Understanding Series/parallel Switching

i've never used push/pull pots so I'm jsut looking for a little idiot proofing.

i found this diagram over at the wonderful http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

humbuck8.gif

as far as I understand it (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!!) using this diagram to wire a push pull means that pulling the push/pull pot out (as in pulling the knob away from the face of the guitar) would run the humbucker in series/normal mode, and pushing the pot in (the knob closer to flush with the face of the guitar) would run the humbucker in parallel/non-normal mode.

I'd rather that the default position (in) corresponded with the default wiring (series)

I therefore assume I just need to flip this diagram upside down. So the lugs that are wired to each other are the two furthest from the pot itself.

have i got that right??

Yes...as per last post...don't know dudes from the tube...

However, I just did an LP with 22 switch combination's including "global series" (turns two pickups into one huge HB...LOL)...but my favorite and I had never really explored before, is the parallel HB sound..bright like a split but slightly louder and fuller and zero noise.

Next one I do will likely have at least parallel on both pickups...I am even considering having a parallel on the neck pickup as well, it's great if they pickups you have are a little too dark or muddy from overwinding!

after fitting quite a few series/split/parallel switches i dont think there is enough tonal difference between parallel and split to matter in most situations.

It does depend on the pickup design (mismatched coils), but i now prefer to use parallel settings instead of a split to get the hum-cancelling benefits that a normal split doesnt give.

if in doubt, try both and go for the one you prefer

Yes...as per last post as said...

It does depend on the pickup design (mismatched coils), but i now prefer to use parallel settings instead of a split to get the hum-cancelling benefits that a normal split doesnt give.

You know, I never had tried it really before, the parallel thing had always got 'bad press' and I ahve always had splits...there is a bit of difference with the splits as you can effectively move the pickup position by being able to split between one coil or another further along the string, and it does make a bit of difference with combined settings, on some guitars and pickups you can get a bit of 'strat quack' in there...mine does it quite well with a split to the inner coils.

Interesting in the JP LP like design with extras that I used, my LP does parallel on the bridge, and if you pull the split on the neck as well, both are split...or you can have series and neck split...but you can't get parallel and neck split...but there is a limit and the difference are very little really.

I'll certainly be exploring this kind of thing more though...I have an HSS strat that's needing wiring and am thinking that going parallel will be a far better option than splitting for sure on the bridge HB.

In fact, I am thinking of putting a secret switch on the backplate or even inside the guitar to get my new LP's HB neck pickup to work in parallel by default. Compared to the overpowered bass heavy all slug pole pickup in it, I think it will be a much better sounding option than the series sound all the time.

It makes me wonder if a lot of these overpowered mid-rangy HM type pickups couldn't be brought to a new life just by wiring them in parallel before swapping them out. Maybe it takes a pickup like this with extra power and bass to make it as successful as mine was, but I am certainly convinced!