A few questions!

Hi everyone, yet another new member, well iv’e actually been lurking for a few days now. Anyway, thought Id make the most of it and ask a few questions! :D Here goes, I plan to build a Randy Rhoads style guitar in the summer a few months off here yet (uk) with a Floyd Rose. I’ve drawn my plans with the help of Hiscock’s building guitar book but does anyone know what the string and saddle height is of a recessed and non recessed Floyd bridge is from the body? As I have not yet worked out if I need any neck angle. I plan to have a 24 fret neck can anyone help me on the size of a truss rod? I’ve read along the lines of 18” is suitable,is it possible to epoxy the end into place (a stupid question there I think but I don’t know!) Also, is there a cheaper alternative to a fret file and fret cutting nippers? Also has anyone any experience of improvising using clamps, as I don’t want to buy lots of clamps I was thinking two bits of threaded rod and two bits of something in between!

I’ve seen some other members on this forum are also building a RR style guitar such as Custom Curtis, and rhoads 56’s,whos inlays look very impressive, on the plan for custom rhoads thread. I saw the plans for the rhoads style guitar are in dxf format I cant open this file I’ve downloaded Microsoft inviso? But this wont open the file, can anyone suggest something that will open the file?

Anyway thanks for any help, and hello to everyone, im sure I’ll have lots more questions because of only a limited experience in building, one r/c plane to be precise!, but as uni gets in the way I’ll have to wait a few months to start my project!

I saw the plans for the rhoads style guitar are in dxf format I cant open this file I’ve downloaded Microsoft inviso? But this wont open the file, can anyone suggest something that will open the file?

The program to open these files is actually on the same website as the file...

here Ive got the voloview express one - works great :D

I’ve seen some other members on this forum are also building a RR style guitar such as Custom Curtis, and rhoads 56’s,whos inlays look very impressive, on the plan for custom rhoads thread. I saw the plans for the rhoads style guitar are in dxf format I cant open this file I’ve downloaded Microsoft inviso? But this wont open the file, can anyone suggest something that will open the file?

download Volo View Express from this link, it will work nicely.

cad download

Mike

Hey, so many of us are new! Hi by the way. Im pretty new myself. I got a randy on my list of things to build as well, but mine will be neck thru with strings through body (the one Kirk Hammet had back in Ride The Lightning days).

Mr Ormsby used home made clamps on his PRS ish guitar from last month. Im sure youll find his address on the site if you look. He used threaded bars with lumps of wood and a cushion of cork between the two clamping faces. He seems to have done well. Im told bags of sand are good as well, but have never tried them.

Looking forward to the finished article.

It's gonna be a glued/set neck at the moment, I dont like the idea of having to glue wings to the neck it'self, one more thing to go wrong for a first attempt!!

I heard Hammett liked his gibson v's so much he got esp to make him some, I agree cool guitars! Thanks Digideus, know I know it's not a mad idea to improvise a bit with clamps and stuff I knew it was plausible!

did some calculating and measuring on my fr404. seems the neck-angle with a non-recessed OFR should be slightly less than 2 degrees. does that seem correct to you guys? at least that's the string angle when I raise the trem to a position slightly above the face of the guitar... :D

Mr Ormsby used home made clamps on his PRS ish guitar from last month. Im sure youll find his address on the site if you look. He used threaded bars with lumps of wood and a cushion of cork between the two clamping faces.

I believe you're talking about home-made -spool- clamps. If you build acoustics or archtops, they're a must-have by the truckload, and they're easy to make yourself.

They're generally not too necessary for most solid-bodies tho.

About the angle, I don't measure mine in degrees, I've got my own way of doing it, but I know for me it's less than 1/2 of what I need for a TOM, it's usually a very slight pitch.