Project S907 #2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Padauk has got to be my fave wood. This is looking great.

Im not sure if the truss rod cover matches that well. It seems to be hiding some nice figuring and looks a little chunky compared to the rest of the headstock. Just my opinion though, and with strings on it may look very different.

Padauk has got to be my fave wood. This is looking great.

Im not sure if the truss rod cover matches that well. It seems to be hiding some nice figuring and looks a little chunky compared to the rest of the headstock. Just my opinion though, and with strings on it may look very different.

That's a fantastic looking top. I have to agree with one of the above posters, I don't like the truss rod cover that much. Too angular maybe or something.

Noted. Lets see what it looks like when I get it assembled I may have to trim it down. It covers a splice in the headstock plate and the grain under it is not notable.

I am trying Behlens this go around.

If it sucks then maybe McFaddens or Mohawk

I was always curious about people who would walk from one lacquer to the next.

There are some areas I'm very **** about, everything HAS to be 'just so', and then there are areas that I don't even question.

Lacquer is one of those areas I have never even gave a second thought, I buy from a professional finish supplier, and use what they carry (Lenmar for the vast majority of my years), once in a blue moon over 15 years they would switch to something else for a while, but I never for a second even cared.

Seriously, you people actually see a difference from one lacquer manufacturer to another?, because I never have and am curious what differences you notice.

I am trying Behlens this go around.

If it sucks then maybe McFaddens or Mohawk

I was always curious about people who would walk from one lacquer to the next.

There are some areas I'm very **** about, everything HAS to be 'just so', and then there are areas that I don't even question.

Lacquer is one of those areas I have never even gave a second thought, I buy from a professional finish supplier, and use what they carry (Lenmar for the vast majority of my years), once in a blue moon over 15 years they would switch to something else for a while, but I never for a second even cared.

Seriously, you people actually see a difference from one lacquer manufacturer to another?, because I never have and am curious what differences you notice.

No I don't think I can tell one good lacquer from another. But I haven't shot lacquer in years. So when I got back into building I have made the mistake of trying different oil finishes and the water based stuff. What I should have done from the start is buy a good gun and some good lacquer and had at it. Which is where I am now.

Good lacquer, good gun, paint booth. Now everything is fine again... who new I had the right finishing formula 25 years ago and shouldn't have tried anything different.

BTW -- The behlens is fine. It thins, mixes, shoots, and dries just like the old 3M stuff I used to use.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I bet that thing is a delight to play standing up (I'm assuming it's really light, it sure looks light). I always love your guitars though, they're just my kind of guitars style-wise. Love the padded floor too :D .

I need to weigh it officially but the only guitar I have that is lighter is my Parker Fly.

I play standing up all the time so it is great!

Padded floor is for the kid to do gymnastics on (safety first)... i was in a rush to get pics this morning :D

Man, I bet that thing is a delight to play standing up (I'm assuming it's really light, it sure looks light). I always love your guitars though, they're just my kind of guitars style-wise. Love the padded floor too :D .

I need to weigh it officially but the only guitar I have that is lighter is my Parker Fly.

Padded floor is for the kid to do gymnastics on (safety first)... i was in a rush to get pics this morning :D

Yeah, we had the same floor down when my kid was toddling. I actually miss walking on that cushy floor.

Seriously, I like the simplicity of the bridge and volume, I love the body and headstock shape, I love the magnets under the truss rod cover, I love the countersunk straplocks, it's giving me ideas and inspiration for a future build.

Padded floor is for the kid to do gymnastics on (safety first)... i was in a rush to get pics this morning B)

Yeah, we had the same floor down when my kid was toddling. I actually miss walking on that cushy floor.

Seriously, I like the simplicity of the bridge and volume, I love the body and headstock shape, I love the magnets under the truss rod cover, I love the countersunk straplocks, it's giving me ideas and inspiration for a future build.

Thanks. I am such a minimalist. :D I hate cluttery fancy overly ornate things.

You know one of those Stephens extended cutaway 5-bolt neck joint would work on a really thin body... hmmm.

You know one of those Stephens extended cutaway 5-bolt neck joint would work on a really thin body... hmmm.

if you need a cad drawing or dims let me know. Oh, and I think the truss cover sits well now its assembled. Maybe still a bit too large for my liking, but it looks cool.

• 6 months later...

Congrats on the GOTM win Brett.

Have you and HiTone worked out a schedule for sharing the trophy yet?

Seriously, both were very well done.

SR

Thank you Sir.

Since I have had the pleasure/priviledge of the Trophy before it is only fair HiTone have the trophy for this one.