Guitar building competition!!

Clavin

Hi Guys.

At first I didn't like where the poll was heading, but in the end I really liked the upcoming ideas.

"Pro" vs. Newbie sounds like fun, build two guitars, etc..

My only addition would be to have the pros, and newbies "promise" to make tutorials on thier specific expertise. That way the true mission of the site is held together.

Luthiers teaching others how to build guitars.

We would get a lot of new tutorials that way, on almost every aspect of guitar building.

What do you think?

Craig

What I think we should do. Is have 2 guitars. NewB and pro. we'd all sign up to do a piece of the guitar and make it. then send it to Brian with our donation and he can assemble the two guitars and raffle them off. That way we wouldnt have to be shipping the guitar everywhere.

What I think we should do. Is have 2 guitars. NewB and pro. we'd all sign up to do a piece of the guitar and make it. then send it to Brian with our donation and he can assemble the two guitars and raffle them off. That way we wouldnt have to be shipping the guitar everywhere.

snork, that is the first good idea i've ever heard you say. (and probably the only good idea you've ever had :D )

snork, that is the first good idea i've ever heard you say. (and probably the only good idea you've ever had :D )

Except it aint a good idea...

You cant shape the neck unless the fret board is attached = 1 x shipping

You cant cut the neck pocket unless the neck is there to test = 1 x shipping

One person to machine and glue up all the neck blanks or body blanks = 1 x shipping

You cant expect one person to cut the body, sand it, rout it, prime it, finish it, and buff it. Thats got to be split up amongst a few people = 3 x shipping

Electronics? = 1 x shipping

Hardware? 1 x shipping

Thats 8 lots of shipping so far, and what, $15-30 each time? Insurance?

Who shippied the raw materials to begin with? 1 x shipping

Who shipped the electronics and hardware? 1 x shipping

It all adds up!

i think the most feasable way to do it is to have ,for example...one guy makes complete neck,ships to guy who does inlay,fretting, and leveling,then he ships to guy who does body,finishing,and ships it to guy who does hardware and elctronics

any more than that and it gets real expensive.