Joe Bochar Guitars

I was paging through the build/assembly pics on Joe Bochar's webstite to understand what was revolutionary about the neck pocket. I was puzzled by the truss rod access hole. I don't have that many builds under my belt or maybe this would be more self-evident to me. How do they cut this access channel? I just don't get it. Kind of looks like a drill bit got them down to the depth. How did they drill through to the truss channel? I am sure it is simple, but I'm not seeing it.

http://www.jbguitars.com/mm.html

I was paging through the build/assembly pics on Joe Bochar's webstite to understand what was revolutionary about the neck pocket. I was puzzled by the truss rod access hole. I don't have that many builds under my belt or maybe this would be more self-evident to me. How do they cut this access channel? I just don't get it. Kind of looks like a drill bit got them down to the depth. How did they drill through to the truss channel? I am sure it is simple, but I'm not seeing it.

http://www.jbguitars.com/mm.html

He probably uses a jig with a long drill bit from the front. The guys on the tele forums have been doing it for years...

I love the "Break Through Technology" in the neck pocket. It is a freaking bolt-on with a couple of grooves in it or maybe a trapezoid ... give me a break. (Heck our very own Avenger has attempted more innovative neck pockets). I got news for you buddy its been done at some point.

I have a book by Siminoff I bought in 1986 that uses the same neck bolt trick.

Those "internal" neck things look like they take away a lot of wood though. Inserts are one thing but those cavities are bigger than the bolt by a good bit. tight neck join or no, the neck has 4 big hollow voids in it. * ooooh maybe those a voodoo filled tone chambers....... *

Nice one...

SO that guy wastes more wood in one guitar than I do in three. I could manage three necks from the neck blank he made...