Show Me Your Glue Collection

Woodenspoke

OK here is my glue collection today.

IMG_2024.jpg

Not shown 1lb hide glue in a bag.. If anyone has a hide glue pot they want to trade PM me as I lost mine in my last shop move...

I have lots of epoxy and different PVA Glues but the two red Titebond original glues are what I use for most of my guitar work.. You would think I was an epoxy master given how much I have in the picture. I also have lots of CA that I pick up in bulk. Never goes bad unless you open it. The CA is in different thicknesses, Also few Pre colored bottles of CA in black and white (hate these as the color sinks to the bottom).

I never thought I'd be so interested to gather up my glue scattered throughout the house for a photoshoot. I'll describe it:

Standard titebond in a little bottle

Some Loctite superglue (gel form)

Some Loctite superglue (not gel)

Some kind of epoxy... the cheap kind from the hardware store that sets in 10 minutes

Mystery bottle of industrial glue from a lightbulb factory that spontaneously combusts when applied to cotton... its more for show than anything

Elmers standard glue (for holding templates on a piece)

Hmm. When I go through it all, I have a lot more than the two bottles I was thinking of lol (titebond & epoxy)

HPIM1874.JPG

Ah what the hell, I'm bored. Some of the glues are also used as fillers, like that 2-part pourable epoxy in the box and the tubes of black epoxy. Its nice to have the applicator for these things too. Sometimes the crap doesn't squeeze out evenly when doing it by hand.

Foreground, in the plastic bottles are the very same West Systems epoxy you have, WS. Its used quite a lot at work in the shipwrights shop and they are generous. I also have a little bag of the 404 additive (NOT for snorting) for the epoxy, a MUST HAVE when doing our thing. As well as syringes for measuring the resin and activator, 5 to 1 respectively (And for gawds sake don't switch them! :D) You just count the pumps when measuring from the original cans.

CA glues in the foreground, Loc-tite 495 and Devcon Zip-grip. Then there are the wood glues of the "bond" family, namely Weldbond, Probond and Titebond III, :D prob'ly all out of the same vat anyway. I'm waiting for the "double-o-seven version". OK, fun over, time to put all this crap away.

Edited by Southpa

That is indeed a fierce collection of glue of which I have no comparison...

...but I'll raise you one pic of dyes, pigments, toners, shaders, and other color-related paraphernalia. :D

GUITAR-0001.jpg

And I call adding some shellac flakes

IMG_2053.jpg

Kinda weak. I am adding west systems this week.

P7150054.jpg

Why? Seems fine to me. Just drink some of that Everclear and you will not remember you dont have West Epoxy. I am discounting the Polyurethane -1 as a unsutable glue but added a +1 for the Everclear. Have you tried that in epoxy yet?

**For the unknowing Everclear is a 199 Proof grain alcohol (almost pure corn alcohol) used for working with shellac or gulped straight from the bottle when your build goes south. It is actually illegal to sell it in some US states**

P7150054.jpg

Why? Seems fine to me. Just drink some of that Everclear and you will not remember you dont have West Epoxy. I am discounting the Polyurethane -1 as a unsutable glue but added a +1 for the Everclear. Have you tried that in epoxy yet?

**For the unknowing Everclear is a 199 Proof grain alcohol (almost pure corn alcohol) used for working with shellac or gulped straight from the bottle when your build goes south. It is actually illegal to sell it in some US states**

You saw how much of the Everclear is missing right... had more than one bad build. I have a spare bottle on the other side of the shop just incase.

So grain alcohol to thin epoxy? Better than acetone?

I was using the Everclear to soften the EM6000 after it sat for a few days to prevent witness lines. Don't. The guys that are doing it are lucky not right. It is very easy to make a mess with it.

You can't -1 for the Polyurethane. It is for making benches and stands to hold my equipment not guitars. The friggin saws and sanders like to vibrate the screws loose after a couple of years so I started gluing the crap out of them while using 3" wood screws to hold them together. However I hate wasting good titebond on them so I use gorilla glue. Also works for gluing dead things to other dead things... and getting on the bottom of your shoes and tracking in the house... and ruining your clothes... and staining your fingers... why the heck do I have that stuff?

.... or gulped straight from the bottle when your build goes south.

And you'll gulp it straight ONCE (like I did), cause 190 proof is certainly where the term "fire water" came from.

Perhaps a little too legal here. Like a 20 minute run from bottling plant to the liquor store within walking distance. :D

..And I call adding some shellac flakes...

Good call, but maybe you missed my hidden ace can of Gold Powder for gold tops in the center?

:D

My eye sight is not that good. But I cant top that one. I fold. Actually you beat me fair and square as I used the earth colors as a filler, they are not good enough to use in a finish only for coloring a glue.

Now I have to put all this stuff away.

P7150054.jpg

You saw how much of the Everclear is missing right... had more than one bad build. I have a spare bottle on the other side of the shop just incase.

So grain alcohol to thin epoxy? Better than acetone?

I was using the Everclear to soften the EM6000 after it sat for a few days to prevent witness lines. Don't. The guys that are doing it are lucky not right. It is very easy to make a mess with it.

You can't -1 for the Polyurethane. It is for making benches and stands to hold my equipment not guitars. The friggin saws and sanders like to vibrate the screws loose after a couple of years so I started gluing the crap out of them while using 3" wood screws to hold them together. However I hate wasting good titebond on them so I use gorilla glue. Also works for gluing dead things to other dead things... and getting on the bottom of your shoes and tracking in the house... and ruining your clothes... and staining your fingers... why the heck do I have that stuff?

Reminds me I am almost out. LOL. Never herd of using that for the EM6000? Interesting.

OK I take back the minus one as I did show Tirebond II in my picture.... But still plus one for the Everclear..

I am sure if I tried hard I could find more stuff.

Reminds me I am almost out. LOL. Never herd of using that for the EM6000? Interesting.

Don't. It is not as helpful as it is harmful. It worked fine 10 times... then one coat it left visible residue under the clear. I had to sand 2 coats off.

OK I take back the minus one as I did show Tirebond II in my picture.... But still plus one for the Everclear..

I am sure if I tried hard I could find more stuff.

Tx.