Alternative Woods?

Yeah have a huge Elm tree in my front yard that is slowly dying.I am afraid I will have to cut it down soon before it takes out the house.Shame though,because it shades most of the yard.Hard to see in this picture because it is behind the other tree.You can see the branches spreading out though

That's awesome! Dont burn it! Make guitars out of it :D

if i may ask,......... what kind of bridge/tailpiece is that?

Schaller Hannes, here is a LINK

I have also made this video to show the bridge in greater details...

Schaller Hannes Bridge

Its a very high quality bridge with really brings out the looks of the instrument, I just wish they would make a 7 and 8 string version :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome! Dont burn it! Make guitars out of it

Yeah I always think about that when I lose a tree,but unfortunately the pecan that was struck by lightning last year and instantly went punky was too small to get good sized pieces from.The Elm though is easily large enough for many,many blanks.Should be interesting grain because of the stress the tree has gone through.

l_3558312c64094366bd11eab1378b4e36.jpg

l_8e9430f0d1a34054b575f3f831a2de58.jpg

l_11573a556e4a45919f95de68cd48098e.jpg

never follow me around ( unless you wanna be lost too ) but I made an Explorer out of pine and I used a Poplar neck.

The neck is still in use , still plays good and *is* reinforced with CF bars.

I've also used flea market carvings and various other sources for wood. Furniture for example.

Wood is wood. Some is better than others, but with care , it can pretty much all be used.

never follow me around ( unless you wanna be lost too ) but I made an Explorer out of pine and I used a Poplar neck.

The neck is still in use , still plays good and *is* reinforced with CF bars.

I've also used flea market carvings and various other sources for wood. Furniture for example.

Wood is wood. Some is better than others, but with care , it can pretty much all be used.

I have made a total of eleven necks out of poplar with dual action truss rods and rosewood fretboards. I've never had one twist or bend. This one for instance, (once I had finished it) has been gigged four or five nights a week since I sold it last January, and had proved reliable and very stable. So much so, in fact, that the second guitarist in the band it is played in has commissioned me to make a guitar made completely in poplar, but with a different shaped body :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I had a cool visit at my workshop!

A four string bass which I built 7 years ago came to say hello to me for a check up :D

Thought I would share some pics because I crafted the neck from a solid piece of padauk which is also an excellent and very stable tonewood.

I did not even have to adjust the neck, it did not move since my previous setting 7 years ago!

Enjoy :D

photo559.jpg

photo561e.jpg

photo562.jpg

photo563.jpg

photo564.jpg

You gonna make a guitar out of it ?

*waiting for a "here's yer sign' joke*

Thanks Ammie

according to the ebay listing it measures 6"x6"x20" and yeah ist soft but it should be oke for a set of wings or if im really careful and imaginative a top. but i still need to get a few tools befor i can put it too use its cool though the listing said its still green so it may take a while befor i ever do any thing with it.

I'm all about alternative woods.

Maple, poplar and walnut are about the only "mainstream" woods I use.

If it grows around here, I am not afraid to put a saw in it and see what happens.

I have used Eastern red cedar, butternut, sassafras, cucumbertree, sweetgum, hickory, cherry, elm, chestnut, persimmon, locust, beech, osage orange, honeylocust, and Kentucky coffetree.

How do they sound?

Like guitars.

I have a hard time placing the sound of a guitar in a way I can describe, and I'm never really sure how much of it is in the wood anyway.

You gonna make a guitar out of it ?

*waiting for a "here's yer sign' joke*

Thanks Ammie

according to the ebay listing it measures 6"x6"x20" and yeah ist soft but it should be oke for a set of wings or if im really careful and imaginative a top. but i still need to get a few tools befor i can put it too use its cool though the listing said its still green so it may take a while befor i ever do any thing with it.

I don't get it :D