Bubinga Rhoads!

I got some new mahogany yesterday. Really dark colored, quartersawn, and wild grain. I just saw a Rhoads in it. So i glued it up, and threw a bubinga veneer on it. Look Familiar, Drak? Didnt think so :D

I really like it so far. It will have a 5 piece mahogany, walnut and maple neck, with ESP headstock.

BubingaRhoadsJuly2010007.jpg

BubingaRhoadsJuly2010006.jpg

BubingaRhoadsJuly2010005.jpg

BubingaRhoadsJuly2010004.jpg

BubingaRhoadsJuly2010003.jpg

BubingaRhoadsJuly2010002.jpg

Edited by killemall8

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for kill.

Me...I just didn't care that much about it.

And if I did, I think it would make it more difficult to place the 3-way toggle where I did.

I never set out to make a perfect replica of a Rhoads anyway, mine is designed the way I personally like them, it's narrower, longer, and sleeker (to me) than the standard Rhoads...I just used the basic Rhoads formula as a starting point.

It doesn't look 'that' sleek from the top because it had to be 1 3/4" to fit the Floyd...which makes it look slightly bulkier...if it were just a hardtail or something, I could have made it 1 1/2" and that would contribute to the sleek look more or less, but when you put a neck on it, the thing (to me anyway) looks totally monster, exactly what I wanted.

I figured the taper would come out as an illusion with my build because of the pins triping. I would have tapered it if I had the knowhow at the time I guess. Overall, I think its more comfey to not have something that narrows into your wrist. I like the belly carve on Drak's

I'm lovin' you're recent builds.

Why can't I edit my previous post!?! Specifically, the embarrassing typo!!

clearly as compulsive obsessive as I am!!

If you only knew the half of it...

So glad I am not the only one :D there is still one typo left, but it's not embarrassing, so let's leave it.

Got the neck mostly done. now, on to the routs. I love it when i finally finish the neck, because after that, i can do the rest pretty much in 1 day.

I hope this doesnt come out too overdone... The neck alone has 5 different woods on it. the 3 wood, 5 piece laminate neck, ziricote fretboard, and bubinga veneered headstock. This is going to be a great looking guitar to me, but some of you might think its a bit too much.

I hope this doesn't come out too overdone... The neck alone has 5 different woods on it. the 3 wood, 5 piece laminate neck, ziricote fretboard, and bubinga veneered headstock. This is going to be a great looking guitar to me, but some of you might think its a bit too much.

7 piece lam, 3 woods, fretboard with binding & purfling, faceplate & backstrap on the headstock. There's a LOT of this sort of thing going on here. I'm sure it'll be well received.

wip30.jpg

Also, don't ever apologize for your artistic choices. Do what you feel is right and be done with it.

htat is quite an intense neck John.

well, here it is. For the first time, i wish i had made the body thicker, by at least 5/32". With the bevels and a 1.5" body, it makes it look really thin. Plus, this mahogany felt REALLY heavy, so i wanted to cut weight. now it turned out about average, and im sure its going to have horrible neck dive. Screwed myself on that one.

BubingaRhoadsRouted005.jpg

BubingaRhoadsRouted004.jpg

BubingaRhoadsRouted003.jpg

BubingaRhoadsRouted002.jpg

BubingaRhoadsRouted001.jpg