Fret Press

So I want to buy a fret press

STEWMAC.COM : Fret Arbor Press System

But I'm not going to pay stewmac prices plus shipping plus boarder fees for it; I will be buying their fret press inserts though.

I don't know where to buy an arbor press, so I was hoping that someone knows where to get one. I live in London Ontario if that helps.

Oh ya, and how much pressure should I be looking for?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=472327:date=Aug 29 2010, 07:30 PM:name=plinky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (plinky @ Aug 29 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Harbor Freight tools also sells a 1-ton arbor press for under $50.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FWIW, I've seen that one in the HB store for $32US on sale.

I bought the Harbor Freight 1 ton Arbor press, Drilled the hole for the Stew Mac Fret press caul holder in the ram, you really have to use a drill press for this because you need to make sure that the hole you drill into the end of the arbor is parallel to the sides so the set-up on the drill press takes some time. (clamp everything securely) I also drilled into the face of the ram and tapped it for a 1/4 - 20 set screw to hold the caul holder from falling out or twisting. I have a really stuffed shop wit no room to work efficiently and the whole job took about 2 hours. I'm sure a more organized person could do it in an hour or less. The whole set-up works great.

<!--quoteo(post=472327:date=Aug 29 2010, 07:30 PM:name=plinky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (plinky @ Aug 29 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Harbor Freight tools also sells a 1-ton arbor press for under $50.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bought the Harbor Freight 1 ton Arbor press, Drilled the hole for the Stew Mac Fret press caul holder in the ram, you really have to use a drill press for this because you need to make sure that the hole you drill into the end of the arbor is parallel to the sides so the set-up on the drill press takes some time. (clamp everything securely) I also drilled into the face of the ram and tapped it for a 1/4 - 20 set screw to hold the caul holder from falling out or twisting. I have a really stuffed shop wit no room to work efficiently and the whole job took about 2 hours. I'm sure a more organized person could do it in an hour or less. The whole set-up works great.

Could you perhaps post a picture of what you did? I've been wanting to this for quite some time. A couple things I was worried about of course was drilling a completely centered hole and I wasn't sure how to not have it fall out. Also, the base where the neck would rest while pressing the frets is pretty blunt with sharp edges, did you modify it so that your neck can fit snugly so that it won't dent?

Thanks! I'd love to see this

• 2 weeks later...

Could you perhaps post a picture of what you did? I've been wanting to this for quite some time. A couple things I was worried about of course was drilling a completely centered hole and I wasn't sure how to not have it fall out. Also, the base where the neck would rest while pressing the frets is pretty blunt with sharp edges, did you modify it so that your neck can fit snugly so that it won't dent?

Thanks! I'd love to see this

I don't have Picts. But it looks exactly like the Stew Mac version. I just completely copied their version. I also was worried that the center hole in the ram be correct, that's why I used my drill press. I put the Platen of the press parallel to a chucked steel rod, I laid the platen right up against the rod and then tightened all the adjustment bolts well. Then I clamped the ram from the press to the platen while using an adjustable parallel block to center the chucked drill bit on the end of the ram. Then I drilled in about 2 inches and was done with that operation. Next measure where the indent on the shaft of the caul holder is and transfer that measurement to the ram, this is so you drill the set screw on the ram in the correct spot. I don't remember the hole size for the main ram end hole, I just measured the ram's diameter. I bought at Home Depot a packaged set of drill bit and 1/4-20 tap so I knew the ram set screw hole I was going to drill would be the right size. I drilled the hole in the face of the ram centered on the main hole I drilled in the end of the ram and at the point where it would intersect with the notch in the caul holder properly and drilled that. Then I tapped the hole and bought a set screw at Harbor Freight around the block. I then reassembled the arbor and it was a win win situation. To deal with the bottom of the arbor base being all metal you need to make a wooden U shaped block. You could mold something out of that friendly plastic Stew Mac sells, but I would choose the stuff that Dentists use to make a mold of your mouth when you need dentures. I have some I've never used so that's still experimental and unproven as of yet. So that's how I converted my Harbor Freight Arbor press, it even looks good!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It definitely took me less time than that to drill and tap the post. But it probably took me 2 or 3 hours to clean all of the packing grease off of the thing. Last thing I wanted was a stray gob to get on my work and give me finishing problems. I ordered set screws from McMaster-Carr that have a soft tip so that I an apply enough pressure to keep the caul post in place, but not mar up and tear up the post.