Who Makes The Best Sounding P-90?

ScottR

We all know it's 100% personal opinion, so all different answers are to be expected. All we can go off of is out personal experiences.

The tele set I got from BL is wonderful.

The Gretsch HBs I have kick all kinds of a$$.

The DiMarzios I have are decent.

But the hands down best set I have is the blade strat set I got from R.A.D. Coming in a close second is the set of 3 mini-HBs I got from him.

But back to the P-90 question...

I have a pair of Gibson P-90s, and they're great. I don't really have any others to compare them to, but I can say that these are pretty nice.

I still keep thnking I should one day try the Bill Lawrence 500 XL...I really like blade pickups since I always have a rather narrow string spacing.

But I haven't built a guitar warm enough to pair up with the treble and midrange they are supposed to have....although my Limba explorer that is next up on the list should be pretty warm.

on the gretsch pickups though - if you like them you would love TV jones!!! we can over rule personal opinion on that since gretsch obviously agree and put them on their more expensive guitars

Yea, I've always thought that was an odd irony. TVJs make no effort to hide that they're copies of Gretsch pups, but Gretsch must agree that TVJ makes them better than the originals. It just seems unusual for a company to admit "you do us better than we do."

Bill f'ing Lawrence website end of line

Just out of curiosity, why would you post something like this?

Out of all the custom winders winding P-90's these days (and there are a LOT out there)

You pick a company that Doesn't Even Make a f'ing P-90.

...Unbelievable post. :D

on the gretsch pickups though - if you like them you would love TV jones!!! we can over rule personal opinion on that since gretsch obviously agree and put them on their more expensive guitars

Yea, I've always thought that was an odd irony. TVJs make no effort to hide that they're copies of Gretsch pups, but Gretsch must agree that TVJ makes them better than the originals. It just seems unusual for a company to admit "you do us better than we do."

I think it makes sense - it means they dont have to worry about vintage accurate manfacturing techniques for their own brand of pickups. It probably also reflects that a lot of gretsch owners were swapping for TV jones... may as well give them what they want!

gretsch are part of the fender family and fender have always been happy offereing other branded pickups on some models - like a recent custom shop run of heavy relic 60's strats with bare knuckle pickups new 60's wind single coil sets ... and many more

Hey Scotty , just seen this thread.....I have a a couple of guitars ,made for and leaned toward blues ,and I used Lindy and kent pickups.They are very good and the construction is top shelf.Another thing ,if you have a sound in mind ,you can talk to them and they will tweek it to your liking.Also they can answer any thing you mite question.I don't recomend using two P90's just because you can get more sounds with say a P90 and a unbucker or some other combo.You are very detailed type of person, so hope this helps.

Hey Dean, thanks for the input. I've pretty much decided on getting some made by RAD, if I ever get my s*** together and get them ordered. It'll be after the first of the year now. I resawed a piece of cocobolo for a couple of fretbaords and have a plan to make a new radius sanding block.......and that's it so far.

SR

I know this is petty but I run into Seymour Duncan once a year,and one of those years he pissed me off.I bought a photo of the Ventures and Nokie's wife asked me if I wanted it signed by the band,who happen to be playing at the time.I said yes, and she told me to come on up on stage to get it signed.Well Seymour Duncan was with Nokie as I went to get his sig. and he said ,he's a drummer ,like telling Nokie to just not sign it.I was thinking all kinds of stuff, but Nokie being the person he is ,just signed it, and I thanked him and his wife.I just do not understand some people,and my son is the drummer not me, not that it should matter.I guess I just said all that to say ,even if he made the best pickups in the world,I would think twice before buying any.He does not need my bizz anyway ,I'am sure. :D

Bill f'ing Lawrence website end of line

Just out of curiosity, why would you post something like this?

Out of all the custom winders winding P-90's these days (and there are a LOT out there)

You pick a company that Doesn't Even Make a f'ing P-90.

...Unbelievable post. :D

I thought this was a different thread. I wasn't paying as much attention to the title as I should have. I realized it way too kate to do anything about it.

I thought this was a different thread. I wasn't paying as much attention to the title as I should have. I realized it way too kate to do anything about it.

Haha! Been there, done that... :D

Well, old Bill DID happen to make a P-90 / Mini-HB sized pickup, the L-550 and L-560 series.

Long gone and hard to come by, they're not anything like a standard P-90, but technically, he did do a P-90 sized pickup.

They look just like most of his dual-rail pickups, but fit in a P-90 opening.

Popular in the '80's I think.

So I stand corrected!