Finish Advice

Does anyone have advice for replicating the finish (not counting the distressing that's been done) in the video below?

I was thinking the 2 tone burst from Reranch (http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/twocolsun.html). Any suggestions? Also, I'm a little confused about the basics of this. Is that a stain? The body I have is pine and I hear that takes stain really poorly. Would this not work? If anyone has suggestions, or could clear things up for me, I'd appreciate it :D

No real advice beyond the normal stuff, it's a typical sunburst.

If you like reading, then buy 'Understanding Wood Finishes' by Bob Flexner, a book I've recommended here for many years.

Due to it's uneven pore structure, Pine can accept dye very 'splotchy', so I would recommend clear coating it and sanding back until you build up a dead flat finish, then spray an amber tinted toner coat, a few more clear coats, then the sunburst, then more clear finishes.

The clear finishes between the amber coat and the sunburst can act like 'insurance' if you blow the 'burst job, they will allow you to remove just the burst and keep the rest, you won't have to start all over from scratch again if you're careful in your sanding back.

No real advice beyond the normal stuff, it's a typical sunburst.

If you like reading, then buy 'Understanding Wood Finishes' by Bob Flexner, a book I've recommended here for many years.

Due to it's uneven pore structure, Pine can accept dye very 'splotchy', so I would recommend clear coating it and sanding back until you build up a dead flat finish, then spray an amber tinted toner coat, a few more clear coats, then the sunburst, then more clear finishes.

The clear finishes between the amber coat and the sunburst can act like 'insurance' if you blow the 'burst job, they will allow you to remove just the burst and keep the rest, you won't have to start all over from scratch again if you're careful in your sanding back.

Not forgetting the depth of shine you get from all those clear coats. I rekon Drak has it about right. Tinted clear coats of amber to start with. the stain wont blotch then.