Mccarty Baritone

yep you heard right a 27' scale neck through prs..

i started this endeavor about a week ago now only to realize 3/4 of the way through(finished other than the top/finish/electronics)...i had no idea how to go about the carved top on a mccarty... never actually having played one so i tried it on pine first rather than destroying a beautiful piece of flamed tasmanian blackwood

my issue is that "spine"(best way i can describe it) on the top horn and shaping it, trying on a pine slab only to find every time when i come back into the "spine" from the pickup side(other side perfect) i always mess up the very tip of it(near strap button) weather im doing it by hand or with an orbital disk.... is there a special trick to this or some form of tip somebody can give me or just stick to it?

when i say "mess up" i mean it chips out only about 3-4mm worth of a chunk but we all know that destroys a beautiful top

any and all help appreciated.

if i did that bad of a job describing what i meant please be sure to say and ill have another go

27' is a loooong guitar. The first few fretw are like 18" apart :D As for making the carve, I would go with scrapers and a finger plane and go sloooww. A gooseneck scraper allows for tons of control. It will take a little while, seeing as they tend to remove fairly little wood each pass, but that ensures you don't screw up a beautiful piece of wood.

27' is a loooong guitar. The first few fretw are like 18" apart :D As for making the carve, I would go with scrapers and a finger plane and go sloooww. A gooseneck scraper allows for tons of control. It will take a little while, seeing as they tend to remove fairly little wood each pass, but that ensures you don't screw up a beautiful piece of wood.

my "by hand" attempts where with a finger plane but every time at the tip talking off maybe .5 of a mm it still chips out....ffs lol maybe im trying to get the point to fine... ill go do another attempt now with a scraper

27 is great for me i have "banana hands" and have been playing only 27-28' scale 8 strings for almost a year so going back to a normal guitar is hell....hence the starting of this project lol and playing in A# on a 25.5 is near impossible even with 65's lol

well the scale length doesnt really affect the carve anyway. I think on mine i rasped this section in on the upper bit, and scraped it out with the curved blade from a finger plane for the inside of the cutaway

My reference to it being a long guitar is the fact that 27' usually means 27 FEET, which is a long guitar. But anyway, scrapers are great if you ask me. I don't have a finger plane, but I assumed they would allow for a great deal of control. A rasp would also work well, I should think.