Site upgrade hiccups - post editor disabled....working on a fix.... ×

Built Me A Toooob Amp

So I fired it up for the first time last night.....

.....and I've obviously done something wrong because I'm getting virtually no gain. SO I need to troubleshoot that.

That said, even with only the slightest hint of very mild crunch, this thing sounded pretty sweet. very little noise, or hiss - none of the picking up 27 radio stations that my marshall ministack has, and just a really smooth sound.

If I can get the gain issue fixed I think this is going to be a winner.

It's neat. deffo not as satisfying as (designing and) building a guitar - and the whole threat of electrocution thing just makes me very nervous - but still very cool.

Definitely nicer than walking into guitar center and buying a 15w Egnater or Bugera.

I'm now wondering if I've done everything perfectly, but it's just a really low gain amp......

i did a quick look at the schematics and to be honest it doesnt look like a high gain amp but you should be getting some nice vintage style classic rock gain out of it. have you tried putting a good pedal in front of it?

Figured out the gain issue - somewhere along one of my shielded wire runs, the signal was being (partly) shunted to ground. There was nothing visible so must have been within the wire insulation at some point.

NOW this amp is really really sweet. Once I get used to having to wait for the tubes to warm up before I can play, I'll be all set.

I'd recommend building one of these - I was really worried it was all going to be beyond me, but if you have even a smack of intelligence it's pretty straightforward. And fun!

Once I get used to having to wait for the tubes to warm up before I can play,

thats what prompted me to get my mustang amp. i wanted something i could flip the switch on and be playing. but nothing sounds like a good tube amp at one time i though it was a bunch of bs but i learned.

• 2 months later...

VERY NICE Johnny, I myself am starting a P1 amp build, but also opting for the HO expansion as well as some add-ons. I will post those shots to this thread or on a tut thread maybe. Thing is, my friend at work is the one who turned me on to these and he has built three himself and is doing a custom or two for some people. The one that impresses me the most though is one he completed called a Spitfire, Matchless style Spitfire Amp. Its only 15 watts but WOW, it sounds great. If you feel the need to do another, that's one I would highly suggest. I will eventually get to that one as well. Great job, and I love the paint job on it!

• 2 weeks later...