Project S907 #2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA! I didn't have a shop when I first started building, and did most of my work in what I like to call "Japanese woodworking" style; sitting on the floor. Even now, with a shop, I find it's easiest for me to carve a neck sitting cross-legged on the floor, holding the heel with my feet, and the headstock in my belly. I've tried clamping the neck up to shape, but it doesn't feel as right to me...

HA! I didn't have a shop when I first started building, and did most of my work in what I like to call "Japanese woodworking" style; sitting on the floor. Even now, with a shop, I find it's easiest for me to carve a neck sitting cross-legged on the floor, holding the heel with my feet, and the headstock in my belly. I've tried clamping the neck up to shape, but it doesn't feel as right to me...

Um... ok. I am too old to get up after sitting down on the concrete floor. I needed the neck to be at a height so I didn't have to bend too much.

Um... ok. I am too old to get up after sitting down on the concrete floor. I needed the neck to be at a height so I didn't have to bend too much.

I could easily carve a neck whilst sitting on the floor, but then I'd have to stay there until someone came along to lift me up again :D

Maybe a donation could lift the FLOOD CONTROL.

Email Brian.I don't see why not,but I am not Admin.

Fixed. I donated. We are good.

B)

I know that headstock is just a Ibenaz headstock with the bottom missing. But man dos it have Character. the strings running over nothingness is a sweet design. It will look like a harp.

Just and Ibanez with the bottom missing??? JUST AN IBANEZ WITH THE BOTTOM MISSING?

B)

Well sh1te I never looked at it that way... thanks for ruining my moment. Killjoy.

:D

YOur just jealous you never thought to cut the bottom off anything and call it original. o_0 (I really never intended for it to look like I copied anything)

:P

I could easily carve a neck whilst sitting on the floor, but then I'd have to stay there until someone came along to lift me up again :D

Exactly...

Just and Ibanez with the bottom missing??? JUST AN IBANEZ WITH THE BOTTOM MISSING?

(I really never intended for it to look like I copied anything)

oh, I thought it was a deliberate nod to the Parker HS... (with a dash of Ibanez thrown in).

I guess it was deliberate as I wanted the strings to be suspended over space. And I wanted something that looked sleek and weighed less.

It was an attempt at something fresh with a nod to design elements I liked. Yes I like the parker headstock. Yes I own 2 Parker Flys. Yes I own several Ibanez. But seriously I just wanted something trick. Headstock design is tough. It has all been done.

I have plenty more to choose from but since these will probably end up in my stable of guitars I am using this design....

Where were we... all this vacation and I can't remember what I was working on.

Oh I remember now... time to layout the pickups, bridge, electronics. Locate the bridge first I guess. I mark the scale, set the bridge saddles at the end of their adjustment. Then get a measurement from the front of the bridge to the break point on the saddle. Since we are never going to move the saddle closer than the scale (25.5") we will set the bridge so the saddles at the foremost position are right on 25.5". Then we make sure we have it centeredt and square to the center line. Then fix the bridge with double sided tape.

P9220125.jpg

P9220126.jpg

P9220127.jpg

P9220128.jpg

Next up use a self-center contraption in the drill to drill the holes. The string holes are 9/64" and the screw holes are 7/64" and 3/4" deep. I dril lthe outside holes all the way through the guitar using the drill press. Drill 1/4" then pull the bit up then drill another 1/4" then pull it up... repeat until the bit exits the back of the guitar. This helps keep the holes straight. The inside holes are only drilled half way through the body.

P9220129.jpg

P9220131.jpg

Once done I flip the body and mark the holes on the back using the bridge and the 2 outside holes to locate it. Instead of drilling the holes all the way through I use a 9/64 brad point bit to mark the center of the holes. Then I switch to the 5/16" brad point and drill the ferrel holes .362" deep. Then I use the stew mac tuner mill bit to create the recess. Lastly you drill through with a 9/64" bit to finish up.

P9220132.jpg

P9220133.jpg

After routing the bridge pickup cavity it is time to make sure I have the heights right. The neck pickup is direct attached. The bridge I leave a little room under it for cables. Then you add a washer under the legs and direct attach it. To make sure everything is good I use a straight edge. The idea is to have the strings touching the frets with the saddle screws flush with the top of the bridge. I know doesn't sound like a lot of adjustment but it is enough.

P9220139.jpg

P9220140.jpg

P9220141.jpg

P9220142.jpg

Setting up the top for a slight carve. This is only a 1/4" top so getting a nice carve in it is impossible. What I will do is leave it with a soft carve. I put a 3/16" radius on the top at the depth of the carve. The armrest will be slightly angled. The hole thing is going to look round and soft when I get done. I also decided against doing a reveal in the horns. Just didn't feel like it is going to look good. I will make sure I leave maple in the horn cuttaways.

P9220148.jpg

P9220151.jpg

P9220152.jpg

P9220153.jpg