Machine Heads

Hi y'all, my first post. I've been lurking around for long, but haven't posted anything yet :D

Anywayz, I got this old e-guitar with set of machine heads that are quite unusable and a bit corroded (which i can fix) - check the pic.

pic 1: corrosion is not as bad as seen on pic below, its my I-like-to-make-saturated-pics camera

2r1z60j.jpg

pic2: i tried to outline the baseplate (or whatever you might call it) for easier recognition

20sac0p.jpg

They rock a lot (a.i. rock the cradle, not rock'n'roll) and dont hold the tuning well, so i was thinking of finding similar ones or even identical. When i say rock - here's short video I made to avoid confusion:

So, has anybody seen any similar around? I tried browsing thru various sites but found none - maybe you can point me to some useful sites, e-shop, e-catalogues I haven't checked yet?

Also, is there a fix that can make them stable again? The guitar is some old russian guitar that is, well, cheap'n'cheesy, but i really wanna retain everything original, including tuners.

Thanks for any useful replies!

Edited by Moriarty

Hi y'all, my first post. I've been lurking around for long, but haven't posted anything yet :D

Anywayz, I got this old e-guitar with set of machine heads that are quite unusable and a bit corroded (which i can fix) - check the pic.

So, has anybody seen any similar around? I tried browsing thru various sites but found none - maybe you can point me to some useful sites, e-shop, e-catalogues I haven't checked yet?

Also, is there a fix that can make them stable again? The guitar is some old russian guitar that is, well, cheap'n'cheesy, but i really wanna retain everything original, including tuners.

Thanks for any useful replies!

25___VC_ST6_Vintage.jpg

Hipshot (http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=250) and particularly Schaller (pictured above) (http://guitar-machine-heads.com/hp135151/Artikel-Liste.htm) come to mind.

Just taking a guess here, but it looks like the screw-head and the gear are not perfectly centered. Could be the angle, but maybe there is a bushing that used to go in between the screw and the gear? or maybe you can change the screws to something with a bigger shank but same thread size/count?

just passin on some ideas... :D

I saw these on stewmac yesterday and they are really beautiful.I am going to have to use some on something.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,...ead_Guitar.html

Just keep in mind, these tuning machines are NOT made in switzerland....

''Swiss design'' can mean anything from a little designer who has a computer sitting on his ass in geneva who then sends plans to this big company who produces tuning machines for several companies and manufactures including stewmac... :D

That's okay..the look is what I like...I really didn't expect it to taste like swiss cheese or anything.

Most people buy them because they think that they are made in switzerland...

So easy to place ''swiss designed'' when advertising something :D

But from what I've heard they are very good tuning machines and not cheesy :D

Great replies, thanks guys!

@Lester Those Schallers are really nice, I checked specs and they should fit indeed, even for other projects of mine - i forgot about Schaller, they usually have "normal" stuff and didn't even check even thou I have their bridges/tuners on almost all of my guitars LOL

@Our Souls Thanks for ideas, this should work - the guy who gave me the guitar said some small parts fell outta guitar when he found it on the attic :D I'll definetely try and try to center tuners - the rocking tuners are usually what all old crappy guitars have problems with, guess thats the problem!

@westhemann Those "swiss" tuners are BEAUTIFUL! I wanna buy a bunch of them and cuddle them all day long :D Lovely, lovely, lovely. As far as "Swiss-design" goes, they just probably wanna say that if they are designed by a Swiss guy, they are as precise as a swiss clock, i guess?

If somebody buys them before me, post a lil' review, I really wanna hear more about them!

M.