Masking Binding For Opaque Finish

I'm refinishing my old LP copy - literally "customizing" it with multiply binding, opaque black finish, rectangular inlays, etc.

my question is this, before I spray my color coat(s):

masking off the binding seems easy enough on the edge of the guitar, but it seem like it will be difficult to follow the curves correctly on the top of the guitar.

Do i just need to go slow and be careful, or is there some way I can spray away and then scrap the color coat off the binding?

i'm using stewmac water-base and I've sprayed my sanding sealer coats, so ready now to do a color coat or two.

There is an old trick with binding, and that is to leave it a couple of thousandths above the surface of the guitar so you can scrape away finish and leave a nice smooth surface. If not, you must take your time and carefully tape it off. Good luck with it.

I'm glad this topic came up because it is one I just ran into a little trouble with. I had a bound neck that is painted, heavily. Primer was not a big deal and I feather that out easily. Then I did a marble paint job with candy over it. Between the sealer, the black base, the marbelizer, and 5 coats of candy that left a pretty thick tape line. I couldn't scrape it back because to feather that heavy of a line down I would get back down into the light colored sealer coat and it would show through. I can bury some of the line in the clear coat and feather it, but the tape line is still visible if I don't feather it out. Any tips?

The other one that is even worse was the binding on the headstock. Once painted I couldn't see it so scraping back doesn't work so well, and I still had a pretty heavy thickness of paint. Taping works, but I still had a heavy tape line. The main problem comes from the heavy build of the candy coats.

situations such as these are when you do double tape work, to even out the tape line with clear, it's a pain, but sometimes you have to tape off everything else and just shoot some clear over the binding to get it close to level with the paint, then block sand it all out, and shoot your finish coats.