Q About Staining A New Warmoth Neck

Cherryburst

I'm waiting on a Warmoth neck that I've ordered, which I intend to finish with Tru-oil. It's unfinished maple with the Indian Rosewood fretboard. I know these things come from the factory dipped in a "conditioner" called Nelsonite.

But before the Tru-oil, I'm kicking around the idea of staining the maple part of the neck to make the whole thing look like Rosewood. I would use some kind of Brown stain - either Behlen SolarLux or StewMac's ColorTone - with 91% iso alcohol.

Does anyone foresee any problems with the alky+stain penetrating the Nelsonite and/or maple?

I'm waiting on a Warmoth neck that I've ordered, which I intend to finish with Tru-oil. It's unfinished maple with the Indian Rosewood fretboard. I know these things come from the factory dipped in a "conditioner" called Nelsonite.

But before the Tru-oil, I'm kicking around the idea of staining the maple part of the neck to make the whole thing look like Rosewood. I would use some kind of Brown stain - either Behlen SolarLux or StewMac's ColorTone - with 91% iso alcohol.

Does anyone foresee any problems with the alky+stain penetrating the Nelsonite and/or maple?

You'll hve a real hard time making Maple looking like rosewood with just stain, on a previously sealed piece of wood.

Is the "Nelsonite" really a durable sealer? I found an old post on Google where a Warmoth employee says they mainly use it to ensure that it helps get a neck through shipping, but it wears off quickly after you start playing on it.

Its written on their website:

http://www.warmoth.com/ordering/Warranty.aspx

Necks:

Our necks are warranted to be free of defective materials and workmanship for up to two years from the date of purchase. Necks that require a hard finish, and that are finished by the purchaser will be covered for one year providing the application and type of finish used is deemed satisfactory by Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc. The warranty will be void if the neck does not get a hard shell finish in 30 days of delivery. We do not consider oil finishes or poorly applied wipe-on finishes adequate protection.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the neck and it's very nice. Instead of Tru-oil I'll put on a hard finish as they recommend. 2 questions:

1. What satin finish does anyone here recommend that feels similar to bare wood? (and is easy to apply)

2. It has the cream phenolic dots. If I ever want to dye the rosewood fingerboard (w. Behlen Solarlux) for a darker look, will the phenolic dots absorb any of the dye? Is it neccessary to tape them over?

(Thanks again)

Edited by Cherryburst