New Sapelli Day!

• 3 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=480215:date=Dec 20 2010, 10:12 AM:name=Quarter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quarter @ Dec 20 2010, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=480215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->jatoba?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes indeed. This piece first served duty as part of a packing crate for a shipment of granite slabs imported from Brazil. I rescued it from a chain saw and a trash bin.

SR

I always saw Jatoba as a tool killing slab of rock heavy pallet wood. Let us know how it turns out if and when you build it into a guitar.

The two I have built so far both have jatoba necks, as will the one I'm just starting.

first build

Hook Custom

They are extremely stiff responsive necks that feel and sound great. And no neck dive issues with these anyway.

I think it would be too hard and heavy for a body wood, although it's not that different from bubinga in that regard. It is normally rather plain too, but if I ever ran across a piece of the proper size for a top that was figured like the one I pictured here, I'd certainly give it a go.

SR

I did my floors in Jatoba, and made some necks and fretboards with leftovers. It's heavy and prone to tearout, but stable as can be.

Today was supposed to be new Sapele day for me, too, but my normal supplier was out, so I picked up some 12/4 Kahya. It's definitely lighter (weight-wise) with similar color, grain structure and ribboning to Sapele.

I had a few pieces of Sapele come in this week..I am really glad this thread made me look for some,because mahogany is getting very tough to find in the right sizes...but my sapele and one piece of Afromisa are very nice ribbon grained pieces.

Truth is there seem to be some very good mahogany substitutes out there..

• 2 weeks later...

Goddamn Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!! brutha you are one lucky man having some lumber like that on tap :D Sapelli is a very nice wood to work with and I do use them on some of my builds. Those tops are gonna make some serious guitars brutha :D 7 B) strings ?

I love the ribbon figurine which you get on sapelli, in some very rare cases I did find some bees wings figurine, that was epic! These are for some 6 strings B) cheers