Does Wood Really Make A Difference In Tone? Or Tw1

Musiclogic.... we really don't care about this conversation because we've all had it about 50 times this year already. Do a look through this section and you're sure to come up with a thread without trying hard at all.

Now back to the argument.

I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to go on arguing unless you've payed.

But that wasn't a full 5 minute argument just now!

Comment removed, and apologies to anyone I offended. Sometimes the mouth overrules the brain.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that no disrespect was intended Musiclogic, so I apologise if any was perceived by yourself. Despite it being a respectable core aim of the field - exploring, refining and crafting how our instruments sound - the discussion is very easily drawn down to a lower level or worse with nothing other than contradictory comments and opinion! I think my sense of humour in this is apparent...oops...

This is most likely due to PG catering for one of the broadest skill ranges of luthiers on the net, so experts (I don't include myself in that bracket) mix with beginners and all people in between, hence discussions tending to lead themselves with input from various points within those degrees. TB may well have a more specific "high-end" of experienced tone chasers (a lot of TB users are members here also) because of the target audience, whereas PG is far broader. Also, it is natural that the lofty heights of voodoo are commonly viewed as chasing ghosts and shadows. They may mean a lot to the people who commonly attempt to achieve or re-create certain "things" (such as Preeb's exemplary thread on TDPRI) but in a mixed and broad environment like PG, getting the big 99% of build quality, core tone, etc. down carries more gravitas than the last 1%. In my view anyway. The ground differs, that's all. :D

Oh, yeah, search function...I must have completely missed that....Please. I only posted what I did because of reading the previous threads, and the amount of misinformation put into them by "forum regulars" such as yourself. I apologize to anyone for their lack of developed resonance that has in anyway been decreased by my input. Some people actually use the search and READ!

.......and being a condescending pr1ck about it isn't going to endear you to anyone either. Push people away and nobody is going to want to help you when you actually have an issue.

I'm sure that no disrespect was intended Musiclogic, so I apologise if any was perceived by yourself. Despite it being a respectable core aim of the field - exploring, refining and crafting how our instruments sound - the discussion is very easily drawn down to a lower level or worse with nothing other than contradictory comments and opinion! I think my sense of humour in this is apparent...oops...

This is most likely due to PG catering for one of the broadest skill ranges of luthiers on the net, so experts (I don't include myself in that bracket) mix with beginners and all people in between, hence discussions tending to lead themselves with input from various points within those degrees. TB may well have a more specific "high-end" of experienced tone chasers (a lot of TB users are members here also) because of the target audience, whereas PG is far broader. Also, it is natural that the lofty heights of voodoo are commonly viewed as chasing ghosts and shadows. They may mean a lot to the people who commonly attempt to achieve or re-create certain "things" (such as Preeb's exemplary thread on TDPRI) but in a mixed and broad environment like PG, getting the big 99% of build quality, core tone, etc. down carries more gravitas than the last 1%. In my view anyway. The ground differs, that's all. :D

+1 I am finally working on the last 1% some 20 years later.

Musiclogic - I apologize if you took my ribbing the wrong way. Lets not let one thread sour any opinions. We need some more solid information on this site.

I myself like to learn. I have been doing this for 25 years and still learn something every build. We just don't have the serious scientific discussions very much. Most of our time is spent helping new builders get up to speed and giving some opinions. In the end like following the build process of guitars.

We also very much enjoy a chance for a Python sketch.

:D

Musiclogic - don't take it to heart. Everyone here is somewhat of a prick on their day.

Maybe we should have a separate section for noob questions - then anyone going in to post their obvious question would see how many times it has already been asked.

There should also be some sort of disclaimer with a list of question liable to start flame wars.

One other thing, Musiclogic: welcome. Enjoy. It's worth getting past this introduction, I promise you.

And if you want to endear yourself to fellow PGers, I suggest asking some insightful questions about sustainers.

It usually helps to understand who you're talking to, this is JC's (Musiclogic) 'Bio'.

It appears to me he won't be in need of any of our help in the near future, John. :D

I didn't see much in the way of a sense of humor in there anywhere either...

My world is mine, I don't follow trends, I don't succumb to public opinion, I look to no one for opinion, I am me.

Take me as I am, and expect nothing usual.

I am a luthier of 26 years, I own 3 companies, all dealing with custom instruments.

I have a 550 sq. ft. shop I added to my house after my storefront was burned down by another tennant in the stripmall.

I have a 75 sq.ft. spray booth, and a good deal of machines and tools.

I mill and work all of my wood, rarely using any dimensional pre cut lumber.

I build about 5 to 1 solid bodied basses to guitars, and generally build Neck Through and Set Neck, bolt ons are rare out of my shop.

All of my designs are original, I rarely do any clone work.

I also build Viols(violin to double Bass), Dulcimers, Mandolins, Lutes, Acoustic and semi Acoustics, Chambered solidbodies, Speaker Cabinets, and furniture as I have time.

Solid Bodies are my main business, along with wood parts.

I do Repairs and Mods in shop, and send no work out. This is who I am.

I am a very complex person, beyond that which some would consider complex.

I Think, this being an attribute lost to most in todays society.

I have a knack for being very adept at everything I do. I have an extensive education, yet I drive a truck nationally for a living. I build custom guitars, and own a small custom shop with a very loyal clientel.

I am a golf and hockey addict. I read as much as I possibly can(time permitting). I do not play video games, or computer games.

I rarely watch TV, and when I do, it's A&E, History, Discovery, NatGeo, ESPN, or C-span sometimes.

If it stimulates the mind, I am usually interested.

I do not claim to be the most knowledgeable person, but I am very well educated, and have lead an extremely full life.

I have traveled extensively, and have a great deal of common sense.

Just a small peek into the window of my being....anything more could leave you more perplexed than whence you first began.

Actually if you could comprehend what is said in my bio, You would not think of it as saying I love myself, but rather, I am extremely self aware, and make no excuses for who I am. Most do not have this personally and cannot understand it of others.

I truly appreciate the perspective and work of others, and join forums like this to gain understanding of how others work, as this helps me to become more efficient. If you cannot learn everyday from experience and the abilities of others, you are unable to grow as a professional or as a person.

As for a God complex....What complex? :D

It's a madrose rosette with abalone purfling on the inside and outside, fully purfled in b/w/b as well in bearclaw euro spruce. It's going on the jumbo twins I'm building with Mattia. I just haven't cut out the center yet.

As for Musiclogic, "Actually if you could comprehend what is said in my bio, You would not think of it as saying I love myself, but rather, I am extremely self aware, and make no excuses for who I am. Most do not have this personally and cannot understand it of others."

OR if you do not have the twisted internal logic of self-love, you could NOT see it as that. Hahaha, all frame of reference. You view yourself as extremely self aware because you love yourself and that's what you would like to be. But for those that don't harbor a love for you, we just see you as having a complex.

If you are so self aware, how come you didn't see the fallacious reasoning in your argument? Ex: 'I am highly self aware because I have a certain personality. Those that don't have that personality can't comprehend that. Because they don't have this personality and can't comprehend then they can't say I'm NOT self aware, ya know, since they don't comprehend it.' Which basically boils down to, 'If you think like me and think I'm highly self-aware, then you are correct. If you don't think like me, there's no way you can be correct.' I like it :D

Chris

So yes..to boil it down...wood does make a difference in tone..and ML loves himself..mystery solved..

I love myself too,but I wish I was more capable of fully understanding myself so that I could love myself more,because self love is awesome,and promotes great inner strength...

It's a madrose rosette with abalone purfling on the inside and outside, fully purfled in b/w/b as well in bearclaw euro spruce. It's going on the jumbo twins I'm building with Mattia. I just haven't cut out the center yet.

As for Musiclogic, "Actually if you could comprehend what is said in my bio, You would not think of it as saying I love myself, but rather, I am extremely self aware, and make no excuses for who I am. Most do not have this personally and cannot understand it of others."

OR if you do not have the twisted internal logic of self-love, you could NOT see it as that. Hahaha, all frame of reference. You view yourself as extremely self aware because you love yourself and that's what you would like to be. But for those that don't harbor a love for you, we just see you as having a complex.

If you are so self aware, how come you didn't see the fallacious reasoning in your argument? Ex: 'I am highly self aware because I have a certain personality. Those that don't have that personality can't comprehend that. Because they don't have this personality and can't comprehend then they can't say I'm NOT self aware, ya know, since they don't comprehend it.' Which basically boils down to, 'If you think like me and think I'm highly self-aware, then you are correct. If you don't think like me, there's no way you can be correct.' I like it :D

Chris

I am guessing you present everything in circular antagonism to purvey a sense of greater esteem without actual personality. You wish to be MP yet somehow end up as the kids in the hall. Must be depressing for you. BTW, I am also guessing that the forum rules stating no flaming are only applicable to those non featured members, and the actions stated in the forum rules are also falacious. I appreciate this point of insight also.