Proper Disposal Of Mistakes Or Flawed Experimentation

Im all for a good bonfire, but a nice piece of ebony would be the LAST thing I would ever burn. Id rather give it away if someone might have a use for it.

Im sure you get through more material than I do though! I tend to hoard anything i think i could ever use again at some point.

I assure you, I do the same for stuff that IS useable. NO ONE would ever have a use for a 1/8" thick ebony board (since I had to resaw it off to get the truss rod in a timely manner), already tapered, with fret slots almost all the way through, with inlays, and in 25.4" scale. Not so useful...

Chris

yeah i wasnt having a knock at you at all. When building on YOUR kind of scale, Im sure you create alot of scraps and offcuts that are just not worth keeping. Im not a builder, so any little pieces of ebony or pearl etc. that I acquire or have left over will be kept in a draw for me to sit and stare at from time to time like a kid collecting bottle caps.

I don't have speakers here at work, so I'm not sure if there was commentary with the burning, but I hope there was a nice glass of Scotch to go with that cigar.

I do the same thing as Wes, I stare at the scraps until they get in my way and then right into the fire. My wife does a ton of small lathe work, so if it is in the scrap pile there is nothing special about it at all. I look at it this way, I enjoy my time working with wood to build a guitar. I enjoy the time on projects I get out of the scraps. I get my final enjoyment sitting outside on a nice evening sitting by a fire with a glass of 15 year old Laphroaig and a Man O' War cigar.