Quilted Maple Satriani

Yea I know its another Satriani styled model, But I love carving these things so screw it. This ones for me anyway.

Been getting grief from ScottR about my woefull habit of not uploading piks, or just not documenting builds. so heres a few from this one. Started day before yesterday.

Got the body blank ready & glued on the top thursday (no piks of that process :D. sorry Scott - didnt remember to take piks untill friday)

DSCF1609.jpgDSCF1607.jpgDSCF1610.jpgDSCF1611.jpg

Got it out of the clamps & cleaned up the edges roughly. Doesent need to be spot on perfect around the edges as this is going to be extensivly re-shaped with the rasps to achieve my version of the JS profile from Ibanez.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got going on the neck & body carve aswell.

Neck will be 01 piece Black Walnut with a rosewood board. havent decided wether to make it realy thin like a stock Ibanez or just stick to my usual AEolian flat-back profile.

DSCF1614.jpgDSCF1615.jpgDSCF1616.jpg

Rough cut for the moment. Headstock needs thining to thickness, truss, fretboard & so on. But for now it will suffice for the purpose of the neck pocket cut.

OK. Some piks of the body profile being carved & the neck pocket fit.

After the rough shaping with the router this is all shaped with a rasp. Roughed in for now.

Top horn & neck pocket.

DSCF1619.jpg

Begining of the elbow carve. Just roughed in untill the bridge route is finalised.

DSCF1620.jpg

Checking the neck fit. I think it may be a little too tight, Im thinking about movement in the woods over the seasons. The Walnut in the neck moves very little. Im thinking 0.25mm should be enough to allow for this & still have press fit (tight) @ the heel. Or maby im over thinking it ? :D

DSCF1618.jpgDSCF1617.jpg

Anyway, Its all very rough for now. Needs some serious cleaning up. Time to start looking into a colour i think.

You da man, Paulie.

I was afraid your maple was a mite thin for a proper carve....but I see you didn't let that bother you at all did you. This is looking sweet. I like black quilt...

SR

Nope. A little on the thin side means I get to have a funky kinda foe-binding around the edges.

OK. So hot pink, lime green & neon yellow yea ? Sounds like a nice swirl combo to me, Might look into that, But not for this one.

Anyway, Progress.

Got my bridge assembled (minus the trem so far, but thats around somewhere) Started on the trem recess for the front & post locations.

Marked it all out using 2 machine rules to line up the neck & bridge. Double checked everything - then drilled the post holes. All lines up fine.

So I Went ahead & cut the trem recess for the top aswell.

Got a nice piece of rosewood for the fret board, Lots of cool streaky figuring on it. Slotted it, Just gotta radius it now.

DSCF1628.jpgDSCF1621.jpg

DSCF1624.jpgDSCF1630.jpg

Got a little more of the top done aslo. The carve is prety much finished for the front, Just needs some sanding. The back will need to be profiled a little more but for now I thinks it OK for 3 days in total :D

DSCF1635.jpgDSCF1633.jpgDSCF1634.jpgDSCF1636.jpg

Thats it for now. Ill get more up as I go.

Fantastic :D, gold trem is hot, what pickups are going in? DiMarzio XN2?

Na. Dimarzios alright, But a paf joe & a mo' joe. Same as Joe uses himself.

Just got my tickets to the show here in dublin. schweeeeet !!!

Might drag one of my versions of a JS with me.

Have you settled on a color yet. What about amber ? just a slight tint to bring out the quilt. Like BC Rich do on some of their geets. I think you should definitly consider it

Maple, Sapele, Walnut & rosewood is a nice combo to mar with a vivid colored finish.

Have you settled on a color yet. What about amber ? just a slight tint to bring out the quilt. Like BC Rich do on some of their geets. I think you should definitly consider it

Maple, Sapele, Walnut & rosewood is a nice combo to mar with a vivid colored finish.

Was thinking about that when carving it. Looks nice in the natural tones, In 2 minds about colouring it now :D

Anyway, Progress. Not much but progress none the less.

Got the back & front carves finished, The pup routes & back trem cavity cut. control cavity done aswel, & covers recessed into the back, but the camera died so Gotta charge it up for more piks.

Just sanding the hell out of this lot for finishing. Im thinking about oil over stain so im taking this to 6000 grit. But im not sure about the durability of an oil for the stain. so maby oil on the back & Poly, nitro or wiped varnish for the front.

anyway. some Piks.

DSCF1643.jpgDSCF1644.jpgDSCF1645.jpgDSCF1646.jpg

I'm thinking that would be a very nice color for the quilt. I hope you don't take out all the black, it gives it a smoky quality. I also like the carve on the back. I often wonder why more guitars don't get a back carve. The front view with the mahogany edge showing is very cool too.

SR

OK. Did some experimenting for the colour. Got the hardware all sat into place for a mockup.

looks good in natural but !!

I took my safety glasses & coloured them in with a green candy marker (for making spot light gells) on one lense & then did the same for blue to the other lense. Look thru em & Ta Daaaa ! green guitar with one eye - blue with the other.

I rekon its the green for sure. The gold hardware just works better against it. :D

OK. Did some experimenting for the colour. Got the hardware all sat into place for a mockup.

looks good in natural but !!

I took my safety glasses & coloured them in with a green candy marker (for making spot light gells) on one lense & then did the same for blue to the other lense. Look thru em & Ta Daaaa ! green guitar with one eye - blue with the other.

I rekon its the green for sure. The gold hardware just works better against it. B)

:DB) you colored your glasses with markers ? howd you think that up ? you got decent ventilation were you are workin :D

Looking great, fluid and smooth, now go watch Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D with those glasses :D

never seen that, Dont think I ever want to. but maby ill go see if they work on something else, like maby JAWS 3D :D . Are those the colours ? i taught it was red & blue ?