugh, it will get its ass kicked :D )

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have guitar envy, the green quilt goes so great with the gold hardware, in fact everything works on this one.

Hey I have the same delay pedal :D

Glad you like it, I always wanted a green quilted Js with gold hardware. Ibanez wont get off their asses & build it so an AEolian it is. when I get time to finish the back panel I might GOTM this one.

Not a bad delay pedal are they. I have one into the effects loop with a chorus, & another between the guitar & amp. makes for some realy dirty sounds when they are both on. Thats my rig in the workshop for customers to check out their guitars. overkill, but screw it :D

OK I have guitar envy, the green quilt goes so great with the gold hardware, in fact everything works on this one.

Hey I have the same delay pedal B)

Glad you like it, I always wanted a green quilted Js with gold hardware. Ibanez wont get off their asses & build it so an AEolian it is. when I get time to finish the back panel I might GOTM this one.

Not a bad delay pedal are they. I have one into the effects loop with a chorus, & another between the guitar & amp. makes for some realy dirty sounds when they are both on. Thats my rig in the workshop for customers to check out their guitars. overkill, but screw it :D

That is a good idea to have such a cool amp for your customers to try out their new guitars on.

I love the MF350 I had a go on one at a guitar show a while back, great articulation and sustain. Here's my amp, I connect the delay pedal into the effects loop and switch it in and out using the amps footswitch pedalboard.

P4020057E.jpg

Every now and again I think I could plug in a multi effects and control that and the amp by midi, but then I think, nah I just couldn't be $%^#ed :D

Edited by Muzz