Build #5

I had some scrap pieces of mahogany and wenge left from previous builds. Wanted to have a go at laminating a neck blank... I also visited Chicago during the summer to visit relatives. Damn, everything is cheap over there! Bought a Fernandes Sustainer and a DiMarzio AT-1 humbucker.

DSCF5410-1.jpg

So what do you think I'm going to build with this?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Build an AT100 clone? ;D

Nope.

Hopefully something as original as your previous builds. You have an eye for style and I'd personally hate to see you do something one of us might be able to guess.

Chris

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you this time. It's an established shape but with different cosmetics and hardware compared to the original.

Here's a pic of (almost) all of the parts:

DSCF5495-1-1.jpg

This is what you see:

Mahogany/wenge neck blank as previously shown, now scarfjointed and with ears glued to the headstock

Mahogany body blank

Ebony fretboard with my star dot logo that I've used on previous builds

Ebony headplate

White plastic binding

StewMac Hot Rod trussrod

Black Floyd Rose

DiMarzio AT-1 humbucker

Fernandes FSK-101 Sustainer

3-way LP-style pickup switch

Volume and tone pots

Not shown is a set of black Sperzel Sound-Lok tuners

Haven't decided on knobs yet, have a set of ebony knobs lying around. Gonna buy a set of black strap locks too.

Hiya Pukko

I'm not a fan of the old school V's but this looks like it will be one fine instrument.

I can't be the only one wondering... what does the 'F Spaced' sticker on the pup case mean?

Lookin forward to more on this one.

Cheers

Buter

ps - forgot to say, diggin the inlay!

And here's a pic of what it's going to be:

Always wanted a V...

Awesome!!!! Awesome!!! That reminds me I need to finish my V.

Hiya Pukko

I'm not a fan of the old school V's but this looks like it will be one fine instrument.

I can't be the only one wondering... what does the 'F Spaced' sticker on the pup case mean?

Cheers

Buter

F - Spaced (Floyd Spacing) means 53mm pole spacing

Some Vintage HBs come 49.5 mm

A lot of the cheap Asian models are 52mm (like ESP LTDs)

And F spaced means 53mm and usually a 50mm neck pickup

Hiya Pukko

Cheers

Buter

Thanks! It will be a little more modern looking than an original V but the shape is about the same as an old one.

Honestly, I was hoping for something less "normal" from you than a V. Of course, that won't stop you from continuing to inspire me to better things.

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed with myself for going with such a known shape but when your head gets stuck in a certain direction you have to follow it...

Awesome!!!! Awesome!!! That reminds me I need to finish my V.

Cool! Is there a thread for it?

-Wenge V-

Wow that is awesome binding work. The ebony headplate makes a V

Thanks! Wow, that's a cool V! Get it done so we can see it completed! But as verhoevenc said: I don't envy you working with all that wenge, I've made a neck out of it and that's enough work...

Snyggt! How thick is that binding?

Tackar! Eller kiitos kanske? The binding is 1.5 mm thick. 1/16" or something like that in inches I think.

I just put the AT-1 in my Washburn N4 and I really like it, especially the clean sound. Very nicely balanced and articulate. Wish you good luck with the build.

Thanks! Interesting that you put it in an N4 since I've also considered buying a L-500XL which was in it originally right? How do they compare?

I had an L-500L (Bill Lawrence USA) in it, which was too trebly and harsh for my taste. Seemed to be aggressive at the expense of personality if that makes any sense. The AT-1 is better balanced and has a nice vocal quality going through overdrive. Still a pretty loud pickup though. Clean, it's just more well-rounded and interesting imo.

I had an L-500L (Bill Lawrence USA) in it, which was too trebly and harsh for my taste. Seemed to be aggressive at the expense of personality if that makes any sense. The AT-1 is better balanced and has a nice vocal quality going through overdrive. Still a pretty loud pickup though. Clean, it's just more well-rounded and interesting imo.

Ok, thanks for the comparison! Trebly and harsh sounds like something I don't want.

Fantastic! The contrast of the binding and the Wenge is a real winner. Your planning and execution from previous build should make this a great instrument to watch develop.

Thanks! Planning? You mean standing around, scratching my beard, thinking whattahelldoidonow? I do that a lot...

OOOooOOOOhhh...A V...I love those.

I think I am going to like this one.I have blueprints for a Gibson V on my wall trying to inspire me to get off my ass and build one.

Do it! You know you want to...

That's what beards are for.

Yep. That and catching cornflakes at breakfast so I have something to eat on the way to work.

I had an L-500L (Bill Lawrence USA) in it, which was too trebly and harsh for my taste.

+ 1

Ive replaced 2 or 3 L500's after giving them a fair shot, for pretty much the exact same reasons as IPA.

Thanks, good to know!

I have a XL 500L in my Gibson V in the bridge position, works well with the warmth of the mahogany body and neck. The stock pickup was far too muddy for my tastes, the high end balanced the sound nicely.

Interesting with a different opinion, especially since that's what I'm building. A couple of important differences compared to a Gibson V though: The scale length on my build is 25.5", there's an ebony fretboard and some wenge in the neck. These might all contribute to a brighter sounding guitar I suppose... And the Floyd might take away some bottom end from it too. I've bought a Tom Anderson HN2+ humbucker too, I'll just have to wait until the guitar is built and try some different pickups in it.