Guitar Of The Month For November

Remember a null vote counts as a vote  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i found it really difficult to decide his month!

koelker12 - i quite like the hand painted design - but that can opener at the other end ... not sure about that

feral smurf - nearly voted for this as i love a good swirl and i love purple.... needs better pics though

osario - its good, i voted for it but why not take part in the forum a bit more. at first i thought you should have centered the dark stripe of wood on top - but actually i have stopped noticing that

brutal iv - i think that you can get away with stuff like this if the artwork is perfect.... but it just looks wrong. i am having difficulty with the legs/feet... looks like you squashed them in a bit

geekmorris - fair enough as a first project but it aint going to win GOTM

avenger - nearly got my vote with this one. my main issue would be the burst. i do like lo-fi bursts but not on guitars with so much bling. the neck lams look great

strandberg - i do love these things but i could not decide if i liked the blue hardware or not!

scott french - i would want to own this... but compared to your other work its a bit too traditional, thats probably why i would want to own it. but its memories of your more exdciting projects thats stopping me voting for this one

ragas - the guitar looks nice but that headstock is really throwing off the aesthetic balance for me

There were 3 guitars I could easily have voted for this month : Osario's Explorer, Strandberg's Ergonomic guitar and Scott French's SF2. Those are the ones I would really like to own.

Since I had to pick just one, I went with the SF2. I guess it is as much a vote for this particular guitar as it is a vote for Scott French's other work.

Cheers!

Koelker: Welcome to the forum! Interesting take on the Iceman idea/shape.

Feral Smurf: Very pretty pink swirl! I would have liked a pic of the front of the headstock, or a full front shot though.

Osorio: Welcome to the forum! I like your take on the KL explorer. The logo, and the top are admirable.

Brutal-lv: uhm... I'm not offended, but I really don't know what to say about this, other than "I don't like it."

geekmorris: Welcome to the forum! Your guitar brings back a lot of memories, as I used to have a classical that looked a lot like this one. I like the animals around the soundhole.

Avengers: Welcome to the-- oh wait. I saw this, and I have seen many like it come into my shop. You captured what I consider to be the vintage quality of older firebird models. The only thing I don't like is the chicken knob. This one got my vote. It may not be the prettiest one there, but it does have my favorite "theme" to it. I don't know if the binding goes with the guitar too well, but I do like the whole thing overall.

Strandberg: I LOVE your guitars :D You'll be getting an email from me soon about building one!

Scott French: That is a very sexy single cut! I'd own it.

Ragasguitars: Woah... that's thin. Is it stable? Is it microphonic with the stainless steel fingerboard? I heard that a lot of metal in guitars can do that. Headstock's a little big.

Lotsa newbies this month. I would like to see some build threads in future builds from you guys!

Edited by FireFly

<rant>

This may not be the place for it so mods remove the rant if it is out of line.

I think a lot of entries this past few months are missing the spirit of the forum by not taking part in anything other than the GOTM. I would like to see more involvement from the guys entering. A few entries mention how they have benefited from the PG forum. If you have gained so much what did you give? I have a hard time voting for guitars that just appear... no build thread... no discussions... no nothing.

I spend a lot of time detailing my builds in the hopes that someone can glean some info or help from them. I appreciate it when others do the same.

So I ask this question. What did you contribute?

</rant>

In my continuing quest to be more critical and give more usable feedback here is what I have. I mean no disrespect and offer these opinions as what they are opinions.

koelker12 - Nice paint job. I am not a fan of the headstock at all... doesn't flow with the iceman body. Everything else looks pretty good though I would suggest better pictures. No build thread.

feral smurf - Nice swirl. I like it however I think the rest of the guitar is a mystery. In the future please show more of the guitar. You need to take better pictures as I would like to see the modified headstock. I look forward to future swirl attempts.

osario - Very nice work. It was tough not to vote for this. I am disappointed there is no build thread.

brutal iv - Looks like a very well built guitar. I really would to have loved to see the Makore plain. I just can't vote for airbrushed guitars... can't wait to see the next one. No build thread.

geekmorris - I like the intention of the guitar and I hope your girl appreciates the work. Fair enough for first refinish. Not really a build though. No build thread.

avenger - I voted for this one. John this is one of your better pieces. The craftsman ship on the neck is excellent. I think that the inlays came out very nice and the regular tuners look like they belong. The body shape and pickgaurd look excellent. Who doesn't love a firebird equipped with a Kahler? I still think you need to take a little more time on the details (the edges of the headstock look uneven). The burst is the only detraction. I think I would have done a tri-tone dark brown fade burst.

strandberg - Ola the blue doesn't work for me with the wenge top. The guitar is amazing otherwise and I think your craftsmanship has actually gotten better if that was possible. I really like the design and the bend on the armrest. The detail at the fretboard/body joint is really nice.Thank you for sharing in your innovations with us.

scott french - Incredible guitar. I feel your pain on shooting the black top. If you think shooting black is hard try shooting fluorescents. The wood choices are really fine. The heal plate is a wonderful touch. The string guide system is a very nice design. I have always been inspired by your take on modern guitars as they have a traditional feel with a modern design. Saying no to this was very hard. However this one is a bit too classic and II think I like your more progressive work better. I would love to see more contributions to discussions from builders with your experience. No build thread.

ragas - I understand the function. I do not like the design though. Please do not take all my comments as criticism but as a critique. Think "mostly Harmless". I feel that the guitar's proportions are off and it is missing a flow. The waist of the guitar is very high and the contours on the edges do not seem even. The horns point a bit strange for my eye. The headstock is too big and for this design I would use something very slim and sleek. I do not understand why you would go to such great lengths to design such a thin neck and follow it up with a huge headstock (but that is just me). As for sound I am not a fan of SS frets as they are too bright IMHO and I would think that a full stainless FB or neck would follow suit. No Build thread (understandable if you are seeking patents)

<rant>

I think a lot of entries this past few months are missing the spirit of the forum by not taking part in anything other than the GOTM. I would like to see more involvement from the guys entering. A few entries mention how they have benefited from the PG forum. If you have gained so much what did you give? I have a hard time voting for guitars that just appear... no build thread... no discussions... no nothing.

I spend a lot of time detailing my builds in the hopes that someone can glean some info or help from them. I appreciate it when others do the same.

</rant>

In my continuing quest to be more critical and give more usable feedback here is what I have. I mean no disrespect and offer these opinions as what they are opinions.

koelker12 - Nice paint job. I am not a fan of the headstock at all... doesn't flow with the iceman body. Everything else looks pretty good though I would suggest better pictures. No build thread.

feral smurf - Nice swirl. I like it however I think the rest of the guitar is a mystery. In the future please show more of the guitar. You need to take better pictures as I would like to see the modified headstock. I look forward to future swirl attempts.

osario - Very nice work. It was tough not to vote for this. I am disappointed there is no build thread.

brutal iv - Looks like a very well built guitar. I really would to have loved to see the Makore plain. I just can't vote for airbrushed guitars... can't wait to see the next one. No build thread.

geekmorris - I like the intention of the guitar and I hope your girl appreciates the work. Fair enough for first refinish. Not really a build though. No build thread.

avenger - I voted for this one. John this is one of your better pieces. The craftsman ship on the neck is excellent. I think that the inlays came out very nice and the regular tuners look like they belong. The body shape and pickgaurd look excellent. Who doesn't love a firebird equipped with a Kahler? I still think you need to take a little more time on the details (the edges of the headstock look uneven). The burst is the only detraction. I think I would have done a tri-tone dark brown fade burst.

strandberg - Ola the blue doesn't work for me with the wenge top. The guitar is amazing otherwise and I think your craftsmanship has actually gotten better if that was possible. I really like the design and the bend on the armrest. The detail at the fretboard/body joint is really nice.Thank you for sharing in your innovations with us.

scott french - Incredible guitar. I feel your pain on shooting the black top. If you think shooting black is hard try shooting fluorescents. The wood choices are really fine. The heal plate is a wonderful touch. The string guide system is a very nice design. I have always been inspired by your take on modern guitars as they have a traditional feel with a modern design. Saying no to this was very hard. However this one is a bit too classic and II think I like your more progressive work better. I would love to see more contributions to discussions from builders with your experience. No build thread.

ragas - I understand the function. I do not like the design though. Please do not take all my comments as criticism but as a critique. Think "mostly Harmless". I feel that the guitar's proportions are off and it is missing a flow. The waist of the guitar is very high and the contours on the edges do not seem even. The horns point a bit strange for my eye. The headstock is too big and for this design I would use something very slim and sleek. I do not understand why you would go to such great lengths to design such a thin neck and follow it up with a huge headstock (but that is just me). As for sound I am not a fan of SS frets as they are too bright IMHO and I would think that a full stainless FB or neck would follow suit. No Build thread (understandable if you are seeking patents)

Great Rant

I agree 100%. If you don't have a build thread for your entry then it should be removed.

Also as pointed out by D E S Your first post should be in the GOTM.

My vote went to OLA

best guitar and he had a build thread and contributes to the forum. Hell he gave us his Bread and Butter.

Kudos to you Ola.

Peace

koelker12 - The headstock is throwing this for me, just does not work. & the fact that the vol & tone knobs are no there aswell. apart from that its a prety cool guitar. I would have used a darker background in the piks aswell. white against a light background doesent show the geet off too well.

feral smurf - Nice simple guitar, cool swirl job. Cant realy say much more apart from - Nice :D realy dig this one

osario - This is cool. But i have to agree with wes. That dark stripe should have been centralised down the body. I just can get past it. centre that strip & loose the fret board inlay & this would have been my No. 1

brutal iv - Just does not work for me. the artwork is not the best. Her thighs appear to be bent & the feet are mashed up. Kills off an otherise realy nice guitar. from the back it looks great, but the art work just ruins the front.

geekmorris - Sorry. For a refinish to warrent entry into GOTM it needs to be spectacular, serious inlay work of something. Not just a colour change. But then thats just my opinion.

avenger - seriously cool. But I think the neck is just too much glam for this guitar. realy cool neck & fret board, but just a bit much here. If it had a figured top then OK. But this is still excellent. (cant believe im not voting for something because the neck is too good for the rest :D )

strandberg - realy cool, as usual. the back looks killer, & I wish my fret jobs looked that flawless. But that bridge is so vivid it take my eye away from everything on the front. & thats the only reason its my No. 2.

scott french - This is my number 01. Simple but somehow a little bit flash & the same time. I love the neck & the simplicity of the finish on the front.

ragas - Im Not sure here. The headstock is wrong, But the body lines are a little off aswell, Cant tell if its just the shines along the top horn or not. Doesent flow well. But I kinda like it for some reason. Could be interesting to see more.

hold on a second - dont i remember someone pointing out that D E S was in fact you, or at least the same IP address?

and wasnt your point in that thread that a new members first post should not be in GOTM?

I find myself coming over all confused lately :D:D

hold on a second - dont i remember someone pointing out that D E S was in fact you, or at least the same IP address?

Same ip address different user.

and wasnt your point in that thread that a new members first post should not be in GOTM?

Yes I meant to type shouldn't I'm so sorry WezV.

I find myself coming over all confused lately :D:D

<rant>

</rant>

Great Rant

I agree 100%. If you don't have a build thread for your entry then it should be removed.

My vote went to OLA

best guitar and he had a build thread and contributes to the forum. Hell he gave us his Bread and Butter.

Kudos to you Ola.

Peace

Sorry; couldnt disagree more.

i get what your saying and its valid; but thats your right to have that as a reason not to vote for that build, it shouldnt be a pre-requiset for the competition; if im putting all i got into a build and am very proud of the finished product why cant i try to get some recognition if im too busy to to keep a journal?

this is the one part of the forum that is tottally a bueaty pagent;

if you had a build thread of the month; that would be just;

Sorry; couldnt disagree more.

i get what your saying and its valid; but thats your right to have that as a reason not to vote for that build, it shouldnt be a pre-requiset for the competition; if im putting all i got into a build and am very proud of the finished product why cant i try to get some recognition if im too busy to to keep a journal?

this is the one part of the forum that is tottally a bueaty pagent;

if you had a build thread of the month; that would be just;

No problem. I got it. I was not saying it should be a rule or a requirement. Instead of a rant I should have encouraged build threads and joining in on the discussions.

I just wanted to drum up some new content and new contributions as I would like some new opinions and ideas on the stuff getting done here. And I probably shouldn't have thrown it up in my GOTM reply.

I also should not have said that build threads influence my decisions because it doesn't matter in the long run.

I had a quick discussion about it over PM with another PGr and all that stuff works itself out during the voting process.

:D no more silly rants for me.