Neck - How Thick To Start?

Starting my first scratch built neck and had a question for those with particular experience.

The local wood shop has some bubinga and maple in 6" wide boards, perfect for the laminate neck I'm planning. If I glue these up, how many neck could I get out of it? How thick would/have/prefer to start with?

The neck shape will be a Jem/Wizard/Wizard II shape, but headless, no no need really to plan a volute or scarf. Well, for the first neck anyway. My Wizard II measures about 13/16" (minus fretboard) thick at the heel. Should I shoot for this measurement when ripping on the table saw? Could I get 3 necks out of the wood then? Should I rip one, then leave the bulk of the wood until the next project is decided/started?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Edited by ovation22

I reasonable rough-estimate for a neck blank is 3" wide by 34"-40" long. The length can/will vary with whether it's a drop-down headstock or scarfed, and 3+3 or 6IL. The width shouldn't go any narrower than 3", but can go wider if you don't want to glue width to the headstock.

The thickness is a different story altogether, and entirely depends on the headstock as well. A drop-down only needs 1" stock. A scarfed headstock needs 1" as well. A one-piece tiltback headstock needs 2"-3" thick stock.

For your board, you could get 2 necks out of it, so long as it's long enough.

Should I rip one, then leave the bulk of the wood until the next project is decided/started?

probably best... by the time you have done one you will know how much room each will take up and how to saw it the best way and be ablke to work it out with the wood you have