Affordable 7-string Floyd?

This is really thing I want to have clarified one time.

I was always convinced that Floyd Rose invented the Tremolo and sells licenses to make the unit to different companies like Schaller, Ibanez, etc.

But there are always people talking about original Floyds. Does Floyd Rose have a own company? I often see the Schaller Tremolos reffered to as original Floyds.

this is what i think happened, please feel free to correct me though, i'm not a historian.......

floyd rose invented the bridge and pateneted it for 10 years, during which kramer had exclusive rights to put it on their guitars, then after 10 years he liscenced the design out, then he eventually sold the patent or the company to schaller, so i think the schallers and floyds are still made seperately in different factories under different names, but owned by the same big company, kinda like how fender owns jackson, but they're still 2 completely different lines of guitars. Scott might know a bit more about this, i'm not sure, i'll have to make some phone calls tomorow cause now i'm a little curious too.

*EDIT* :D 8 years B) lol close enough,