#3 Is A Single Cut

ScottR

Scott...I was wondering in the earlier pictures, but thought it might be angle. Is that headstock a little wider than the ones you've done in the past?

I have your caps?? Uh oh....I sort of remember you giving me a bag of those back when you built mine. I'll look for those tonight.

COOL! Get that sucker setup! We'll rock it this next weekend if you got time.

It's a little wider in the area of the top two tuners. They were crowding that little carved rib in the past, so I gave them a little more room. I also used mini tuners to create a little more space, which creates the illusion of it being wider than it is. I think I like the looks of the mid sized ones better though, to tell the truth.

Sr

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I'll get some better shots up in the next few days after I finish the set up. Yesterday I was literally in the middle uf setting saddle heights, when I noticed the light was going....away. I grabbed it and the camara and ran to the only spot in the back yard that had enough light to get a couple of shots. I hadn't noticed till just now, but I think you can see the sunset in the reflections in the clear. :D

SR

Thanks guys. I'll get some better shots up in the next few days after I finish the set up. Yesterday I was literally in the middle uf setting saddle heights, when I noticed the light was going....away. I grabbed it and the camara and ran to the only spot in the back yard that had enough light to get a couple of shots. I hadn't noticed till just now, but I think you can see the sunset in the reflections in the clear. :D

SR

I hope you washed those socks before you buffed the guitar :-) But seriously, I've never been a Les Paul fan (the guitar shape, not the player), the strat shape simply epitomizes the electric guitar for me but THIS is pure sex. I want to touch that headstock volute in ways that would probably get me jailed in most countries. Pray do enter this for GOTM.

Also: Any chance of soundclips?

so long

Andreas aka Ace

Ha! The socks came from the (laundered) sock drawer, from that dark corner where you shove all the pairs that aren't fit to wear in public, but still don't have any holes in them yet. Everyone has a corner like that in their sock drawer, right?

There are plans for soundclips, Mr. Hook, aka Skullsession, has an excellent studio in which he does first rate work. I was going to ask him if he minded me posting a link to it, but I see he's added it to his signature. He has generously offered to put this in the hands of some of his hot shot players and make some professionally recorded clips. I can't wait.

GOTM? We'll see..... if I can pull off some decent shots.

SR

Caps located and delivered this morning.

I guess looking for those got me motivated to dive into the great re-wiring project on the one Scott built for me a couple of years ago. I MADE him let ME wire the dang thing up so I could learn a thing or two.

I learned that abstract thought is pretty necessary when you're looking at a diagram where the volume and tone pots are shown mirroring each other, but you're wiring concentric pots.

I STILL can't figure out how to get that dang Fishman piezo bridge and preamp to hook up to the three way switch so that the middle position blends the magnetics and the piezo. I guess I gotta call Fishman...their instructions are goofy. Can't make sense of it.

I also learned that you can end up with a whole butt-load of extra cable in there if you don't know what the hell you're doing. Got in there last night and rewired it to clean it up. At least now I know it's not so ugly in there...no one else would have known, I guess.

BTW...I had my hands on Scott's new guitar a couple of days ago. REALLY nice piece of work. Just wonderful to hold. Balance is beautiful. Blows the other guitars he's done out of the water. MILES ahead of where he's been so far. Can't wait to see what's happening in another couple of years with his builds.

Now if I can just get him to understand that dang Walnut top is too dark, and to never make that mistake again. :D (Only half-kidding...it does look pretty sweet. Not nearly as dark as some of the earlier photos made it seem.)

Edited by Skullsession

Ahhhh....I'm not sure how to respond to that one gracefully. :D

I got the set up done. Then I was playing and noticed I had one string slot in the nut a little lower than the rest, and the action on that string was a little better than the rest. So I tweaked the rest of the slots and set it up again. So now, for it to be done "done" I need to change out that cap, install the strap buttons and truss rod cover--if I decide to put on a truss rod cover.

And take one last set of pics. This week end should see it done "done".

SR

oh em gee, I love the finish! Its so... clear! You get the shine, but you can still see the grain pores. I love how your logo sort of matches the sweep of the lower horn into the heal as well.

And your bonsai is very pretty :D

If I had to pick something I didn't like about it, it would be the "look" of the P90s. They need to be... cleaner... less old looking I guess.

oh em gee, I love the finish! Its so... clear! You get the shine, but you can still see the grain pores. I love how your logo sort of matches the sweep of the lower horn into the heal as well.

And your bonsai is very pretty :D

If I had to pick something I didn't like about it, it would be the "look" of the P90s. They need to be... cleaner... less old looking I guess.

I can't say if I'd call this guitar a modern looking design; I don't think it really a vintage design, so I can see how vintage type pickups might look out of place.

Unless you just mean I should have wiped them off before taking these pics. :D

SR

i think its the look of the black hardware that slightly holds it back - chrome would work better, for me at least. i would be interested in seeing cream P-90 covers as well, creamy colours work well next to walnut in a chocolate/vanilla kind of way

i think its the look of the black hardware that slightly holds it back - chrome would work better, for me at least. i would be interested in seeing cream P-90 covers as well, creamy colours work well next to walnut in a chocolate/vanilla kind of way

I cannot explain why.....but I've always liked black hardware, and, have never been a fan of cream covers or rings or bobbins.

Having said that, cream covers would balance out the bone nut.

Hmmmmm.

If I keep building these things, I can see I'm going to have to explore other hardware options and new colors, just to be sure there's not something out there I like better.

SR

I think the black hardware works good as is. Going with chrome or gold hardware or cream pickups really takes the focus away from the wood itself and with such an over the top piece of walnut like that, that would be that last thing I'd want.

I think the black hardware works good as is. Going with chrome or gold hardware or cream pickups really takes the focus away from the wood itself and with such an over the top piece of walnut like that, that would be that last thing I'd want.

i used to think a similar way - make it all about the wood, but now i prefer to make it about the overall look of a guitar, and i find guitar hardware to be an important part of the aesthetics

i am not saying this looks bad as it is, it really is an awesome piece of work and an awesome piece of wood.

but as awesome as that walnut is, its still a predominantly brown piece of wood, with black hardware and pickups... which is why i would want to try the little highlight of a chrome bridge or cream pickups as a subtle way to enhance the overall aesthetics. chances are that after trying i may find i prefer the black anyway, but its always useful to have a spare set of pickup covers so nothing would be lost for trying

the walnuts quality will shine through no matter what colour the hardware is