Wilkinson Ez-lok Tuners

Hi,

I am building a strat neck and am considering using the "wilkinson ez-lok tuners 6 inline"

Has anybody here used them or have a comment on them.

I am open to suggested options on what else to use.

Thanks

Greg

they aer not really locking tuners, just have an extra hole in the shaft so they are more secure when strung a certain way. Personally i find them fiddly, they do get easier when you are used to them but most of the time i end up using them just as normal tuners

Hate 'em. They are worse when it comes to hold a thin string secure than a traditional "hole through the post" type vintage Fenderish tuner. At least if you know how to string them up properly. And then it is even worse if you need to take the strings of during adjustments.

No...th Ez lock...

You can get the same effect with normal tuners by string twice through the same hole anyway...but really, they are not even a good enough quality tuner as standard in my book. I put them on my last project and they were off again before I finished it...

Real locking tuners, especially on a fender type, are so much better and worth it...

bluetele3.jpg

easy super fast string changes, no winding about the post and they are properly staggered to avoid the need for string trees...

bluetele4.jpg

I have noticed that there are a heap of locking tuners out there now and many have come down significantly in cost...well worth the little extra...plus the quality of a better quality tuner alone is worth it.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds as a locking tuner,they dont seem to do the best job.

What is the quality of Wilkinson Tuners like compared to Gotoh etc.

Any suggestions on what alternative tuners to use on a Strat . I am now considering making it a hardtail.

Regards

Greg

What is the quality of Wilkinson Tuners like compared to Gotoh etc.

Any suggestions on what alternative tuners to use on a Strat . I am now considering making it a hardtail.

I don't have any issues with Wilkinson tuners. They hold the strings in tune. That's the main requirement of the tuners, and they do it effectively, so no problems in my book.

I'll never claim that they're as good as Gotoh, Schaller, or Grover, but they do the job they're on there to do. The higher end pieces will be made a bit more solidly, turn a bit smoother, and have a bit higher turning ratio, but here's something to consider: how buch do you really turn on them? Will a smoother turn when you're only cranking it maybe a quarter-turn to tune up make that huge of a difference? How much difference will it make if that 1/4 turn is at 18:1 instead of 14:1?

Again, I'm not saying there isn't a difference between the tuners. I'm saying that the Wilkinsons do the job. Think of it like putting a Chevy up against a Cadillac, Lexux, or Mercedes Benz. They all get the job done well, but there are still differences.