Quilted Maple Satriani

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen it mentioned so far so i thought i ask:

How many frets? I know joe usually used 22 but recently started to use 24,

and also released a signature with 24 frets.

I love the look of that quilt on that maple. :3

Not sure though how gold will fit green, i would have chosen black hardware,

but let's see how it turns out, and it can be changed anyway. :D

I just snapped to the fact that you dyed the sapele black along with the maple. So now you've sanded back the black and gone green on the maple.....what did you do with the sapele?

SR

The sapele is stained black aswel. But sanded back just like the front, The stain realy brings up the grain.

The black seems to make this cool gold flecking in the sapele more prominant also. Ill put up some piks later today.

Haven't seen it mentioned so far so i thought i ask:

How many frets? I know joe usually used 22 but recently started to use 24,

and also released a signature with 24 frets.

I love the look of that quilt on that maple. :3

Not sure though how gold will fit green, i would have chosen black hardware,

but let's see how it turns out, and it can be changed anyway. :D

22, not a big user of 24 frets so no point realy. Besides those 2 extra frets move the pickup out of the position I want for the neck.

Cant decide what to do for the fret board profile, Conical or compound radius. was thinking 12 - 16 inch radius. So 12 at the nut, about 14 aroung the 12th & 16 at the body. any opinions ? cant make up my mind here :D

OK. Some progress piks. Got the stain sorted on the front. green analine over the black. still need to clean up the edges a little but for now its OK.

DSCF1669copy.jpgDSCF1679copy.jpgDSCF1674copy.jpgDSCF1672copy.jpg

Im thinking maby Rustins for the whole body. Good strong finish with a decent UV resistance.

Got the staining done on the back aswel.

DSCF1682copy.jpgDSCF1681copy.jpg

Its prety much exactly what I was aiming for but now that I have it done I think it is to rich looking. Im gona wait a day or 2 to make up my mind, But I rekon its coming off & a cherry red is gona replace it.

Hey Paulie, I thought you were doing the blue over the black? Maybe on another guitar.

What are you thinking of replacing with cherry red, just the back or front and back?

Hey Muzz. I was thinking of blue or green for this one. Went with green becuse it looks better with the hardware.

The front is staying the color it is. Im gona redo the back in a cherry, but leave the blacked out edges to blend into it, Kinda like a burst but only on the very edges.

The analine hase gotten more vivid on the back, It looks like a big chunk of streaky belgian chocolate. Looks realy cool but just not for this guitar. I want something brighter to contrast with the front, SO a little cherry red should do that I rekon.

Its sanded back now with a light black wash over it, Cherry going on monday. Should look good with the black walnut neck.

OK. I think im gona do a conical fret board, Screw compound radius. Was messin about playin guitars with 2 necks all week (my eyes are fooked up from a stupid mistake with some cocobolo dust, so no building for the past few days) true Compound board just feels a little odd to me so I rekon a cone it has to be.

Just gotta wait for the blury vision to go, Almost sorted. :D

hate to hear about your eyes with that dust. Hope you heal soon bro. Cocobolo dust makes my skin breakout- especially my arms- around the wrists and the inner fold of the elbow joint- I get all red and pimply- itches like hell. I now wear long sleeves- even in the dead of southern US summer- when sanding or filing cocobolo. Nasty shite!!

build is looking good-

hate to hear about your eyes with that dust. Hope you heal soon bro. Cocobolo dust makes my skin breakout- especially my arms- around the wrists and the inner fold of the elbow joint- I get all red and pimply- itches like hell. I now wear long sleeves- even in the dead of southern US summer- when sanding or filing cocobolo. Nasty shite!!

build is looking good-

Tell me about it. Try rubbing it into your eyes. great fun,

anyway im getting back to normal. can start looking at the neck now. Will get some piks up later.

OK. My eyes a a lot better so back to work. Got some more done on this. Not much but progress anyway.

Got the colour sorted for the back. The cherry-black burst is woking better than the first dye job. Looks good without being overly deep & lush looking. Starting to get the first 2 coats of clear on the body to seal it all up aswell.

DSCF1703copy.jpgDSCF1702copy.jpgDSCF1706copy.jpg

Got a little done on the neck today aslo.

The truss rod chanel cut & the rod installed.

The headstock is very thin here as I am putting a quilted face on it. 2mm thick. Began the curve up to the fret board with chisels. Will finish that up with scrapers then apply the quilted facing.

DSCF1711copy.jpg

The other neck is for a strat for the chick.

Rough cut the fretboard & glued it into place. I usually go nuts & turn the thing into a Clampasarus rex, then wrap it tightly in heavy elastic bands. today was no exception. The bands keep good pressure all along the edges of the board & ensure a good joint with no gaps.

DSCF1714copy.jpgDSCF1713copy.jpg

Neck out of the clamps & elastic bands. Everything went well. needs a clean up but its fine for now. 2 in the morning. Time to call it a day I think. :D

DSCF1715copy.jpg