Old Build Rekindled

MiKro

NEW UPDATE: March/28/2021  OKAY I did not move forward with it months ago. Now it is time to get off of my butt and do something with It.

SEE PAGE TWO FOR THE NEW BEGINNING

UPDATE: May 2020, I found this. So the restart begins.  see the last post for more info.  Most pictures from 2010 missing due to BIG PG SERVER CRASH Years ago  LOL

Hi All,

A few years ago I started a build of a 335 clone but a bit smaller. It's the one on the right. :D

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/2more.jpg

I never liked the body shape so I put it away until today.

So I drew up a new DC style more to my liking and began the milling of it on my CNC.

First must profile the new shape. I had to do this in sections as hold down space for a complete profile cut would be a problem. I also decided to chamber this as well. The Body is a two piece ASH body.

Mike

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc8.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc7.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc6.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc5.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc4.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc3.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc2.jpg

http://www.mikrovisions.com/hold/ndc1.jpg

Looking forward to more on this Mike. I think it's damn cool that you built the tool you're using to build the instrument.

SR

Cool to see that badboy in action! Keep up the good work!

Chris

Thanks Guys,

My camera battery is on charge so I didn't get pics of me trimming the neck tenon. I set it in and it looks funky. So, after looking at it I will need to remove some of the neck area of the body. So I will re profile it in the next few days to accommodate the set in the body back about 3/4". This will also require a minor reshape of the cutouts. :D

BTW Not sure you noticed the time stamps :D I was actually running it at about half the cutting speed I normally run. Also took some time to draw up the chambers and control cavity as well after the profiling before cutting those. B)

Will update soon.

MK

What are you going to do to the headstock?

Love the Macassar BTW.

SR

Fretboard is great on this one. Good mix of woods... I am not sure about the new body shape yet. Need to see it with a top and some F holes maybe.

Excellent work regardless

Thanks Guys, that is striped ebony on the fretboard, headstock veneer is lacewood and curly maple. The neck is a 5 lam of curly maple and mahogany. :D

As far as the headstock it's a little to large for this I think. So I'll most likely remove the sides and add new wings and change the shape more like something off of an Ibenez or similar to the one I used on my Reso GOTM winner.

Also will be using black hardware.

Mike

That is one of the most ridiculously sexy fretboards I've seen in awhile, Monster Sexy Board! :D
Thanks Drak, I have 2 more from this piece of wood :D I paid a premium for it 6 years ago. BTW did you notice the worm hole between the first and second fret? Kind of hard to see. It's on the treble side. The others have even more B) I'll try and get a close up, it's cool as well. LOL

Mike

So after some handling of the new body shape, I've decided to trash that one. The horns are just to close in. So I revamped it today and widened the horns. Should be a bit more comfortable with these changes. Also did a quick render of the top. Any Opinions?

dcnew5a.jpg

newdc51.jpg

newdc5.jpg

Mike

So I dug out a one piece spalted, wormy pecan for the top. Leveled it on the CNC and made a quick oversize 0.050 pocket cut on it to look at. Added about 0.375 in to the neck throat that will be removed when done. :D

Also in the last few days I built a new buffer. Have to order some more Buffing wheels for other needs. Used a Buffing head from Grizzly and a variable speed conversion motor with controller from Penn State Industries. about $200.00 for both. Man I like it. Polished up some silver really great.

So here's the top wood I plan to use. as well as the buffer. :D Added some shellac to see the profile.

spaltedpecan1.jpg

Used the 8" wheel for buffing some silver. Have some more 10" on order for wood work

newbuf.jpg

MK

So yesterday and today I have started the new top. Will be making a new Body in the next few days using Swamp Ash. Most likely will add a 0.125 piece of walnut as well to contrast between the top and bottom. :D

Hard to see but this is the top inside being chambered.

ndc23.jpg

Here is the top after roughing.

ndc24.jpg

Now just starting the finish pass on the top.

ndc25.jpg

Mike

Alright Mike, we're gunna have to do some talking as to how you got that carve model done so well. That's the ONE place that Rhino still kills me. I can't model a carved top to save my life apparently.

Chris

:D You are just gonna have to come to Texas sometime. :D

Do either of you have access to a program called Enroute? That's what we modeled with here when we were still running a CNC? I don't know anything about it other than it was good and supposedly fairly easy to run. We sold it and the machine this spring...and the software was probably high dollar...which kind of defeats the purpose of build your own.....which may have turned this into a pointless question.....

Oh well :D

SR

Do either of you have access to a program called Enroute? That's what we modeled with here when we were still running a CNC? I don't know anything about it other than it was good and supposedly fairly easy to run. We sold it and the machine this spring...and the software was probably high dollar...which kind of defeats the purpose of build your own.....which may have turned this into a pointless question.....

Oh well :D

SR

Scott I have seen Enroute, yes it is expensive. Not sure what it can and cannot do though? Most any good CAD/CAM software is costly though. also the learning curve on some is much greater than others as well.

I use Aspire and ArtCam Pro.

Our CNC was a Multi-Cam from right there in your neck of the woods and Enroute is what they usually sent (sold) with it. It can pretty much control all the XYZ motions you can dream up, and is considered one of the easier ones to train or learn. My guy (who does have a computer and graphics background) says he can teach someone to use it to set up and cut XYZ and contours in a day. What takes longer according to him is learning to set the paths (create the cut files?) to clean up the tool marks and leave a finished surface.

We really always used a program called i-cut which took files created in illustrator and an on board camara to make contour cuts around printed graphics. We got enroute because we thought it would be cool to make 3-dimensional stuff. But nobody sold any 3-d stuff, so it was a stupid idea.

SR

So I made up a body from a sandwich of Swamp Ash and Walnut.

Here is the top carved. Not cutout yet so it does'nt warp. will do that when ready to glue it to the body.

ndc31.jpg

Here's the body sandwich after chambering.

ndc37.jpg

Here I have created an inlay to allow for the control cover to screw to when I cut it from the back.

ndc38.jpg

Here it is after leveling the inlay.

ndc39.jpg

Now on to the back carve. :D

Mike

So as I progress I keep having senior moments and doing things totally out of wack. Typos ans stupid stuff. Things like transposing numbers which has a detrimental effect on a CNC. :D

So here is some progress with the screw ups as well. B)

Cutting out the control cover, Used wrong Mill diameter, :D

ndc42.jpg

Now having to inlay the cover and recut to get it the correct size.

ndc43.jpg

ndc44.jpg

ndc45.jpg

Ah yes and my favorite screw up. Make the neck pocket to large by typoing 2.223 as 2.23 Yes it rattled around. So the need for an insert and redo.

ndc46.jpg

Drilling the String holes. I should have waited.

ndc47.jpg

All of the pockets cutout, The holes drilled everything looks great. NOT!!

ndc48.jpg

So I pulled the spacing for a 24fret for the pickups NOT a 22fret. Now I have a big a$$ gap. Had I only not drilled for the bridge this would be an easy fix. bridge pickup would off some but that would be much easier to fix.

ndc49.jpg

So does a cnc give you an edge. Nope just different problems to contend with.

Mike

Looking dang good Mike! I see your workshop is moving up in the world.
So where in the hell have you been? I assume all is well with you and family? YOU need to stop in for a beer.

:D

Mike

P.S. Your PM box is frigging Full.

I'll get that fixed ASAP.

2010 tried to kill me, but I'm still here. I'll give you a call and fill you in on the details.

GBT

• 9 years later...

Well I found this old thread when I started this one. WOW! 2010

It's missing all of the pictures though due to the Big Server Crash years ago.

Finding this guitar in the bowels of the disaster shop from Hell is pure gold. LOL!!

I guess I really need to finish this one? I don't really like the transitions in the neck though? I may have to do some creative cnc work on that.  Now to find the original CNC files if I can? :)

MK

dc3a.jpg