Routing

I've fixing a guitar for a buddy of mine that had a tremolo on it but broke. I'm installing a Floyd Rose for him but it needs some routing. My dad has a router and I've already ordered the bit and template from StewMac. My question is, when routing a body that already been painted is it likely the paint could chip off in places? Are there any precautions I should take? I've worked on guitars, painted a few, and done maintenance for a good while now. I've never routed though, figure I have to start somewhere though. And also, it'll need a little routing on the headstock for the nut. Is there a template or another post talking about that. I couldn't find one. I guess knowing the guitar could help but I'm actually not sure what it is. It says Epiphone By Gibson on the headstock. Has a Strat style pickguard and two humbuckers. Never seen one like it before. Thanks.

Edited by icetrey

Call Stew-Mac before they ship your order and order the Stew-Mac video 'Tremolo Installation w/ Dan Erlewine'.

My friend, you're jumping off straight into the deep end of the pool with no lifeguard nearby.

I wouldn't even look at that guitar until you've practiced routing for a few hours on some scrap wood pieces first.

Yes, you can chip the paint, and you'll need some double-sided tape as well.

I'm scared for that guitar. :D

What you're attempting to do is not easy, especially the nut installation, nor is it for the inexperienced.

The videos will spell out very thoroughly what you need to know, watch them several times first, but simple hands-on router experience is something you CANNOT do on a real guitar, you have no business even looking at that guitar with a router in your hands until you've practiced routing for a good while on something else first.

I'm definitely gonna practice first. I have a lot of spare wood. I looked on the StewMac site and I didn't see the video on there. I'm sure it'd help a lot, I bought there's on finishing and it answered a lot of questions. Thanks.

Edited by icetrey