Fretboard Or Skunk Stripe. Or Both.

thats pretty much it - relatively standardised production whether its a maple blank with maple fretboard, 1-piece maple neck or maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

if it has a separate fretboard glue it on first - after that everything can be done the same way!

I agree the reason would be for the production process, but I also think its actually better for tone and resonance because there is less neck timber removed just under the fretboard. I can't see that it would make a huge amount of difference but apparently it took Martin a long time to add adjustable trussrods because of this reason and I also read somewhere that Fender started off making their guitars with no trussrod, although it took a lot longer to make the guitar. There is a company out there somewhere making guitars this original Fender way

Fender started without a truss rod because it's easier to manufacture that way. But it's harder to make an instrument that plays perfectly, so the rod gets added.

Whether you add a rod from the back or the fretboard side of the neck doesn't affect the amount of wood removed; only the type of rod used does. Glue in a fillet over the rod from either side and the net result is the same. Martin's been stiffening their necks with solid bars for a long time, and I'm guessing in a lot of ways it's been a 'if it aint broke don't fix it' sort of thing.

Personally, I like the look of a skunk stripe on a maple neck, but I hate maple fingerboards (don't like the feel, don't mind the look)

i dont see how either method would produce more or less timber in the neck??? ok, maybe alter the maple:rosewood(or walnut) ratio slightly - but we are talking a very small amount of wood and any tonal variation would be within what you would expect between different pieces of maple

I brought it up because I have a Johnson bass neck ( maple ) with a skunk stripe *and* a rosewood FB. I just couldn't see a 'company' dong things the harder/more expensive way...

so seeing both made no sense unless they already had a pile of skunk striped necks when they went to FB installing...

its a good neck, just seems like extra work for nothing to me.