No Build Threads For Gotm?

I've noticed a trend lately. New members to the forum posting their first time, with an entrie into GOTM without a build thread.

Personally I can't vote for a guitar without a build thread.

How does anyone on the forum know if your the builder or not? Without progress pics.

Look at GOTM for December the first 2 entries are new members with 1 post. 1 with 3 posts and he entered last month with his first post.

Weird if you ask me.

Seems like it's not a give and take relationship for these people. Just a take take take. No build thread no entry if you ask me.

Edited by D E S
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo that’s weird ! I notice that too just as I was about to enter a guitar, then decide not to because I’m only a member since September with only 3 posts ( 4 Now Woohoo !) .

Guess I’ve being lurking longer that I thought .

Anyway what I’m trying to say is maybe people my self included don’t post or even register until they feel they have something worthwhile to contribute there’s a lot of talent on this site and I’ve been using the tutorial section and the form for years ,got me out of a lot of holes.

not every gotm entry is built by the person who enters in, it could be a custom build by somone off the forum or elsewhere, people are just trying to show off their guitars which i think should be encouraged.

It defeats the purpose of GOTM if you enter something you haven't built.

I'll go buy a PRS Dragon guitar and then enter that. It's built buy the custom shop part of Paul Reed Smith

First of all, sorry about the mess that I help to create.

In fact there wasn´t a rule at #1 post of GOTM saying that new members could not make your first post into GOTM thread.

I decline my Lespaul from GOTM december topic to create a build thread first.

If you have some questions about materials thecnic or anything else about any project that future post I´ll glad to help.

Sorry, sorry and sorry!

PS sorry about my english too! very rusty!

First of all, sorry about the mess that I help to create.

In fact there wasn´t a rule at #1 post of GOTM saying that new members could not make your first post into GOTM thread.

I decline my Lespaul from GOTM december topic to create a build thread first.

If you have some questions about materials thecnic or anything else about any project that future post I´ll glad to help.

Sorry, sorry and sorry!

PS sorry about my english too! very rusty!

Osorio, No need to apologize or remove your entries they look really good. No one should be singled out as this has been trending for a while. AND it takes guts to enter GOTM so kudos to you and anyone else for entering.

I don't think the idea is to restrict anything. It is ok to lurk.

However a forum community is a running dialog and if you don't contribute it is hard to be part of the community.

Also I would like to add. Contributing is not always giving but asking as well. You never know how many guys are wondering the same thing you are. Your questions can help others who may have similar issues.

:D

not every gotm entry is built by the person who enters in, it could be a custom build by somone off the forum or elsewhere, people are just trying to show off their guitars which i think should be encouraged.

I'll go buy a PRS Dragon guitar and then enter that. It's built buy the custom shop part of Paul Reed Smith

people have bought guitars built by people from the forums then entered them into gotm, seen this before and its never been frowned upon.

people have bought guitars built by people from the forums then entered them into gotm, seen this before and its never been frowned upon.

Thats fine as long as the credit goes to the builder not the poster. Like in the case of ScottR when Someone entered a guitar he built for them.

Guitar of the month started as a showcase of any guitar you may have that you modified or built or had built.The guitar was selected by Brian himself from anything he might have seen on the internet ,including sometimes this forum.

At one time it was attempted to split them up into several categories,and it did not work.People can still enter modified guitars or pretty much any guitar they wish that they created.

The rules every month in the GOTM thread states that it is open to all members and that you are to enter your "creation".A modified guitar is still a creation,but it does not matter as it all gets sorted out in the vote.Personally I feel all of the complaining about members entering with only one post is a bit of poor sportsmanship,and I doubt it would ever be an issue if the guitars entered were not so nice.

Since this forum has members all over the world and some of them (like Osorio) may be self-conscious about their use of English,I think it is perfectly fine.

Just my opinion.

Personally I like to see as much of the guitar as possible. GOTM is a great inspiration to newbs like me. Build threads then really show the steps along the way and really add to the final product.

So while it would be nice to see/read/hear more from the entrants, just seeing some entries each month to inspire is important too.

build threads certainly help me decide who to vote for. It's hard enough to judge a guitar by pictures and soundclips on the internet, but trying to decide based on 4 finished pictures alone makes it even more difficult. For me, preference will always go to projects that actually shows the process and craft in more detail.

Personally I can't vote for a guitar without a build thread.

People have jobs, wives, kids, school, girlfriends, boyfriends (as the case may be :P ), houses, other interests, volunteer positions, drug and alcohol problems, jobs (did I mention jobs? :D ), that all keep them occupied on other things in life besides hosting build threads just to make you happy to get your little vote.

We all come at this hobby/profession (as the case may be) from many different viewpoints and perspectives, we're all different with different objectives in mind for this thing we do, maybe you have nothing better to do with your time than take a thousand digital pics, organize them, stare at them, host them, post them, and talk about them, but others may not, and the vote you cast shouldn't be held hostage simply because a guy (or girl) doesn't feel like hosting and posting to a regular build thread, that maybe their life is full of other things to do, but they do want to share their love of building guitars with us fairly and squarely, build thread or not.

For those who do, it's a great thing that is appreciated, but for those who choose not to, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Damn I feel better now! :DB) B) Woo-Hoo!

well here is a simple solution

every one gets to set there own voting criteria. there are members that wont vote for a guitar with a baught neck or some wont vote for a bolt on neck guitar some or what ever.

so just set up your own criteria if you dont think a member has been here long enough or if you think that there should be a build thread then vote acorrdingly and there chances of winning will be that much less or more.

indeed

I agree a bit of contribution and a build thread is nice - but i dont think it needs a rule.

Loads of people moan about GOTM - the issues they see will influence the way they vote. do we really need a rule to cover every possible aspect of GOTM when we are clearly able to make out own adult judgements and vote accordingly

do we really need a rule to cover every possible aspect of GOTM when we are clearly able to make out own adult judgements and vote accordingly

No. We just need people to act like adults, not pre-teen fanboys following the cult of personality, basing their decisions on the persons reputation/history/friendship/whatever rather than the actual entry.

do we really need a rule to cover every possible aspect of GOTM when we are clearly able to make out own adult judgements and vote accordingly

No. We just need people to act like adults, not pre-teen fanboys following the cult of personality, basing their decisions on the persons reputation/history/friendship/whatever rather than the actual entry.

must be how the new guy got in the lead this month :D

also, a recent comment from you on this issue:

IIRC, the Dragon lost to a "single-post nobody".

Why is it the "pre-teen fanboys following the cult of personality, basing their decisions on the persons reputation/history/friendship/whatever" are voting for newbies? As far as i am concerned that can only be because of the guitar that has been entered

the only issue i have with the newbie possibly winning this month (i did vote for him so its not a massive issue), is that Kill has been doing similar guitars for a while that have not won. and with his new veneer it looks like kill is making something even more similar - with the one issue i had with the newbies guitar corrected... the veneer is centered! But if it wins it could make people less likely to vote for kill's if he was to enter it in the next few months.

Why is it the "pre-teen fanboys following the cult of personality, basing their decisions on the persons reputation/history/friendship/whatever" are voting for newbies? As far as i am concerned that can only be because of the guitar that has been entered

Did I say that I felt EVERYONE was voting this way? Never once did that come from me. Clearly that's not the case. But it does happen.

I guess it is as much a vote for this particular guitar as it is a vote for Scott French's other work.

Based not only on the work entered, but on the previous work, which is NOT entered.

And yes, you have had your share of "loyalty votes" too. I suppose it's pretty easy for you to try and discount them when you're on the receiving end of it all. Don't believe me?

tell you all what, if i win - which i guess is most likely at this stage with most of the votes in - i will give GOTM a rest for a while.

It later came out WHY you were entering...

tell you all what, if i win - which i guess is most likely at this stage with most of the votes in - i will give GOTM a rest for a while.

But what's so special about having 5 wins?

Perry also has 5 wins and is much better than me (and that my friends is why 5 is a nice number).

So you needed to feed your ego. Gotcha. You were even brazen enough about it to admit it publicly - that you were entering until you felt like you had won it enough. Frankly, that's the most arrogant thing I'd heard in a very long time. So how did the fickle populace of PG respond to this narcissist run amok?

gawd bless the English humility. Good on you.

we want more GOTM geets from the wezmeister

They called you humble and wanted more.

So yes, there IS a cult of personality here that follows and votes for the PERSON rather than the GUITAR.

the only issue i have with the newbie possibly winning this month (i did vote for him so its not a massive issue), is that Kill has been doing similar guitars for a while that have not won.

I couldn't agree with you more, which leads me into another aspect of the cult of personality. Just as some vote for those they like, some people - not all, but some - DON'T vote for someone because they don't like them personally. I know for a fact that I've been on the receiving end of this because I got a PM stating it. I got on a soapbox right before the voting and it pissed someone off enough that they not only voted against me because of it, but they told me about it. If it happened once, it certainly has happened more than that.

In the same vein, Kill's social reputation here is that he's a self-loathing, whining, immature young man. I've never taken that stance with/about him, but many others have. Given that I was voted against because of personality conflicts, it's safe to presume that he was as well.

All of this brings me back to the point I've made multiple times, and have been agreed with both publicly and privately: GOTM is as much of a popularity contest as much as anything else.

So this begs the inevitable question: If I know that's what it is, why would I continue entering?

It's a nod from your peers and aspiring builders.

I'm not too big to admit it. I'm as human as anyone else, and have the same needs that everyone else has. I want the recognition and respect of my peers. Everyone does. If you try and deny it, you're lying. True, some need it more than others, but the need remains. It's part of our basic human make-up.

So there you have it. I need to be acknowledged by my peers that I do indeed know what I'm doing. So when You, Perry, or Scott f'ing French jump into the pool.... you who want only bragging rights or to have MORE acknowledgment than you already have... it's frustrating. It's frustrating because you've had yours already, but you need more for some reason.

And them some newbie comes in with basically the same ax Kill entered, but is on the brink of winning where Kill never was... it speaks volumes.

calm down john

We both know by now we dont agree on this.

You know by now that i find it personally insulting that you think i have only won 5 times by 'being popular'. I believe I have won 5 times by building guitars seen as good enough to win... and lost even more times, often when entering guitars more deserving of a win in my eyes.

I have admitted i have had enough for now, i have admitted that i found 5 wins particularly pleasing as nobody has more than that yet.

It does not change that i got those 5 wins by building awesome guitars, i am sorry you think otherwise

You may also notice that i used my knowledge, and quite frankly love of scott french's previous work as a reason not to vote for him this time around - i do try to be open about my reasons for voting a certain way

You know by now that i find it personally insulting that you think i have only won 5 times by 'being popular'. I believe I have won 5 times by building guitars seen as good enough to win... and lost even more times, often when entering guitars more deserving of a win in my eyes.

Name any time that I said that was the only reason you've won. You can't find it because I never said it. So you can be insulted if you like, but it'd be for something I did not say. Reputation and personality conflicts influences the votes, period. If THAT'S what you're offended by, then I'm with you. It SHOULD be based on the actual work presented, and nothing else. But it's not. For many, probably the majority, I'd like to think it is.

And never did I say that your particular entries didn't deserve to win. I've always acknowledged your skill. I've said that your rep will have given you an edge in some cases. Maybe it made a difference in the voting, maybe it didn't. Maybe my being vocal about my thoughts has caused me to lose, maybe it didn't. All I can say with absolute certainty is that it HAS cost me votes, and that reputation will give someone the nod.

And never did I say that your particular entries didn't deserve to win. I've always acknowledged your skill. I've said that your rep will have given you an edge in some cases. Maybe it made a difference in the voting, maybe it didn't. Maybe my being vocal about my thoughts has caused me to lose, maybe it didn't. All I can say with absolute certainty is that it HAS cost me votes, and that reputation will give someone the nod.

thats a far more sensible answer - i am not denying that these things you mention play a role but its worth remembering the variety of winners seems to rule out any hard and fast rules about what will win.

anyway - all i can do continue to be open and honest with my voting strategies. The same way i have been open about the reasons I wanted my 5th win

I will quote what i wrote in august when your guitar came in 3rd. beating Muzz, notyou, jaden and hooglebug - 4 people i would consider regulars:

avenger63 - i like it a lot - maybe a bit too bling in some areas but it pulls it off nicely. overall the design work is really good, the large plate really suits the body and the cherry blossom looks nowhere near as cheesy as it may have done. still some issues to mention though - like the neck width at the body end and its alignment, less dusty photo's, more care on the fretwork - but i voted because the design is so pleassing to me

So please dont think i am just voting for people i get on with! I would also happily vote for kill (certainly his recent work) despite the fact i dont always agree with his outlook. If its in gotm i will call it as i see it, aim for positive and negative feedback and ultimately vote for what i like best!

you are currently in 3rd place again, beating Ola. Be proud of that and take that as a nod from your peers... then get to work on building a winner

....when they could be spending that time building guitars.

I know you're just blowing smoke and trying to say "chill". FWIW: I have 4 active builds going on right now, and 3 more back-burners working. Believe me - I have PLENTY on my plate right now for builds. 3 of the 4 active ones are in various parts of the finishing stage, and I'm hesitant to kick up too much dust.

And I love a good soapbox rant. :D

i only have one build on the go, and a couple of slow burning rebuild/restoration projects. life is just to busy for it at the moment (apart from finding out i actually get 3 days of this week i did not know about :D )

seriously want to do an iceman though and nearly started one today... always wanted a mirror (ya beat me to that one john) or pearl top but i think i may combine it with my zematis love and do a metal top - when i finally get around to it

The one i am currently building is the doubleneck - and i wont apologise if i decide to enter that into GOTM :D