7 String Neck Dimensions

MikeD

To expand on what ihocky said, neck width is a function of string spacing at the nut, the bridge and margin either side of the strings. A 48mm nut with a 42mm string spread with a 60mm string spread at the bridge would measure (((60+(48-42))-48)/2)+48 at the 12th fret (57mm in this example). Easy to simplify, but you can see what that means. It just assumes a constant distance from the string to the edge of the fretboard down the entire length. Plug in and go!

To expand on what ihocky said, neck width is a function of string spacing at the nut, the bridge and margin either side of the strings. A 48mm nut with a 42mm string spread with a 60mm string spread at the bridge would measure (((60+(48-42))-48)/2)+48 at the 12th fret (57mm in this example). Easy to simplify, but you can see what that means. It just assumes a constant distance from the string to the edge of the fretboard down the entire length. Plug in and go!

Wait would scale length affect this at all?

Ok, now I'm confused. How would that factor into this all? By the way I'm looking at 64.8mm string spacing at bridge, 41.78mm spacing at nut, and 49.53mm nut width. Using prosthetas method, which makes sense to me, I get 61.04mm width at 12th. It this off?

Look man,I don't know about mathematical formulae...But I do have a firm natural sense of geometry,and I can visualize this sort of thing as a picture in my head.

Picture the nut at the end of a centerline running lengthwise down the guitar space...the bridge is at the other end.You draw in the width of the nut(halved on the centerline) and the width of the bridge(the string spread on both,not the total width)...you add 1/8" to both sides of both ends,then you draw a straight line down each side intersecting those points...

There is obviously one factor missing in that geometric design,you see...The scale length(distance from nut to bridge,in a rough sense)..the scale length is going to help determine the exact width of the neck at the 12th fret.Simplicity itself

• 1 month later...