Build #5

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>Prostheta

Acorn? That grows on oaks?

Yep. That's them.

Seeing the inlay in place confirms to me that the location was in fact the best one, I agree. I like the complimentary way the straight sides of the trussrod cover binding and the curves of the headstock binding as it meets the neck reminds me of the lower part of the flame. Very very well tied together.

>>SwedishLuthier

I'll have to try that some time when I have access to a power drill with a stand. Thanks for the tip!

Just PM me and come by my tiny workshop. You are just 20 minutes away IIRC (your in Uppsala, arn't you)

StaroBrno! Great beer, had a few last night.

Beer trivia: Staropramen = "Old Prague" so Starobrno = "Old Brno" and Zlatopramen (if I’m not mistaken) = "Hi there Prague" (or something similar)

You´re almost all.. wrong :D

Staropramen means something like old strand, Starobrno is really Old Brno (Brno - city) and Zlatopramen is something like Golden strand :D

Anyway, all of them are great, but my no1 is Branik. Buy some if you can B)

But I'm almost sure that the old town of Prague was labeled "Staropramen" on the map last time I was a tourist in Prague... Anyway I surely trust your czech to be much better than mine B)

Oh, back to guitars...or beer...or both

But I'm almost sure that the old town of Prague was labeled "Staropramen" on the map last time I was a tourist in Prague... Anyway I surely trust your czech to be much better than mine :D

Oh, back to guitars...or beer...or both

Well I must say that I´m not familiar with history of Prague, but czech and slovak language are almost the same. Anyway Staropramen means also what I wrote :D Let´s have some B)

Routed the neck pocket today:

DSCF5675.jpg

DSCF5691.jpg

And of course the “look mommy, no glue” shot:

DSCF5710.jpg

And no, there’s not a gap in the neck pocket. Just my kitchen lamp making weird shadows...

>>Unrealize

Thanks!

>>supplebanana

Hadn’t thought of that... That would be cool! I’ll just have to find some really small magnets though, they’ll have to be really thin to fit the cover.

>>Prostheta

Thanks! It pisses me off a bit though that the ebony piece I had left wasn’t wide enough to make the cover as wide as the neck. It would have looked really cool if the binding on the cover would start at the same point as the binding on the headstock...

>>SwedishLuthier

Thanks for the offer! I’ll keep that in mind!

• 5 weeks later...

I have had my mind set on having the top coloured black all the way from the beginning of the build but I'm kind of getting to like the look of mahogany...

Anyway, I've toyed with the idea of "carving" some kind of pattern into the top, probably with the trusty old Dremel. Here's one example:

DSCF5808a.jpg

One option would be to colour the top completely black as I first thought to give a kind of subtle embossed look. Another option would be to fill the grooves with some kind of light coloured epoxy, colour the background black and maybe staining the dragon some other colour. Might look a bit tacky if done wrong... Whaddya think?

Gorgeous build!

My advice on the dragon is to not have it at all. You have such a nice combination of woods, and the inlay work is so minimal (which i like) that you would just be taking away from the beauty of the guitar by adding such a large piece to it.

If it were my build (and I hope to be half as good as you on my 5th build) I would put some kind of ebony wood pickguard on it and just spray it natural.

I just realized I don't have any idea what your original plan for the finish was...I can't seem to find where you mention it.

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of templates for a 67 V...if I wait to make my own I will never get to it and all of the wood is just sitting there waiting.I just can't look at your V anymore and not make one.I blame you. :D

>>darkshadow54321

Thanks! Do you mean a silver outline or the whole dragon?

>>jessejames

Thanks a lot! I’m not going to put a pickguard on it but that sounded kind of cool, maybe with white binding like on the truss rod cover…

>>WAK Guitars

Thanks!

>MexicanBreed

I’m keeping the back natural to match with the neck. All hardware will be black since I already bought all of it. Pickups will be black though…

>Unrealize

Thanks!

>>Reinhold

Even if it was all black?

>DC Ross

Thanks!

>>westhemann

Hehe, there is no real plan except that I was thinking of having the top black and the back natural… So get going on the V dammit! I want to see it! My “templates” were done this way: I had a drawing of a V, opened it in Photoshop, scaled it up to where it was the right size on the actual screen (measuring with a ruler on the screen… hitech!), put paper on the screen and copied it with a pencil. Then I taped the pieces of paper together. After that I made a full scale guitar on paper to put measurements on. When the pieces of wood were ready I transferred the drawing to the wood by using carbon paper.

>>davtheknave

Yeah, that could look cool. Maybe make the carving a bit darker.

My vote is no dragon, especially if you are doing something in a translucent. Graphics and wood grain are 99% of the time just plain Yuck together...

If you must do the dragon then I'd do solid colors especially with the tattoo style graphic that you've got going on there. That's a good lookin' V you have going on... don't jack it up last minute. I went back and looked at your other builds.... you do clean work so I'm sure what ever you do will look nice.

Edited by 3DogNate

Or perhaps subtlety is the key to satisfying all ideas. How about a black on black finish, a la the "Black" album? Obviously, if you're clearing then it won't happen :-\ Perhaps masking the rest of the guitar off, and dusting the dragon with a light black pearl?

I actually think that the organic browns of the Wenge would be compromised by a black body....a black headstock face would tie it up....would a black body/Wenge-veneered pickguard be a completely obtuse suggestion?

Or maybe a trans black clear over pyrographed wood to maintain cohesion with the organic aspects of the neck? Shame pyrography would mess with the existing binding :-\

Work like this would look wicked under a tobacco/black trans clear:

il_430xN.12894346.jpg

Edited by Prostheta