Site upgrade hiccups - post editor disabled....working on a fix.... ×
Post editor fixed ×

Anyone Here Speak Italian?

MuffinPunch

Im doing my Senior Thesis at school this term and its a design for a side by side AWD (4 wheels) Dualsport track vehicle for Aprilia. (Italian motorcycle brand for those who dont know) Its kind of an on-road/off-road answer the KTM X-Bow using a performance inspired hybrid powertrain (1000cc motorcycle mid/rear engine in the rear coupled with an electric motor up front).

Im trying to come up with a kick-@$$ Italian name for the project that doesnt sound like I came up with an English word or phrase and used an online translator to make it into Italian. I speak Spanish so I have a very rough understanding of Italian grammar and vocabulary, but figures of speach and unique connotations to certain words including slang is completely beyond me. If anyone can help me out here Id really appreciate it. Im looking for something that conveys the essence or basic meaning of DualTrack, or MultiTrack, or DualRace, etc. Initially I wanted to call it TrackBender, but it wasnt Italian enough and apparently "Bender has some kind of derogatory connotation in the UK (is this true?). I need something that focuses on the track racing part of the concept while encompassing the dual nature of the product. Any and all suggestions are welcome, but please include the English equivalent or rough translation (and you better not screw with me! lol) SO I know what its supposed to infer. Thanks in advance.

2010-Aprilia-RSV4-R-white-1.jpgktm-x-bow.jpg

Bender has some kind of derogatory connotation in the UK (is this true?).

Very true.

Bent, of which bender is a variant, has two distinct meanings. The older meaning is corrupt - a policeman who takes bribes is a bent copper. Or the phrase "as bent as a nine bob note" - which is the exact equivalent as "queer as a $3 bill".

The newer meaning is synonymous with fa***t in the US - purely derogatory, and has never been reclaimed by the gay community in the same way that gay and queer have been.

Bender has some kind of derogatory connotation in the UK (is this true?).

Very true.

Bent, of which bender is a variant, has two distinct meanings. The older meaning is corrupt - a policeman who takes bribes is a bent copper. Or the phrase "as bent as a nine bob note" - which is the exact equivalent as "queer as a $3 bill".

The newer meaning is synonymous with fa***t in the US - purely derogatory, and has never been reclaimed by the gay community in the same way that gay and queer have been.

Thats good to know. Woulndt make much sense to make a gay vehicle that offended people!

I have actually decided to change the brand to Polaris, the company I interned with in the spring. Ill be working closely with the design team there plus it opens up a lot of possibilities for further development of this project in the future if all goes well! So the Italian thing is obviously out of the picture. Im now thinking something along the lines of "KrossKombat" or "Dualist" (playing off the dual sport aspect and armed 1 on 1 combat), but my favorite so far is "DuelTrak" (playing off the same theme as dualist). If anyone has other suggestions im all ears!

Archived